Should the game take longer?

Started by Fishirboy, September 16, 2015, 11:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishirboy

I have been thinking about how this game kind of cuts corners when it comes to time and work that is done. Here is my opinion, hour cycle is to short and should be stretched to add minutes in a day.

Now I know that this statement is something I talked about before and people said that the time amount per day was fine but I have been working on a project to give credit to my opinion, slower is better.

Couple points to mention to help with understanding what I mean by needed to be extended.

-When I say time needs to be slowed I mean that the player movement should stay the same and the world around them should age slower(But staying the same hours wise).
-Hunger and thirst should be extended. Pawns should be able to go a whole day without touching food or water (maybe even two days for food) before the effects of starvation kick in.
-Pawns should be taking more steps per hour than what they are at currently. The amount of steps (spaces) the pawns take are somewhat short and it feels like they're all just fat and walk slow at normal speeds.
-Construction and other work will then take longer. (Would love more upgrades to stations to make them go faster) This will make it harder to just wall off invades who go into a kill box, (could add a quick build object like a barricade that could be constructed in 8mins.
-Giving more time to the player makes the schedule system extremely more relevant. Right now I personally never touch the schedules unless it's for a night owl.
-Gives colonists more time to plant and tend to small tasks. Right now with the current build I could not give any time to cleaning or other small tasks without wasting a whole 4 hours of the day. Now with the extended time I can set up a scheduled that will get the cleaning done and have plenty of time left over for more important matters.
-Makes other small side tasks like food and hospital care less of a time waster.

(I do have an issue with size of the map relative to the pawn size, since an average human is around 5 to 7ft I would assume that is the size of each tile. But the issue is that it takes a whole hour to walk not even half a mile confuses me so I would then say that the pawn size is just proportional to a 20 ft tile size or something of like that. Even then a pawn should be able to walk 3 to 4 miles in an hour)

The issue I have with time versus movement is that the size of map and pawn distance per hour is extremely retarded.

I would like others opinions on this subject.

Also I am not completely done getting all the information to support my claim and will show my conclusion after completing the entirety of my research.

Side Note * I would love to see the speed of the pawns in 5 times speed if the game was slower than 5 times speed would be sure to make it look like a colony of ants.

zandadoum

i can agree that moving from A to B takes way too long (in ingame hours) with the current setup

SkyNTP

I'm perfectly fine with the pace of the pawns and day/night cycles, but I think progression could be stretched out in some ways to make colony development last longer. There's a transition point after about 1.5 years were you stop doing new things and start doing more of the same, just making the colony bigger, and this is boring IMO. Pretty simple balance tweaks:

• Slight decrease in construction speed
  • More locked tech/research tiers, and/or longer research time
  • Slight decrease in mean time between negative events and colonists joining

Too-DAMN-Much

agreed all my +1, you're making me reconsider what the actual problem with hauling priority is, it's a very valid point you make.

FMJ Penguin

Donno but 5.5 minutes per day is a bit stingy imo. Get up , eat, do joy thingies, haul a few things, go back to bed. Rinse repeat. :)  Not sure if limited fps to 30 would double the time or not. Some games that works haha.
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

Futrettamer

I definitely agree that it takes far too long to walk places, it's definitely unrealistic. I look forward to seeing your completed data

Boston

Have you guys ever walked through the woods? Not in a National/State Forest or Park, where there are level, compacted trails, but through an untamed wilderness, with brush, trees, and unlevel ground everywhere?

That is difficult, and time consuming.

zandadoum

Quote from: Boston on September 17, 2015, 01:28:47 PM
Have you guys ever walked through the woods? Not in a National/State Forest or Park, where there are level, compacted trails, but through an untamed wilderness, with brush, trees, and unlevel ground everywhere?

your point is?
getting from dormitory, to the fridge, to the table, eat something, go outside... BAM, 3h. passed in the game, and the rooms are small and next to each other
makes no sense.

Adamiks

Quote from: Boston on September 17, 2015, 01:28:47 PM

Yes, i tried that but i'm not talking about jungle or pine forest. I'm talking about "normal" forest. In that type of forest i can easily run like i would run on the street. With some problems of course like need to look for obstacles etc. but we're humans after all - we're supposed to run in such forests so you can easily look out for obstacles and succesfuly avoid them without much slowing down.

Also, your logic is "if running in the biggest bushes is so slow then we should slow down movement in general - no matter what. You can run on the nice street but you will run like in the jungle anyway".

Also +1 for the idea and idea someone else talking about researching etc.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Fishirboy on September 16, 2015, 11:10:56 AM
I have been thinking about how this game kind of cuts corners when it comes to time and work that is done. Here is my opinion, hour cycle is to short and should be stretched to add minutes in a day.
How about mining ? A real-world miner with a pickaxe can mine about 5cm of rock in a day. In Rimworld, miners are superhumans.

akiceabear

b0rsuk hit the nail on the head - balance and fun before strict realism.

zandadoum

Quote from: akiceabear on September 17, 2015, 08:13:50 PM
b0rsuk hit the nail on the head - balance and fun before strict realism.
i am all in for fun and sepcially for balance.

spending 3h. to wake up and have breakfast, is not balanced.

moving in rimworld, is not balanced. and not fun either.

there is no point in even playing on maps bigger than the default value, because moving (for hunting, hauling and whatnot) is not properly done. by the time a colonist reaches the other side of the map, he's tired, hungry, sleep deprived and will turn around without even completing the task he had.

i agree that venturing into a jungle or thick forest or swamp or whatever should not be easy and should not be quick. but there could be a lot of options to help with this (carry more food, portable tents, etc.)

but the problem presents itself even without leaving the base. a base with 100% walkspeed floors, with kitchen next to bedrooms and it still takes colonists 3h. to get from bed to fridge and to the dining table, when it's all in under 20 tiles distance.

akiceabear

I think it helps to view days as more of an abstraction, rather than precise. I'd rather dev time went elsewhere.

zandadoum

Quote from: akiceabear on September 18, 2015, 06:22:52 AM
I think it helps to view days as more of an abstraction, rather than precise. I'd rather dev time went elsewhere.
i wish this was possible... but your colonistss need X amount of time to do stuff, and they get tired and hungry and mad...

it's not about how long it takes to do something, it's not about a month having less days than real. it's about the time needed to actually GET THERE what doesn't seem balanced.

you can mine a mountain in 5 game hours, but you need 3h. to breakfast and 4h. to get to the mountain?
it's not about it being unreal or abstract, it's about not getting anything done on bigger maps (and even on small maps) because the travel time is out of proportion with everything else.

Tynan

We're actually already doubling the day length (ticks per day) for the next alpha.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog