Things I Wish I'd Known Sooner

Started by MisterVertigo, September 10, 2015, 02:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Quote from: Fernbhoy on October 01, 2015, 06:23:55 AM
no matter how many times i reload my game, my same 4 colonists are destined to get Maleria on the same day.

It just means that the event is already scheduled, but not yet defined on what's going to happen. Try the same with a raid event ;)

What I saw is, that the raid will still happen. But since there are more options to choose from. I had mechs, then it were tribals, next is was a siege, back to tribals etc. was fun for few reloads. I choose for the mech raid as I have no problems with them (10 tribals just wrecked my colony of 3 pawns).
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

rexx1888

It took me a long arse time to train myself not to save scum, but i am finding the game is a lot more fun now. I find that im less stressed out as my colony just sort of falls apart because of some Randy bs lol. I aint perfect at it, but i think in the long run its good for me. Its definately good for my urge to play the game. im having way more fun now than i used to.

ToXeye

Feeding pets: You can kill an animal of your choice and dog pets will go eat on the corpse (probably at least). Make sure to dump the corpse near the dog, and that should work fine.

Making space: The fastest way to clear an area for wind turbines, is to put down concrete floor. It's ugly but definitively the fastest method. The next fastest is putting down wood floor. The slowest is to cut down plants.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

Limdood

Quote from: Daman453 on September 12, 2015, 03:23:12 PM
RAIDERS DO NOT BREAK DOWN DOOR IF YOU LEAVE A SPACE! This can mean many things, make a open trap setup with turrets. And then a door for your people. Um, right now i'm mining into a mountain and i used the trick of leaving a gap so raiders walk right past. (Using different wings, WIP)

This is a standard defensive tactic i use now.  I prefer playing without turrets, so my early defensive aid consists of a ~9 tile long, 1 tile wide hallway lined with deadfall traps...with a door 2 tiles away and my colonists use the door to avoid the traps.  Raiders wander thru the hallway (or split up and hit walls while half go thru...even better) and it usually downs 1 or 2 right away.

Things i learned?

enemies target the closest non-burning, non-incapacitated pawn to shoot.  Placing a personal shielded brawler (or pacifist, *snicker*) in heavy cover close to the enemy, means your shooters can stand behind him (and off-center!) in the open and just shoot away.

Plasteel autodoors now only cost 25 plasteel (plus steel and components like all autodoors) but have 700 hp as opposed to 250 for a steel autodoor.

In a cold base with connected rooms, you can leave doors open to facilitate movement, and only heat the rooms about 3 deep from the outside.  The way heat goes thru open doors, you'll keep the whole base at a livable temperature even with open doors straight to the outside.

jaeden25

Don't rush to research stuff. You can live for a surprisingly long time without research and the extra pair of hands building up your initial colony makes things x10 easier later.

hector212121

That beds had quality.

When I realized that, and that it effected how long they slept?

I built, like. A million beds in succession. Then reinstalled the good ones indoors.

RX2000

Quote from: jaeden25 on April 12, 2016, 10:20:30 AM
Don't rush to research stuff. You can live for a surprisingly long time without research and the extra pair of hands building up your initial colony makes things x10 easier later.

Of course this kind of depends on where you are starting at. If you are on an ice sheet you pretty much have to make a beeline towards hydroponics.....

skullywag

Do not lock cats and dogs into a room together.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Listen1

If you are gonna butcher the family of a colonist, it's best to butcher the colonist along with his pet boar.

Had a real madness spiral in one of my games, should have done that.

Too-DAMN-Much

three turrets inside every prisoner cell makes perfect sense and make SURE you strip them first.

b0rsuk

You can save huge amounts of energy if you put your turrets behind a switch and only switch them on in case of a raid. Now I only leave 1-2 turrets on to stop prison breaks.

When you click on a circuit or battery, you see text along the lines: Connected rate/Stored -300W/1000Wd. It means you have 300 less power production than power use, and 1000 stored. A positive number means you're charging your batteries.

Uninstalled batteries never explode.

The moment your melee fighter gets a terrible mood, pause and order him to drop his weapon. Don't take any chances - he might punch people in a social fight, but a proper berserker will slash and stab.

Hold doors open when you're extinguishing a fire indoors. It greatly helps to keep temperature manageable.

cultist

Some activities allow pawns to sit while others don't. So you can increase overall comfort level (and thereby mood) by placing chairs in the right places.

Stonecutting and cooking does not allow sitting, but sculpting and tailoring does. Unsure about smithing and machining.

Most joy activities (that involves a structure/item) allows sitting, except horseshoes. Unsure about meditation and praying, but it's hard to predict exactly what spot the pawn will choose for this activity. Would be nice if colonists checked for something to sit on in their bedroom when choosing to do this.

Aatxe360

Quote from: Too-DAMN-Much on September 14, 2015, 02:44:03 AM
hehe, i just saw a youtuber i like learn why most of us build in steel, well... actually only nearly thankfully.

Why is this and what is usually built.  There are a lot of things that can be built and I am aware that most electronics/devices default to steel anyway.

hector212121

Because of fire.

That said, I always build in stone when possible. I tend to have a few trash characters because you CAN'T REJECT PEOPLE, so I keep them on the stonecutting table.

Vaporisor

Quote from: hector212121 on April 30, 2016, 01:25:39 PM
Because of fire.

That said, I always build in stone when possible. I tend to have a few trash characters because you CAN'T REJECT PEOPLE, so I keep them on the stonecutting table.

Also, if you get a fire in a storeroom, knock out a wall before you move your guys in ^.^
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes