Make Backgrounds and traits more coherent

Started by cultist, September 17, 2015, 08:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cultist

First off: This only applies to randomly generated colonists, not the backer ones.

Something that's bugged me since I started playing is how often a randomly generated colonist seems completely incoherent as a character, because their childhood/adulthood background and/or their traits don't match up somehow. Stuff like Bloodlust empaths or scientists who have resarch disabled because of their childhood background. And I know the planets in the Rimworld universe have different technology levels, but that doesn't explain how a slave who didn't learn to read until age nine somehow became a middle manager on a hubworld.

So what I would like see is a bit more controlled backgrounds that make more coherent sense and don't clash too much with traits. I know this will also mean more standardized pawns. The solution obviously is to add more backgrounds. Maybe some sort of community contest. Extra work, I know, but it's not a critcal feature, so it doesn't have to be anytime soon. However, I hope steps towards this will be taken eventually, because in a game where you are supposed to attach emotion to a little blob with no legs, it doesn't help that I'm having trouble buying their story because it feels randomly generated without much concern for coherence.