The last day of Hyperius.

Started by metalsynkk, January 09, 2014, 08:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalsynkk

tl;dr I was bored and the game really took me, hehe.

Mediafire link for the people who don't have Winrar: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rtb86adkq09klid/Hyperius.zip

So, this is how my current Classic Kassandra playthrough looks like. I was bored and wanted to see whatever would happen (well, it was quite logical) when I mined all the natural minerals that were to find on a map, since almost half of a map consists of plain rock. It took me just under 280 days to mine everything out, and with loads of trial and error in the start I found out that the best defense to keep groups of 5+ raiders out indefinitely was by researching blast charges (all thanks to Pratt, my trusty researcher that did almost all research in the first few days) and placing them just before the double doors. Total kill count (some graves have been used double as apparently corpses inside graves that are struck by lightning just burn down anyways) is between 800-900 raiders. I tried to keep as many graves as possible to showcase my triumphs, since gibbet cages were being ignored (even though I had multiple set up and no other graves, the colonists firmly agrees to ignore them and just let the corpses be) and I gave up.

About the 440k cash (which you don't see here since I hid the UI; I also had 7700 something metal and 1750 food left): traders. Lots and lots of traders. When I reached around 50k I had noticed that the cash flow increases with the selling of weapons despite anything that you would buy (be it food, minerals or even slaves) so I just banked everything and bought all possible food, minerals and some slaves, and sold as much guns as possible. This also explains my numerous armories, due to raids growing in size, the largest recoreded onwas 53 raiders I believe.

Traders were also more than enough to supply me with almost anything, leaving loads of time to mine or grow food. Food was also something I rather liked to trade, increasing the cash flow which I never even used in the end. Slave traders were pretty scarce, and since explosions almost never leave survivors (there was that ONE time thought, but he ended up in a rampage and was unfortunately killed).

The base, as the image depicts, consists of rather simple elements since there is not THAT much of a variation in content. Solar panels and stored energy were ignored from the start, knowing from a previous Chill Callie playthrough that even if you only leave on the basic needs it drains pretty quickly, and the only power source stable enough to consistently support almost any number of facilities (not lighting, it really hungers on power) were the Geothermal Generators. I got spawned near one, and the other one was barely walking distance away so I quickly put up some wiring to have power for expansion. I did have bad luck around the end of the game, where lightning struck one generator 3 times in only a couple of days.

Which leads me to something which is always the worst disaster to ever happen: fire. Do not let that f*cker spread, I swear to god. It causes more damage than an initial raider attack if only defended by turrets. The AI of colonists is not really that smart at the present moment, so when they put out a fire they go around doing whatever else they were assigned to do as well, do one block of that, and then come back to 3 more spaces of fire. Since I can't be arsed to switcj priorities all the time, I just eventually sold walls to not let it spread, and made loads of concrete floors since those are immune to lightning and thus also fire.

The rest of the base is straightforward: 2 feeding halls, so to speak, depending on where a raider attack took place so there would be a place to eat while shoving all the weapons and bodies, thus less time-consuming in terms of walking distance. There is only one set of sleeping quarters at the bottom, which was first in the main base before I moved on to mining in the bottom of the map.

The turrets were pretty much useless after I started perfecting the explosive tactic, but I kept them for aesthetic purposes, and as a possible last line of defense if the raiders didn't give up. Sometimes they give up but a few still try to break through, making them possible prisoner targets.

There are many stockpile areas; there used to be way more depending on where I was working. Supply drops from my own ship were sometimes dropping often enough for me to make it profitable to make a stockpile area just next to them, and the stockpiles in the whole left part where the mining took place have switched places so often I lost count at all.

The problem with slag and rock rubble was quickly solved as they are moderately easy destroyed by the same explosive charges, making the scenery a little more bearable at times. The dumping grounds that are still around may or may not be moved depending on whether I want to perfectionize the map and how it looks.

Another important point for everyone out there: raiders and supply drops (the ones from the wreckage) drop wherever the f*ck they want to except small and medium rooms. I tried building different wall setups, sandbag setups, and ground types, but in the end raiders were almost always dropping in on the concrete to the top right. Again, something I may or may not prevent in the future depending on my further interest in this playthrough.

Also, a little extra note on the explosive tactic: while effective, it is moderately expensive to rebuild every time depending on what stage of the game you are in. At first, 2-3 charges (70-105 metal + eventual walls) are not that expensive every couple of days, but in the mid and end-game I had to setup whole halls so the raiders would first of all get stopped by the doors practically reducing a whole area of them to just 1 block of cramped people, and the cost of maintaining such a defense in multiple points of the map quickly rose to 500 and sometimes 1000 metal per couple of days. It is still the most effective way to deal with large groups, since as I said they will be coming in groupf ranging between 35 and 55 in the end.

And so, the image (watch out, the whole map):

Short words from the colonists themselves:

Pratt, female, 22: "It was all worth it in the end, even thought I wasn't the best shot or the quickest builder."
Morrow, male, 22: "I got the pick, I got the power. Thank god Zuniga got over his mental problems."
Zuniga, male, 41: "I guess the midlife crisis really got to me this time, damn."
Price, male, 25: "I'm pretty proud of achieving all this with my fellow mates 'ere."
Burton, male, 36: "So glad these boys picked me up from the darned slavedrivers, I thought I was never gonna see the light again!"
Hayden, male, 21: "I was picked up thinking I was all alone in this godforsaken place, then the raiders hit us, then I shot some, and then it was all good."
Love, male, 41: "Ain't got no love to give, why do yo all keep calling me that?"
Scott, female (randomzing, please), 38: "At least here people accepted me. I did my share, and got more than I ever could ask for."
Melendez, female, 16: "Everyone finds a use when they bind together. Keep close, stay warm."
Schultz, male, 34: "That Morrow guy, I know why they call him that. He does everything early. Should be done tomorrow, but he does it today."

That's it, I think I bored you all long enough, just felt like sharing the last 2 days I have been playing like mad. About Morrow, that joke really hit me an hour ago before starting to type this all out. It actually fits him, cause I did notice that he was the one staying up late and sometimes finishing some of the most important things in the most dire of moments.

If you liked it, maybe I can do a more detailed story (this wasn't really a story but more of a summary) with another playthrough, actually pausing the game and typing stuff out.

M.

PS: I attached the last save file (day 279) for the people wanting to continue or just mess around. You know, earse my 900 kills with just not doing anything during a 50 man raid. The save file was just too large even compressed at best quality (the 300kb limit is kinda low) so it's in 2 parts.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Ender

soooo how do we combine those files? :P
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

metalsynkk

Quote from: Ender on January 26, 2014, 08:40:03 PM

You just select both of them with Winrar, right click for the options, and select "Extract Files..." or "Extract Here...".

I will edit the original post with a Mediafire link, I wonder why I haven't thought of that before.

Edit: Mediafire is hating on me and doesn't want to upload.

Edit2: Nevermind, got it.

Ender

Quote from: metalsynkk on January 27, 2014, 09:23:40 AM
Quote from: Ender on January 26, 2014, 08:40:03 PM

You just select both of them with Winrar, right click for the options, and select "Extract Files..." or "Extract Here...".

I will edit the original post with a Mediafire link, I wonder why I haven't thought of that before.

Edit: Mediafire is hating on me and doesn't want to upload.

Edit2: Nevermind, got it.
its fine i have winrar i get it now
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....