[1.0][MODLIST] Fluffy's Mods - New mini-mod: Power Cleaner [BETA]

Started by Fluffy (l2032), September 14, 2015, 06:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwWraith

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on January 12, 2018, 09:57:35 AM
It's still not perfect, but it's much better than it used to be.

I have to totally agree :)
It's usability is much better, a search bar and visible queue were often requested in ResearchPal's thread, and looks like there are no superpositions. Also I like the easily distinguishable techlevels. But here is some things I'd mention after a first glance:

1. The tree in ResearchPal was generated more compact. I'd suggest to add an ability to scroll this screen with middle mouse button as we scroll the map to make navigation easier.
2. Techs from Misc. Robots ++ mod named like "Simple\nHauler", "Simple\nCleaner", etc. show only the first line so there are several techs with just "Simple" in their headers. I'd suggest to include full tech's names in tooltips, it also will be useful with trimmed long names.
3. Also I'd suggest to show info about currently researching tech in the tooltip of the very "Research" button in main game mode, if it's possible to be changed dynamically.
4. I'd like to see the path to the tech highlighted when the mouse is over it even if it's currently unavailable (e.g. missing micro-analyzer).
5. HelpTab correctly detects tech status (locked / in progress / finished) but using "Research" button in HelpTab doesn't add that tech in ResearchTree's queue. I hope improving their integration is not a very hard task.
6. Probably a dev ability that hid in release: right-clicking on the tech researches it instantly ;)
7. How it will handle a (hypothetical) situation when e.g. some industrial-level tech will lead to some medieval?

Anyway, thanks a lot :)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Canute

RIP ResearchPal, long life ResearchTree.

Another masterpiece fluffy.

But one thing i notice like at some other mods from you the strange text.
Btw. i use the default engl. language no translation.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Harry_Dicks

Fluffy! Oh my God, I think you are my savior! I can't wait to try out Research Tree. BTW, some screenshots would be cool, but I think you are the kinda guy that prefers having your own custom "preview" graphic. Either way, I'm really excited for this. ResearchPal is great, but is sucks that I always have maybe 15-25 researches stacked/hidden on top of one another. So I would have to try to guess what the research is based upon the tooltip, then try to find the research with HelpTab. Ooooh boy, this is going to be great. I can't believe we didn't have a built in search functionality for research before this. Vanilla, sure you don't need it. But when you have maybe 400-500 research things, you definitely need it! You really are the God of modders for command, control, qol, and conveying game information to the player.

I haven't even tried it out yet, but I know for a fact if it comes from you, then it will honestly be a 10/10, instant must have mod for me! ;D ;D ;D

EDIT: Like Canute, I sometimes have that strange text in weird places. Does anyone know where it's from, what causes it, or what I can do to fix it? It is only in a couple places that I can remember, and it isn't too bothersome, but it is something I would like to fix if I could. One place I can remember it is, besides sometimes on the loading text like Canute posted, is when I use RealFoW. When an area hasn't been explored/discovered yet and you can't even see what's there at all, if I mouseover this unknown area, at the bottom left of screen (where it normally displays information about the cell), it says "Undiscovered Area" or something like that, but it has all of the crazy fonts like Canute had. Any help on this would be appreciated, but like I said, it isn't game ruining... just something I want to fix!

Fluffy (l2032)

@wwWraith; thanks for the feedback!
1: yeah, there is a lot of vertical space used for 'dummy' nodes, each connection that spans more than 1 column creates a series of dummies that are not rendered, but do take up space. That's how I avoid connections going underneath nodes, but it does create a bit too much space. Having dummy nodes be smaller than regular nodes is something I want to look at, but slightly tricky to implement.
2: geez, trust some modders to break everything. Why would you put a line break in a label? I'll have to pre-parse labels to remove those.
3: Sure, I can do that.
4: Sure. I'm still on the fence about wether you should be able to queue up research that you cannot do (as per ResearchPal), but either way I can show the path.
5: Yeah, there's no integration as of yet. It'd be easier if Charlotte/NotFood (HelpTab, ResearchPal) would do this, but it'd be some work on their end as well.
6: Huh, odd. I might have to do an additonal check. (currently checking for godMode, may have to check for devMode as well).
7: Well, it'll throw a warning - and then try and fail to position nodes, possibly throwing an error, or using an insane amount of columns. I haven't tested for that, I probably should. Note that I can think of no good reason why a low techlevel research should require a high techlevel prerequisite.

Fluffy (l2032)

@Canute; thanks :).

@Canute, Harry_Dicks; Whenever you see strange text (with loads of accents and special characters) it means there's a missing translation key. I try to support translations in all of my mods, which means all of the text is linked to a translation key, and I distribute the English 'translations' with my mods. The translations themselves live in different files, and I have a nasty habit to forget to update them. It's usually a quick fix, so whenever you see text like that please let me know where, so I can go and add the proper translations.

@Harry Dicks; so you've loaded the mod then? Are you experiencing the same lag problems some of the others have? I hope it lives up to your expectations, although that might be hard ;).

wwWraith

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on January 12, 2018, 12:14:00 PM
@wwWraith; thanks for the feedback!
1: yeah, there is a lot of vertical space used for 'dummy' nodes, each connection that spans more than 1 column creates a series of dummies that are not rendered, but do take up space. That's how I avoid connections going underneath nodes, but it does create a bit too much space. Having dummy nodes be smaller than regular nodes is something I want to look at, but slightly tricky to implement.
2: geez, trust some modders to break everything. Why would you put a line break in a label? I'll have to pre-parse labels to remove those.
3: Sure, I can do that.
4: Sure. I'm still on the fence about wether you should be able to queue up research that you cannot do (as per ResearchPal), but either way I can show the path.
5: Yeah, there's no integration as of yet. It'd be easier if Charlotte/NotFood (HelpTab, ResearchPal) would do this, but it'd be some work on their end as well.
6: Huh, odd. I might have to do an additonal check. (currently checking for godMode, may have to check for devMode as well).
7: Well, it'll throw a warning - and then try and fail to position nodes, possibly throwing an error, or using an insane amount of columns. I haven't tested for that, I probably should. Note that I can think of no good reason why a low techlevel research should require a high techlevel prerequisite.

1. Actually I think that vertical space is not a big problem, mouse wheel helps with it. But a way to scroll horizontally more comfortable than using a tiny scrollbar would be nice.
6. I'm experiencing it with no godmode or devmode on.
7. There are many mods and modders so someone might have some reason ;) As a decently realistic scenario I can think about one mod adding some lowlevel tech while other mod patches its prerequisite tech to make its level higher.

Also
8. Looks like the queue is not loaded (or saved) with the game. I mean, if I set the queue and then load some savefile, then the queue remains what I just set, not what should be in that file.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Sarge

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on January 12, 2018, 11:55:49 AM
@Sarge; how many mods are you playing with? How many research projects are there? Do you get any errors in the output_log? If so, please upload it for me.

Attached.

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on January 12, 2018, 11:55:49 AM
I saw that you also used ResearchPal, does that give similar slowdowns? There should be very little difference in the rendering times, if anything, Research Tree should actually be slightly faster.

I didn't experience slowdowns in the ResearchPal window.

What I've tried so far:
- Rebooted
- Created a new colony
- Created a new colony with 30% map size (existing colony is 100%)

Just to be clear, the lag occurs only while in the research screen.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Harry_Dicks

Sarge, is there any method to that mod list order? Shouldn't EPOE be near the very end, and don't you need AlienRaceFramework for Rim of Madness?

Sarge

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 12, 2018, 01:22:15 PM
Sarge, is there any method to that mod list order? Shouldn't EPOE be near the very end, and don't you need AlienRaceFramework for Rim of Madness?

If you mean which way are you to read the list, it's from left to right.

I don;t know much about where what mods should go. I try do what it says in each mod's OP.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Sarge on January 12, 2018, 01:37:38 PM
Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 12, 2018, 01:22:15 PM

If you mean which way are you to read the list, it's from left to right.

I don;t know much about where what mods should go. I try do what it says in each mod's OP.

No, I meant as you are building the mod list, was curious. Because besides a handful, it looks like it is mostly just added in alphabetical order.

Canute

Quote8. Looks like the queue is not loaded (or saved) with the game. I mean, if I set the queue and then load some savefile, then the queue remains what I just set, not what should be in that file.
Yep, i can confirm this.
The queue isn't cleared by a normal safegame, i tryed with serveral safegames and all queues are working.
BUT it is cleared when you restart Rimworld and then load  game, queue is empty.

Harry_Dicks

So this is quite strange. When using ResearchPal, I have 0 red errors, and only a couple of yellows when loading. A handful of things there is no help entry for, 3x constructor fail on startup or w/e it is, a handful of redundant research requirements, and that's it. Now if I only remove ResearchPal, I got a damn 100 red and 100 yellow errors. What the hell? I wanted to try and remove it to replace it with ResearchTree, but somehow ResearchPal is holding my fragile modlist together by the last string? I have logs for before and after ResearchPal, without even having started using ResearchTree. I suppose this is more made for the other thread for those mods, but was wondering if maybe someone has an idea of why this could be. Really all I need is just a search function built into ResearchPal so I can select the stacked icons. It is possible with HelpTab but you have to figure out the name of the research based on the tooltip popup information. Also sometimes there are so many stacked on one tile, that the stack of different tooltips popping up goes from the top to the bottom of the screen, making me wonder if there are even more that I cannot see. Someone posted this on Steam comments for Fluffy's ResearchTree, "Hm, it's seems that Research Pal have also a seach bar functionality. I didn't notice :P" but I've never seen this search bar, would anyone please tell me where it's at?

(The following I left ResearchPal where it was originally, so I don't have any red errors) When I try adding ResearchTree to the very near top of my modlist, everything seems like it is okay. I load into game though, and when I press the research button, I don't see anything different from RPal. I didn't see any screenshots of RTree either though so I don't know what to expect. However, when I put RTree after RPal (last 4 mods in my list are RPal, HelpTab, RTree, EPOE) then I think the game recognizes it. But when I press the research button, it pops up with that weird looking letters with all of the accents and stuff (what was mentioned earlier), saying Fluffy.ResearchTree.PreparingTree.CrossingReduction, and it stays there forever. Well, I've been letting it load for 10 minutes now, and still nothing. Mind you I have about 300 mods and my game takes about 10 minutes to launch into the main menu, so I figured it might be awhile, but it seems like I'm not having any luck.

I can post any of the logs if anyone wants to look. Only RPal (how I originally had it with no reds), RPal removed, RTree then RPal, RPal then RTree. Also remember, I don't know why in the hell RPal is somehow saving me from all of these red errors I get. Any help I can get in anyway will be greatly appreciated! :-\

Fluffy (l2032)

I seem to have fixed the insane slowdown, turns out that wwWraith was right; techs that have a lower techlevel then one of their prerequisites would screw up the tab. They do also exist; there are a handful of them in HCSK alone. I'm currently setting their techlevel to the maximum of their prerequisites, raising it to where it no longer causes problems. I was right too in what would happen; the tab creates an insane number of columns. That was the cause of most of the other issues; that amount of columns means a ton of 'dummy' nodes are created, and all those significantly slow down building the tree as well as rendering it.

I've got the initial opening of the tab down to about ~12 seconds with the HCSK modpack (pretty brutal stress test), and the tab itself is now pretty smooth and snappy as well. I'll post the update in a minute after another test. Loading the game with HCSK takes like 5 minutes though =/.

Other issues;
devMode insta research should no longer always be available.
horizontal scrolling is a bit of a pain indeed, adding click-and-drag scrolling is fairly high on my to-do list.
queue not loading/saving correctly, still have to look at that.

Fluffy (l2032)

ok I've pushed an update, please let me know if it's still laggy for you guys.

Sarge

Smooth as a baby's bottom. Good job!