chicken and eggs

Started by Endoric, September 15, 2015, 08:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endoric

ok so i got a rooster and 3 hens.

the eggs get fertilize they go to 100% but i don't see them become chickens.

do eggs hatch?  why aren't mine.

Daman453

Weird, i haven't gotten chickens yet so i don't know if they do hatch into chickens. I would save that save game if it is a real bug. Although i wouldn't know that.
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
For flu, try a cock. If that doesn't work, try boobmilk. Nice.

MultiDavid

Quote from: Daman453 on September 15, 2015, 08:37:21 PM
Weird, i haven't gotten chickens yet so i don't know if they do hatch into chickens. I would save that save game if it is a real bug. Although i wouldn't know that.

Normally, and this is how it works, chickens will ALWAYS lay eggs once they are ready fertilized or not, now, if a rooster fertilized them, the progress bar will keep growing until 100%, in which then baby chickens/roosters will appear, in high numbers :O

He either has a bug, as you said, or perhaps his eggs are unfertilized ?

Endoric

def fertilized   will load the autosaves.

MultiDavid

Quote from: Endoric on September 15, 2015, 08:54:24 PM
def fertilized   will load the autosaves.

Can you give us a screenshot ? Perhaps that would help :O

Endoric

HASHAHAHAHAHAHHA SO FUNNY

the dog at my eggs.  i kid you not.

StorymasterQ

I came into this thread expecting a question on which came first :/ But I guess that's off-topic material...
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

MultiDavid

Quote from: Endoric on September 15, 2015, 08:57:18 PM
HASHAHAHAHAHAHHA SO FUNNY

the dog at my eggs.  i kid you not.

I was going to ask you that... but for some reason i didn't, yeah, i had one of my boars eat 4 out of 7 eggs from my turtle, i forgot to forbid them from doing so >-<

Ranilin

It's kind of annoying that meat eating animals will consume fertilized eggs instead of hauling them. Being unable to control animal diets is actually what can be frustrating - but on the bright side, human raids are free food delivery services for those haulers!

It's easily fixed by making sure your chickens are assigned their own area, but you have to use a non-chicken coop area as the restriction for hauling animals instead of unrestricted - which means you also can't let the chickens graze instead of growing them hay all the time unless you include a huge non-hauling animal area for the chickens, because they'll lay eggs in the fields which haulers would eat.

Side note: Herbivores can be fed meat by simply cooking with it. If you run out of hay in the winter, you can cook up simple meals with just human meat and ensure colonists are forbidden the stockpile of human sandwiches while animals are not - herbivores, carnivores, and dendrovores will all eat the yummy sandwiches made from that dude named Darkeye. :)

zandadoum

Quote from: Ranilin on September 15, 2015, 09:29:26 PM
It's kind of annoying that meat eating animals will consume fertilized eggs instead of hauling them. Being unable to control animal diets is actually what can be frustrating - but on the bright side, human raids are free food delivery services for those haulers!

It's easily fixed by making sure your chickens are assigned their own area, but you have to use a non-chicken coop area as the restriction for hauling animals instead of unrestricted - which means you also can't let the chickens graze instead of growing them hay all the time unless you include a huge non-hauling animal area for the chickens, because they'll lay eggs in the fields which haulers would eat.

Side note: Herbivores can be fed meat by simply cooking with it. If you run out of hay in the winter, you can cook up simple meals with just human meat and ensure colonists are forbidden the stockpile of human sandwiches while animals are not - herbivores, carnivores, and dendrovores will all eat the yummy sandwiches made from that dude named Darkeye. :)

my dogs haul any sort of egg just fine. you just need to make sure there is easier food for the dogs. having a stockpile of food near their sleep places helps a lot.

about eggs:
when chickens lay eggs, if it's in the outside those eggs lose durability like any other item.

the funny thing is that my eggs are hauled inside my freezer and they still hatch :D

stranger080

What I did with my chickens and roosters is that I made one building for them, one part is for hens only, aka food eggs, another part has some females and all he roosters, aka fertilized eggs, I have a wall between the two so they don't mix

FreyaMaluk

Apropos chickens... Can someone tell me which animals eat eggs and milk?? This is not explained in the character info.
Do capybaras eat milk or eggs?
Do cows or capybaras eat eggs?

cultist

You have to keep your chickens separated from other types of animals or they'll eat your eggs (they are a food item as you may have noticed).

cultist

Quote from: FreyaMaluk on January 26, 2017, 11:18:25 AM
Quote from: cultist on January 26, 2017, 11:05:12 AM
You have to keep your chickens separated from other types of animals or they'll eat your eggs (they are a food item as you may have noticed).

I know that.... I know how to restrict animals but I really don't have much space (animal area is indoors, sea ice base) In the tiny animal area I have capybaras and cows, the capybaras seem o not be having drunk the milk. But I'm considering chickens, well more like praying a trader will drop buy and sell me some  xD....
So.. if you really don't know the specifics to my questions, this is not gonna help me much
I need the specifics, the generic answer and solution I know already.

My answer was to the original question in the first post. As for what animals eat, you can press the little "i" on their character screen and check out their stats like you can with any living entity in the game.

PotatoeTater

Just to throw out an answer as well, make sure your stockpiles in the fridge aren't set to take fertilized eggs, otherwise your colonists will be hauling them into the freezer killing the chicks.
Life is Strange