[Overhaul Idea] Playing on the Ship.

Started by Girlinhat, September 14, 2015, 05:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on September 15, 2015, 12:08:58 AM
The whole rimworld lore is based off the fact there's no FTL travel though, which would mean you'd probably get very little contact for years in space travel.

As for the mod idea... What? The space ship would have to be massive to be anywhere near a base plates size, and then 90% of the content is gone because you're just... surviving flying in space on a incredibly large ship? Like how would the 'engine' room be an entire biome with it's own events and gameplay...

i'm not sure that can be honestly true though, if there really is no "fast enough" (slower than warp technically but still good enough to stand in for) travel at least, we would never see the same trade ship twice and we both know you will in a normal game.

if it took 20+ years for traders to float by again, then i could agree, but the entire universe luckily orbiting the one planet we inhabit? too lucky i say!

Toggle

I'm pretty sure the trader ships are actually far away and just fire drop pods that go very fast... something like that. But, the whole lore is based off that there's no FTL travel, read it, or else the game would be entirely different based. Or the lore would have to be redone
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on September 15, 2015, 09:52:35 PM
I'm pretty sure the trader ships are actually far away and just fire drop pods that go very fast... something like that. But, the whole lore is based off that there's no FTL travel, read it, or else the game would be entirely different based. Or the lore would have to be redone

tempted to point out that pluto could probably watch 30 year old TV broadcasts from earth right about now... :)

Too-DAMN-Much

just checked the lore and while FTL drives are out, space folding warp drives and the like however aren't necessarily, besides with a warp drive it's more like skipping to the last step of where ever you are walking to, it doesn't change or deal with your speed at all.

Girlinhat

Most of nearby space is colonized as well.  Trade ships are probably mostly in-system, traveling between your own rimworld, nearby stations, thickly colonized planets around the same star, and other nearby things.  Imagine if in our own solar system, we put a space station around each body and a colony on each body with enough gravity to support it.  Titan might be a backwater moon, but there's still a TON of things nearby and therefore a ton of passing in-system vessels.  It's never said that the trade ships are interstellar.  Antimatter tech exists (as per the ship parts) which means a LOT of engine power.  Could make it from Earth to Mars in a matter of weeks with some hot engines, or from Earth to Jupiter in several months.  For a glitterworld ship designed to trade at high speed, it wouldn't be out of the question that it could make a round trip of a solar system in a year, especially if it only passes nearby planets and fires drop pods in passing, and avoids lengthy orbits.

Too-DAMN-Much

there's honestly a bit of inconsistency due to the lore, like for instance nano-machines and drones are prolific and and able to be created, therefore the requirements of humans being a type 2 society as by the Kardashev scale (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale) could be met in the setting of rimworld anytime someone or something puts forward the effort.

rimworld lore puts humans easily within reach of being able to create huge swaths of autonomous nanomachine drones that presumably replicate as other nanomachines have been postulated to in the past, by atomic manipulation able to turn one material into the next at will as long as they have enough bulk pieces, considering all that, we cannot say that entire sun's energy outputs can't be harvested all at once in the rimworld universe.

in specific, it's very doable to assume that a swarm of drones could at any time be created to envelop the solar output of an entire sun for power purposes with solar panels, the correct term is "Dyson Sphere".

not only that, nanomachines themselves mean, replicators like in star trek should also be possible, materialize me a beer, scotty!

therefore and finally, i must conclude that the "trade ships" are not actually a manned trade ship as we would expect, but merely a copy of an unmanned drone that sits permanently in orbit over any of the rimworlds, functionally identical (at least in the important i.e. trading ways) to what we would expect a trade ship to be.

at least that's my thoughts on it given the lore.

JimmyAgnt007

I think Tynan has stated that trade ships were temporary until he worked out a better way to trade with other villages and such on the map.  So imagine the visitors coming with trade goods. 

To be honest, the Rimworld lore makes space a cold sterile place.  As it generally is.

If he or a modder does make a game involving space ships or stations then they should be done in a separate universe aside from Rimworld.

forsaken1111

Quote from: Cardbo on September 18, 2015, 10:30:34 PM
Also exists here.
Isn't this that game which was developed to a pre-alpha state and then abandoned as 'done'?

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: forsaken1111 on September 19, 2015, 07:33:28 AM
Quote from: Cardbo on September 18, 2015, 10:30:34 PM
Also exists here.
Isn't this that game which was developed to a pre-alpha state and then abandoned as 'done'?

space base df9?
they sold it as dwarf fortress remake, did none of the work to make it that, case closed, double failure studios can rot in hell.