Farming problems.

Started by Bob Kelso, September 10, 2015, 08:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Kelso

Hey everyone. I recently came back to RimWorld, and am having a problem. I looked around and didn't see anyone else having these problems, so I decided to post. Farming, I understand you only want your best growers to do the farming to minimize the planting damage  and harvesting failure. But my people are not harvesting. At all. The plants grow, mature, then sit there and rot because they won't harvest them.

I have tried manually harvesting, but i get the message "must designate harvestable sufficiently-grown plants." All it allows me to do is cut the plant, which it says on the tooltip will harvest, but i have never gotten anything from it. I do have a rare occurrence of a failed harvest, but still on 95% of the crops that are cut theres zero harvested. I didn't know if I was doing something wrong with the planting, or was this a bug? I was just wondering if anyone else was having a problem with your colonists not harvesting the food.

Too-DAMN-Much

you have both farming and plant cutting designated in the work menu?

it always seemed strange and a bit silly to split it in half like that to me too.

Bob Kelso

Yes both are designated, which is why it seems strange to me too lol. It's like they just ignore the crops after they sew them.

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: Bob Kelso on September 10, 2015, 09:00:22 PM
Yes both are designated, which is why it seems strange to me too lol. It's like they just ignore the crops after they sew them.

i wasn't sure from what you wrote if that was the problem or not.
hmm.... trying to think what else would cause this, oh actually, check if the plants are in the growing season maybe? i'm fairly positive i've been blocked from harvesting a plant that was fully grown due to being out of season, other than that not sure though.

Bob Kelso

Well I'm in a tropical rainforest, mountainous, and the growing period says year round. I even rushed hydroponics to see if it was just outside farming that was messing up. But it's still doing the same thing. I am at a loss.

Riddle78

Got any mods installed? One or more might be the issue; Speaking from very recent experience (earlier today) here,mods can break things in the strangest of ways.

ble210

Are the plants fully grown?  Hover over them, and they will say the % at which they are grown.  Unless that percentage is very high, you can't harvest them, and if you cut them you will get not get food.

Regret

Are they in a forbidden zone?

TLHeart

Quote from: Too-DAMN-Much on September 10, 2015, 08:56:10 PM

it always seemed strange and a bit silly to split it in half like that to me too.

Plant cutting has NOTHING to do with the growers harvesting crops.

Plant cutting is a dumb labor skill, that is used for the chopping, cutting and harvesting of WILD plants.

If you manually designate your planted crops to be harvested, then the plant cutting skill is used, which is always a skill level of 3, and will greatly reduce the harvest yield.

TLHeart

Quote from: Bob Kelso on September 10, 2015, 08:54:14 PM
Hey everyone. I recently came back to RimWorld, and am having a problem. I looked around and didn't see anyone else having these problems, so I decided to post. Farming, I understand you only want your best growers to do the farming to minimize the planting damage  and harvesting failure. But my people are not harvesting. At all. The plants grow, mature, then sit there and rot because they won't harvest them.

I have tried manually harvesting, but i get the message "must designate harvestable sufficiently-grown plants." All it allows me to do is cut the plant, which it says on the tooltip will harvest, but i have never gotten anything from it. I do have a rare occurrence of a failed harvest, but still on 95% of the crops that are cut theres zero harvested. I didn't know if I was doing something wrong with the planting, or was this a bug? I was just wondering if anyone else was having a problem with your colonists not harvesting the food.

Just from the line,  "must designate harvestable sufficiently-grown plants." tells me the plants are not fully grown...

The growers will harvest once the plants are fully grown, not before.

laston

Also note that plants have a lifetime and if it takes longer to grow than when it's harvest able then it will die.
For example corn takes a long time on gravel.... almost have no time before it rot once harvestable.  Also pics would help.

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: TLHeart on September 11, 2015, 10:06:36 AM
Quote from: Too-DAMN-Much on September 10, 2015, 08:56:10 PM

Plant cutting has NOTHING to do with the growers harvesting crops.

Plant cutting is a dumb labor skill, that is used for the chopping, cutting and harvesting of WILD plants.

If you manually designate your planted crops to be harvested, then the plant cutting skill is used, which is always a skill level of 3, and will greatly reduce the harvest yield.

that was a fairly old observation of mine anyway, chalk it up as bug fixed i suppose.