Feeling limited with priorities

Started by Fishirboy, August 27, 2015, 02:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: Menuhin on August 30, 2015, 12:35:18 AM
Quote from: Weyrling on August 29, 2015, 05:27:40 AM
The issue with 'total granularity' is that if the scale went from 1-20 then I'd have to click like 100 more times to switch a moderate colony's priorities around, and that's just way too much.

Honestly by the time I worry about the priority of half the things on the list I have colonists literally dedicated to specific tasks, having more than 4 numbers would be redundant to me.

Being able to drag the columns around also seems superfluous to me, but atleast it wouldn't actively lessen my enjoyment of the game while also presumably fixing all the issues brought up so far.

This is pretty much spot on for me as well.  I would not want to see more numbers added, it would make manual priorities cumbersome.  If entire columns were able to be moved; I doubt i would ever use that but it wouldn't negatively affect my game play.

And as far as being able to move things around, I'd far rather be able to move colonists rows around which ultimately changes nothing except more of an ability to sort ppl.

first off, it's hard to really take seriously the "i'd have to click once more if you get the priorities bug fixed" stance seriously, sorry, but yeah, come on, let's stop being superflous and needlessly exaggerating a non-issue.

secondly, the more i think about it, the more the problem is with hauling itself and how that functions mechanically in rimworld due to a few things which cause it to take a mind boggling amount more effort than reality:
1. i may only be able to carry so many limes as a general statement, but at the same time, i can use a wheelbarrow, bag or backpack of some sort to temporarily carry more.
2. jobs which create resources will over ride the need to haul as noted on previous pages in this page of discussions, what this means is that mining, growing, chopping trees and probably even hunting in large enough designations creates more work than your work force can realistically compensate for.

FMJ Penguin

God man, what I wouldn't give for a wheelbarrow like df used them. Just as a transport device and leave it in the stockpiles when not in use. Especially on those tree-heavy maps. I'm also curious how the actual "storage spot" is chosen in a stockpile too. Seems like it isn't the closest spot or the furthest but some random spot with no distance taken into account.

As far as the worry about too many mouse clicks to get what you want.... don't forget you can left and right click to raise and lower the numbers so it's pretty much a complete non-issue anyways. You could literally have 1k choices and it wouldn't mean you actually did any more clicky-clicky. If that makes any sense.
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

DarknessEyes

Quote from: TLHeart on August 29, 2015, 05:32:21 PM
Quote from: DarknessEyes on August 29, 2015, 05:08:55 PM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 29, 2015, 12:46:23 PM
Your setup is wrong then as you're not using the system properly. The work system is not made to allow several days of work on automatic, with you doing nothing. You have to set it up properly. Is your one pawn really needing a bit less then half the work options in that order? I honestly doubt you use that set up.

Lets make an example with Researching as "Main skill", Growing as "Alt skill #1" and Cooking as "Alt skill #2".

1) Firefighting: 1
2) Doctoring: 1
3) Patient: 1
4) Repairing: 1
5) Researching: 1
6) Hauling: 2
7) Hunting: 3
8) Plant cutting: 3
9) Growing: 4
10) Cooking: 5
11) Cleaning: 5

and once again no pawn will ever get past job #2 in your list in one day.

Researching is always almost in progress, so that job might have been a bad example.
But you can only do growing from X to Y months (depends on map), even if its all year i dont have people growing 24/7.
I have cooking limited to "until you have X meals"
Hunting and plant cutting i only use if i need wood or run low on food.
Hauling since the items outside take damage over time i try to keep everything inside.

Then, when the man hunters come i have to close everyone inside my base, which reduces amount of available jobs...
De Surgeries
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18976.0
Adds 26 new surgeries to Rimworld.

Mikhail Reign

How about instead of the numbers system we just put... Like little boxes (that represented different jobs) after the colonists name? So no titled columns or anything, just road with the colonist name and then you 'drag into the row' or 'right click>select from list' the names of the jobs in the order you want it done.

It would be no wider the it takes to display each job once (as it is now), wouldn't require more clicks (less actually), and you could make every possible combination.

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on September 01, 2015, 12:18:18 AM
How about instead of the numbers system we just put... Like little boxes (that represented different jobs) after the colonists name? So no titled columns or anything, just road with the colonist name and then you 'drag into the row' or 'right click>select from list' the names of the jobs in the order you want it done.

It would be no wider the it takes to display each job once (as it is now), wouldn't require more clicks (less actually), and you could make every possible combination.

not a bad idea honestly, might be easier to visualize your colonist's workflow that way at least, which hopefully would help a bit.

DarknessEyes

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on September 01, 2015, 12:18:18 AM

+1
De Surgeries
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18976.0
Adds 26 new surgeries to Rimworld.

OverlordMark

I think I would like it if I could set some sort of priority override for things that need to be done *now*.

If I really needed lots of something hauling away I could select them all, click on "Haul" and then everybody would do that first before reverting to the job priority system. 

It would probably be a little inefficient for crafting, due to people who are a bit rubbish helping out, but it would be great for clearing out a field of potatoes or mining some metal.

Toggle

Nuu the thread was dead and it was okay that way.

Also, there's a mod for that. Not sure if he's published it yet, I'll check.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

akiceabear

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on September 12, 2015, 09:39:05 PM
Also, there's a mod for that. Not sure if he's published it yet, I'll check.

Yes, please see that this gets published! Priority haul was a great mod back around A8.