[1.0][MODLIST] Fluffy's Mods - New mini-mod: Power Cleaner [BETA]

Started by Fluffy (l2032), September 14, 2015, 06:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluffy (l2032)

hmm you guys raise some interesting points. I do think there's some good ideas in the bills tab, e.g. the ability to set thresholds with a thingfilter so you can finetune qualities/durabilities to be counted, and the ability to create bills for ingredients. However, for me, like many of you, the bills tab is the least used, and the only reason I do use it is to keep a few stacks of high quality clothing around - but going through the manager to set that up is actually quite clumsy.

I think I might rip the bills part out of the manager altogether and see if I can implement some of these ideas afresh in a new mod. It's also by far the oldest, most complicated and bug-ridden part of the manager, so that should be a win-win.

Update; I thought I was putting the final touches on the medical tab (can't wait to show you guys the new version!), but then I realized I've completely skipped the part where it can also show animals, prisoners, so I have some more work to do.

Which brings me to another question; someone suggested adding hostiles to the options for the medical tab, to be able to make quick triage decisions after a raid. I like and support that use-case, but I'm a little bit concerned it would get a bit cheaty - you would always know exactly how many hostiles there are on the map, what their status is, and be able to jump to them. I don't think a Medical Tab should provide this much information, but what do you guys think? I'm leaning towards an option where it only shows downed hostiles, which would enable you to do triage decisions, but not give god-like tactical information.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on May 18, 2017, 03:30:32 PM
Which brings me to another question; someone suggested adding hostiles to the options for the medical tab, to be able to make quick triage decisions after a raid. I like and support that use-case, but I'm a little bit concerned it would get a bit cheaty - you would always know exactly how many hostiles there are on the map, what their status is, and be able to jump to them. I don't think a Medical Tab should provide this much information, but what do you guys think? I'm leaning towards an option where it only shows downed hostiles, which would enable you to do triage decisions, but not give god-like tactical information.

Making it only detect downed (and hence no-longer-a-threat) enemies seems quite reasonable.

Definitely looking forward to seeing (or more importantly, using) the new version!

wolvern

Was wondering if you're able to add in a quantity slider to the stockpile zone above hit points so i can store 5-30 medicine in each med centre as well as 5-30 shells in piles at mortars because once someone has it in use the game marks the items as no longer present which stops pawns from doing their job.

khearn

I'm not sure having all the hostiles on the tab is that much of a problem. It's not like there is a fog of war and we can't find the hostiles without the tab. And we can click on any pawn and see its full medical status. The tab would just avoid having to scroll all over the map trying to find any pawns with red names and check their health tabs. That's pretty much where I draw the line between QoL and "cheaty" mods. If it doesn't expose anything I can't know without the mod, but just organizes the info that's already available to me, it's QoL. If it shows me stuff I wouldn't be able to know without the mod (like a scanner that shows unexposed mineral veins, for instance), then it falls into the "cheaty" category.

I mean, you already can "know exactly how many hostiles there are on the map, what their status is, and be able to jump to them." You just have to scroll around to look at every tile on the map and hope you don't miss any (which admittedly isn't likely, what with the red nametags). That falls into time-consuming tedium in my book, rather than enjoyable gameplay.

Maybe make it an option, so the player can decide if he wants to have the tab show him all the info that's available to him, or just the info on downed hostiles.

Now if the player is using the "Fog of War" mod, then you should only display those pawns that are currently visible, regardless of whether they are down or not. But I don't really expect you to try and make your mod compatible with every other mod in existance, so don't feel obligated to go that extra mile. :)

[ Note that I'm not very comfortable with the "cheaty" term used above. It's very possible to make a well-balanced mod that exposes hidden info at an appropriate cost, which wouldn't really be a cheat. And as we all are well aware, "there is no cheating in a single player game." So please don't take offense at "cheaty", I'm sure there's a better term, but it's just not coming to me at the moment. ]

Canute

So long the you don't show info's on the enemys you wouldn't see without i don't have anything against it.
Rather the to click any high-tech pirate and check for bionics, you could see it maybe on the list.
And i think hidden enemies inside cyrobaskets/rooms arn't active/shown until you actualy open the room/basket.

Or just seperate pirsoner from enemies. Since prisoner belong to your colony at some kind.

Fluffy (l2032)

@Canute; prisoners are already separated and fully shown. Not entirely sure what happens with escaped prisoners, but that's an edge case.

I have two problems with showing hostile pawns. First off, it's happened to me on more than one occasion that a few pawns of a raid sneakily separated from the main group, and caused havoc around my back/side/whatever entrance before I noticed them. To me, that's part of the game. Sure, I could have spotted them, but I didn't. Adding an easily accessible list of all enemies makes that scenario quite a bit less likely, and removes a fun (or FUN!) part of the game.

Second, enemies in cryo, hidden rooms, etc. would by default be visible. Sure, I can add some extra checks to make sure they're not on the list, but that introduces extra complexity and a bunch of special cases that may break down with updates and other mods, since I don't think there's any vanilla code I can rely on for that check (there might be, haven't looked very hard yet).

Canute

QuoteI have two problems with showing hostile pawns. First off, it's happened to me on more than one occasion that a few pawns of a raid sneakily separated from the main group
Yep i know what you mean. All land/appear as groupd at the same spot.
But a few move left of the mountain the other right and you forget them until you notice your base geting cold because they destroyed the ductsystem from an outside steamgeysir.

But the question is more, would you use the Tab overview to track all enemies during the raid over and over ?
I don't think so. I would use the tab to check what kind of enemies arrive and if they got maybe bionic parts i would like to have.
But during the main fight i wouldn't use the tab much, since it isn't important for the fight itself.
After the mainfight, yes there i could check it again to see if there are still enemies, and yes then you would detect these "sneakers" early then they maybe cause greater damage.
But you would detect them too, if you just zoom out and control the map self.

And this it is what your mod's are for, they made the handling / micromanagment a bit easyer. Instead to click at any pawn to check/adjust medical setings you can see it at once with the proper tab.

khearn

Fluffy,

Excellent point about hostiles in hidden rooms and cryocaskets. I change my vote, you should only show downed hostiles. Not that this is a democracy, it's your mod. :)

But I do appreciate that you take feedback from the rest of us. And I also really appreciate the effort you've put into these mods. Thanks!

faltonico

I dare you to show hidden pawns inside ancient dangers... Not even numbers can do that xD
Actually i don't know if numbers can show that and rather not do it, but now i can't see them in the latest version of the mod.
If you can make it to show only the ones downed it would be even better, it would be like a prefilter.

Fluffy (l2032)

Finally, I've got a version of MedicalTab ready for testing. It's a complete rewrite for A17, hopefully it'll be instantly recognizable for existing users - and a have a few new features to boost!

https://github.com/FluffierThanThou/MedicalTab/releases

Features;
- All columns can be sorted by
- Overview of all medically relevant data for colonists, animals, prisoners, visitors and hostiles*
- Medical Care setting ( hold shift for mass-assign, ctrl for defaults )
- Infection/disease progress ( outer circle represents 100%, inner red circle infection progress, inner white circle immunity )
- Bleeding, pain and capacity status
- - Hover to show a breakdown of things affecting the stat/capacity, procedures scheduled
- - Click to order procedures** ( left click for positive, right click for negative )

*; as per the above discussion, it will only show downed hostile pawns by default. You can toggle an option in the mod options to show all hostiles.
**; by default, it suggests implants, replacement parts as well as administering drugs. The drugs could be considered clutter (and noone wants to accidentally give a pawn a luciferium addiction), so there's a setting to turn off suggesting drugs.

Fluffy (l2032)

@faltonico; numbers probably does some checking to make sure they don't appear, because by default if you just query all the pawns on the map, they would certainly appear.

kaptain_kavern

DariusWolfe

Going to try it out right meow.

Any updates to your other A17 mods? I'm starting to build a stable of A17 mods, so it's getting harder to keep track of what's had updates..

Fluffy (l2032)

At this point everything but Colony Manager, Animal Tab and Work Tab are updated. I should add this to the front page, but they've been compiled against various unstable RimWorld versions, so I can't really guarantee if they'll work for the next unstable release.

Once A17 hits stable I'll recompile everything, do a final testing pass and get my pages here and on steam updated.

faltonico

@Fluffy (l2032) yes, after i posted i imagined something like that could be happening too.
Thank you for including that feature!