[Mod Request] Atheism mod

Started by MAD GOD, September 17, 2015, 09:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamiks

We should stop this now. Again...

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Brigadon on October 09, 2015, 08:32:03 PM
Quote from: Ramsis on October 05, 2015, 09:44:29 AM
Hi, I'm a mod and junk; anyways for those wigging out about the whole praying thing I'm just going to smack ya gently and remind you that at this point in history (seeing as RimWorld takes place like a crap ton farther into history) most religions as you know it are dead. Buddhism, Satanism, Christianity, Judaism, etc, all of those are long gone by the time your colonists crash land so any hate you've got for a particular religion nowadays can be kept in your edgy little shorts. We aren't talking about your Grandma's religion here sonny, we're talking religions based around the cults of the future.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lisa, my 81 year old colonist with a background in Joywire and who dabbles with being a cold-lover isn't bowing down and praying to Kel' Valiz-do, the great Rim Dragon god who brings candy farts and free technology to those who bow to her. Maybe Chris is sitting there praying to the Farming god Bob, praying that his his 2 skill in growing doesn't cause starvation again this year because he's an idiot.

Just saying, the point of this push is stupid. If you have a beef with religion keep it out of here as your petty Earth religions don't mean squat this far in the future. I mean hell it's a future with telepaths, giant robotic constructions, and entire worlds that literally consume the populace and put them in a giant computer. Nobody cares about deity's like we currently do, it's all flavor and joy based at this time. Tynan has mentioned an interest in looking at different religious ideas for RimWorld though so who knows, maybe you'll make your own by this time next year.

Oh and before I forget, if you idiots keep arguing over religion or keep drowning each other out with your opinions I'm going to start throwing the ban hammer around <3 Just Saiyan

Not arguing with whether religions are real or not or anything like that, but a crapton in the future doesn't really mean that the traditional religions won't be around. The last major change in Judaism occured about 1200 years ago, but it has existed in a very similar form for nearly 3000 years. Christianity is (obviously) about 2000 years old, islam is 1500, and Hinduism may have existed for as long as 5000 years.

Sure, in America religion is not as popular as it used to be, but I strongly suspect that with an unbroken chain of literacy (In other words, unless almost every adult human on earth is exterminated and all books are destroyed) the 'traditional' religions may still exist, although if it's far enough in the future that humans have evolved without arms and legs (snicker) the majority of the major religions will probably be changed quite a bit. There will always be throwbacks and fundamentalists that will use an earlier form, however.

No offense, but a lot of people seem to think that 'the future' won't have ties to the past, but historical evidence suggests that the current trend of anti-religion 'enlightenment' is going to be as short-lived as all of the previous ones. Religious fervor ebbs and flows, but in general the major religious upheavals follow the ethnic traditions, and are very hard to kill without being actively stamped out via genocide (as happens with most small naturist religions that get overwhelmed by a stronger culture with a more aggressive religion)

I suspect there will be MORE major religions that far in the future, but I don't think the versions we have now will get stamped out. Even the countries that once embraced anti-religion, primarily China and Russia, are experiencing a resurgence in their traditional religions (russian fundamentalism and chinese buddhism). It seems more likely that religious expansion will fuel colonization waves.
Gj Ramsis. You've rebooted a dead thread.

Toggle

Brigadon... He just straight up said don't argue about religion. And you're arguing about religion. Yes, you're only talking about the length and what he said, but yeah...
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

ItchyFlea

...and most of you received warnings for being off-topic in this thread.
Do not do it again. Either stay on topic, or take it to the off-topic subforum.

The topic of this thread is in the original post.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

rsof69

Brigadon change your name to a brigand, It would fit you better