[1.0][MODLIST] Fluffy's Mods - New mini-mod: Power Cleaner [BETA]

Started by Fluffy (l2032), September 14, 2015, 06:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 18, 2018, 11:56:11 PM
Does WorkTab even really modify job givers? I assumed it was kinda just expanding upon the vanilla work tab, without really doing too much under the hood, unless you start messing around with timed jobs and such (which I haven't.)
No, it does not. The game keeps an internal list of workgivers (jobs) for each pawn, sorted by priority. All Work Tab does is change how that list is sorted, not what the actual elements in the list look like.

@docssy; honestly, I'd start from scratch - reinstall RW, and reinstall mods one by one, starting with the ones that you trust most/are most popular (I'm still under the assumption that if it's popular, it must be well coded. Unfortunately, that isn't always true.)

ridjack

The Research Tree as it stands is damn near perfect aside from the wasted space. From reading your previous posts, it seems like that's a side effect of your workaround to avoid overlapping; I'm curious, would removing the visual era delineations (neolithic, medieval etc) help compact it at all? It's a nice organizational move and I prefer it over not having it, but you could also indicate the era in other ways (e.g. color coding). I think if it could cut down that wasted space, it's probably for the better.

@Harry_Dicks: I know you said you've moved on from that issue, but (EDIT: Wrong person, oops) I wanted to ask if you actually removed the ResearchPal file from your mods? I've seen it said that even having the mod unselected in your folder could cause issues.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: ridjack on January 21, 2018, 06:12:51 PM
The Research Tree as it stands is damn near perfect aside from the wasted space. From reading your previous posts, it seems like that's a side effect of your workaround to avoid overlapping; I'm curious, would removing the visual era delineations (neolithic, medieval etc) help compact it at all? It's a nice organizational move and I prefer it over not having it, but you could also indicate the era in other ways (e.g. color coding). I think if it could cut down that wasted space, it's probably for the better.

@Harry_Dicks: I know you said you've moved on from that issue, but (EDIT: Wrong person, oops) I wanted to ask if you actually removed the ResearchPal file from your mods? I've seen it said that even having the mod unselected in your folder could cause issues.

ResearchPal got updated on Steam/github maybe a week ago. It fixed all of the stacking issues and has a search bar. So I'm using it for the time being. Fluffy I still love everything else you do! ;D

Fluffy (l2032)

@Harry_Dicks; no worries! :)
@Ridjack; the main problem for me is wasted _vertical space_ e.g. try to figure out how far up I can move logical bits of the tree so that there is a minimum of white space, and the tree itself doesn't get distorted. It's basically Tetris, but with one or more giant, shifting, and extendible building blocks. Even without moving stuff left-right it's rather tricky to find out how far up a block can go, and which parts (if any) within a block it might be a good idea to move independently.

So yeah, currently all I'm doing is removing completely empty rows. At least that's easy :P.

Canute

Fluffy, maybe you can add a zoom in/out feature, then people wouldn't moan about so much about wasted space.

And special these seperation by research tier is something i like.
And even when you remove empty rows, there should be a little extra space between them.
ResearchPal is too compact at this way.
Sure extra colour wouldn't hurt either.

ridjack

I'm absolutely horrible at Tetris, so I probably shouldn't even be *trying* to wrap my head around these logistics, but oh well.

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on January 22, 2018, 03:35:42 AM
the main problem for me is wasted _vertical space_

That's interesting, because it certainly isn't the problem I see. I'm seeing huge regions of blank horizontal space:

That red region is actually the only completely empty row I was able to find in the entire tree, with ~145 mods.

But I see lots of areas like this (the two in red are the only two in that entire column):

Which causes the rest of that era to look like this (red is same column as previous pic):

All that being said, my vertical scrollbar is noticeably smaller than my horizontal one, so I can see what you're saying. Not attempting to disagree; just wanting to help and offering what's going in my head!

As Canute said, I think the ability to zoom in and out would at least mitigate the issue a considerable amount. No idea if that's any easier than outright solving the layout problem (or indeed if it's even possible), but I do think it's a solid idea.

(EDIT: Good grief, those images made the post tall. Is there any way to mitigate that?)

Fluffy (l2032)

@ridjack; you're describing and showing pretty much what I meant. By vertical space I meant nodes should be moved vertically to reduce wasted space, the horizontal placement is already fairly optimal. You show some good examples of non-optimal placement, and to a degree they might be fixed if I could get the proper sugiyama layout to work (but I've failed to do that so far).

The first example though is technically not an empty row, since each connection creates dummy nodes to make sure connections never pass under other nodes, and there are two such dummy nodes on that row.

Blue9

Hello!, First of all, i love your mods, they are great, i use almost every one of them, so before anything, thank you for all the effort and time you give to the community.

I know it's really silly, but i have a request if possible. In the work tab mod, would it be possible to make it so it colours the numbers like vanilla does, you know, depending on priority, green then yellow, then brown. I know the mod does something like that, but if you reduce the ammount of priority levels they are all just white. I know it's a silly request, but it really helps when you overlook the work tab, to have a clear idea where the priority of each worker is.

Again thanks for all the mods!, and sorry for grammar and bad english, obviously not my first lenguage :D.

Cheers!

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Blue9 on January 24, 2018, 03:52:16 PM
Hello!, First of all, i love your mods, they are great, i use almost every one of them, so before anything, thank you for all the effort and time you give to the community.

I know it's really silly, but i have a request if possible. In the work tab mod, would it be possible to make it so it colours the numbers like vanilla does, you know, depending on priority, green then yellow, then brown. I know the mod does something like that, but if you reduce the ammount of priority levels they are all just white. I know it's a silly request, but it really helps when you overlook the work tab, to have a clear idea where the priority of each worker is.

Again thanks for all the mods!, and sorry for grammar and bad english, obviously not my first lenguage :D.

Cheers!

I think that would be nice, if we had an arching color range for the numbers. However, the number of work levels you can set in WorkTab is arbitrary. So what would you do if someone has 20 levels? Keep the same color range but with less definition in the gradient from one number to the next? Or do you just have random colors for every number? Or do we assign colors from a mod options to whatever we want?

So many possibilities ::)

Blue9

yeah, i don't really know how it would be coded, but maybe considering percentages, like 4 tiers, and if you add a lot of levels just the same colour but a bit more transparent or darker, something like that. But yeah, idk if that is possible to code haha.

Fluffy (l2032)

Actually, that's already a thing...

private static Color ColorOfPriority(int priority)
        {
            // first 1/3rd of priority levels lerp from green to white, then lerp to grey
            if (priority == 0)
                return Color.grey;

// define sizes of colour ranges
            int firstThird = Settings.maxPriority / 3;
            int rest = Settings.maxPriority - firstThird;

// from green to white
            if ( priority <= firstThird )
                return Color.Lerp( Color.green, Color.white, ((float) priority) / firstThird );

// white to grey
            return Color.Lerp( Color.white, Color.grey, ( (float) ( priority - firstThird ) ) / rest );
        }

That code is called for the colors of labels. The comments describe what it does, 'lerp' basically means 'fade' (technically it's a weighted average between two colors, where the weight is set based on a 'distance' from each color). As you can see, it already takes 'Settings.maxPriority' into account.

wwWraith

I can confirm this issue. It may be related with the other thing: that max priority setting in the mods options displays as 9 every time after restarting, though actually in game it uses the correct value that was set and saved before. In other words, the displayed setting is not synchronized with the saved one.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

bomberchibbi

Hi Fluffy, first of all thanks a lot for all the great mods, I couldn't imagine playing rimworld without some of those :). I have a request that I'd love to see added and maybe if you get around to it you could consider it. Could you add prisoners to you manager mod? I like to harvest their organs and train medical skills on them and its somewhat tedious to set all of that up after a big raid, so maybe you could integrate that in the manager.

If it helps I could make a complete mockup for that window (including food restriction and some other small stuff).

Canute

Hi fluffy,
you secretly update ResearchTree without posting.
But v0.18.0.5 still cryptic text (engl.) and don't safe the research queue.
The queue works if you just load a safegame, but the queue is empty when you restart Rimworld.

And since you are using Github, what do you think about ModSync support ?
I hope i didn't asked this before.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Canute on January 30, 2018, 05:16:36 AM

You've actually been asking this once a day, everyday, for the past few years. Unfortunately, we tell you this same thing everyday, but you forget again my tomorrow. Just look at all the times you've asked:

Quote from: Canute on May 28, 1970, 07:46:53 PM

Quote from: Canute on December 28, 1974, 04:54:35 AM

Quote from: Canute on August 14, 2114, 07:02:25 PM

You ask it so much, you are already asking it in the future!

I really need to go to sleep in the bed. I've slept in my chair the past three nights now :(