Changes to Chickens

Started by Kajin, September 13, 2015, 04:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loki88

Frying flies and bugs onto the chicken, not cleaning the breading tray all shift when they're supposed to after each batch, leaving bags of chicken out of the fridge for hours and still using it... Etc etc...

I still like chicken though! I actually just made some grilled chicken for lunch :P

FMJ Penguin

you're terrible... haha   :o
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

Loki88

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on September 19, 2015, 04:55:31 PM
you're terrible... haha   :o

How? I never worked at KFC before, I worked at East Side Mario's  ;)

FMJ Penguin

sure you didn't...... I bet you basted chicken breasts with boogers after picking your nose.  :o
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

chaotix14

So for anyone still interested in the original topic of this thread. I've been running a small experiment to check how much food per egg you get from a hen. Turns out it takes about 36% nutrition per egg. "But that's a horrible exchange rate, an egg is only 25% nutrition", I hear you say. It kinda is, and it kinda isn't. First and foremost let's take in account that the main reason you'd want a steady supply of eggs is to avoid requiring a steady supply of meat for fine/lavish meals. For fine meals the exchange rate is rather favorable, since it takes 25% nutrition veggy and 25% nutrition something else(meat/eggs), resulting in a meal that gives 90% nutrition, which means the egg(25% nutrition) gives 45% nutrition if used for a fine meal, sounds like a net gain to me. Lavish meals, well you get equal nutrition from the meal as the ingredients you put in them, not so favorable for egg farming.

And as we all should know by now, animals are a lot easier to feed than colonists. They can eat plants that have grown to 80% for 20% nutrition(dandelions are even 30% if I recall correctly), can eat the much most efficient crop(haygrass, which has the best yield per time for any crop on any soil) and if chickens become omnivores you can even feed them the mountains of human flesh that is regularly supplied to you.

So.... In their current state they aren't as bad as some people seem to think. They are perhaps not the most ideal animals, but they are not a waste of resources. Except excess roosters, but that's common among all animals and not chicken specific.

MultiDavid

Quote from: chaotix14 on September 20, 2015, 11:08:41 AM
So for anyone still interested in the original topic of this thread. I've been running a small experiment to check how much food per egg you get from a hen. Turns out it takes about 36% nutrition per egg. "But that's a horrible exchange rate, an egg is only 25% nutrition", I hear you say. It kinda is, and it kinda isn't. First and foremost let's take in account that the main reason you'd want a steady supply of eggs is to avoid requiring a steady supply of meat for fine/lavish meals. For fine meals the exchange rate is rather favorable, since it takes 25% nutrition veggy and 25% nutrition something else(meat/eggs), resulting in a meal that gives 90% nutrition, which means the egg(25% nutrition) gives 45% nutrition if used for a fine meal, sounds like a net gain to me. Lavish meals, well you get equal nutrition from the meal as the ingredients you put in them, not so favorable for egg farming.

And as we all should know by now, animals are a lot easier to feed than colonists. They can eat plants that have grown to 80% for 20% nutrition(dandelions are even 30% if I recall correctly), can eat the much most efficient crop(haygrass, which has the best yield per time for any crop on any soil) and if chickens become omnivores you can even feed them the mountains of human flesh that is regularly supplied to you.

So.... In their current state they aren't as bad as some people seem to think. They are perhaps not the most ideal animals, but they are not a waste of resources. Except excess roosters, but that's common among all animals and not chicken specific.

They are also easy to replace should a couple die, that is a big plus :P

Loki88

Quote from: chaotix14 on September 20, 2015, 11:08:41 AM

Sorry for getting off topic. If modding your core files doesn't put you off it's pretty easy to change them to omnivores .

Go to: Mods > Core > Defs > ThingDefs > Races_Animal_Farm.xml

And look for

<ThingDef ParentName="BaseAnimal">
    <defName>Chicken</defName>
    <label>chicken</label>
    <description>The most traditional farm bird, the chicken is raised for its eggs and meat.</description>
    <statBases>
      <MoveSpeed>2.1</MoveSpeed>
      <ComfyTemperatureMin>0</ComfyTemperatureMin>
      <MarketValue>95</MarketValue>
      <LeatherAmount>0</LeatherAmount>
    </statBases>
    <verbs>
      <li>
        <verbClass>Verb_MeleeAttack</verbClass>
        <defaultCooldownTicks>100</defaultCooldownTicks>
        <meleeDamageBaseAmount>3</meleeDamageBaseAmount>
        <meleeDamageDef>Bite</meleeDamageDef>
        <linkedBodyPartsGroup>Teeth</linkedBodyPartsGroup>
      </li>
    </verbs>
    <comps>
      <li>
        <compClass>CompEggLayer</compClass>
        <eggUnfertilizedDef>EggChickenUnfertilized</eggUnfertilizedDef>
        <eggFertilizedDef>EggChickenFertilized</eggFertilizedDef>
        <eggFertilizationCountMax>1</eggFertilizationCountMax>
        <eggLayIntervalDays>1.9</eggLayIntervalDays>
        <eggCountRange>
          <min>1</min>
          <max>1</max>
        </eggCountRange>
      </li>
    </comps>
    <race>
      <body>Bird</body>
      <baseHungerRate>0.25</baseHungerRate>
      <baseBodySize>0.25</baseBodySize>
      <baseHealthScale>0.35</baseHealthScale>
      <diet>Herbivorous</diet>
      <trainableIntelligence>None</trainableIntelligence>
      <wildness>0</wildness>
      <nuzzleChancePerHour>0.002</nuzzleChancePerHour>
      <nuzzlePower>0.5</nuzzlePower>
      <manhunterOnDamageChance>0.005</manhunterOnDamageChance>
      <gestationPeriodDays>14</gestationPeriodDays>
      <mateChancePerHour>0.5</mateChancePerHour>
      <litterSizeCurve>
        <points>
          <li>(0.99, 0)</li>
          <li>(1, 1)</li>
          <li>(1.01, 0)</li>
        </points>
      </litterSizeCurve>
      <lifeExpectancy>6</lifeExpectancy>
      <lifeStageAges>
        <li>
          <def>AnimalBaby</def>
          <minAge>0</minAge>
        </li>
        <li>
          <def>AnimalJuvenile</def>
          <minAge>0.05</minAge>
        </li>
        <li>
          <def>AnimalAdult</def>
          <minAge>0.2</minAge>
          <soundWounded>Pawn_Chicken_Wounded</soundWounded>
          <soundDeath>Pawn_Chicken_Death</soundDeath>
          <soundCall>Pawn_Chicken_Call</soundCall>
          <soundAngry>Pawn_Chicken_Angry</soundAngry>
        </li>
      </lifeStageAges>
      <soundMeleeHitPawn>Pawn_Melee_SmallScratch_HitPawn</soundMeleeHitPawn>
      <soundMeleeHitBuilding>Pawn_Melee_SmallScratch_HitBuilding</soundMeleeHitBuilding>
      <soundMeleeMiss>Pawn_Melee_SmallScratch_Miss</soundMeleeMiss>
    </race>
  </ThingDef>

Should be the first entry after the base defs.

Change: <diet>Herbivorous</diet>
To: <diet>Omnivorous</diet>

It's easy enough to turn this in to a mod if you don't feel to good about editing core files.