Vat Grown Colonists

Started by JimmyAgnt007, September 18, 2015, 09:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyAgnt007

Couldnt find a mod for this, not sure if maybe they called it something else.

The idea is that if someone could alter a few existing parts for a different use.  Being able to vat-grow new colonists.

Stasis chamber - Something to grow the colonist in
vitals monitor - something to observe the process
food hopper - something to input the organic materials
multi-analyzer - something to process the whole deal

Have them all next to each other and linked like tool benches and such.

Then with a lot of power they grow a new person over time.  A lot like growing crops. 

During a power shortage the stasis chamber kicks in and the new person is 'resting' before power comes back and the work keeps going.

Maybe a fail event that covers the room in blood and human meat?

In the end you get one of the vat-grown backgrounds or maybe something custom.  Might want to give the player the choice of what kind of person to grow but not make a superman type.  Mediocre at all things or really good at a few things.

Loki88

A way to keep this from getting to OP would be to require human meat as the "feed stock" though in a way that would become something like regrowing your dead colonists in to new ones... Could use the already existing "vat grown..." Back stories or just make new ones.

JimmyAgnt007

You wouldnt need human meat, just something with the same materials.  Maybe just animal meat.  More than you would get from a single dead colonist or animal.  That way we dont just throw in a corpse and get a new person. 

Loki88

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on September 18, 2015, 09:48:25 AM
You wouldnt need human meat, just something with the same materials.  Maybe just animal meat.  More than you would get from a single dead colonist or animal.  That way we dont just throw in a corpse and get a new person.

I just thought it would be weird to have a guy made of dead muffalo parts, as if being grown in a vat doesnt make them socially awkward enough already... Toxos: "Hey man, what's wrong with Redfields?" Lumpy: "Just steer clear of him, the dude was grown in a vat! You don't know what's going on in that head of his"

I do agree tough it should cost more in materials to make than you'd get from a single corpse.

AHare

Quote from: Loki88 on September 18, 2015, 03:35:20 PM

I just thought it would be weird to have a guy made of dead muffalo parts, as if being grown in a vat doesnt make them socially awkward enough already... Toxos: "Hey man, what's wrong with Redfields?" Lumpy: "Just steer clear of him, the dude was grown in a vat! You don't know what's going on in that head of his"

I do agree tough it should cost more in materials to make than you'd get from a single corpse.
Could always have it as a quality thing. Growing a person with squirrel meat gives a worse person than someone grown with human meat.
Failure events sound cool too. Maybe it comes out early and roams your base as a monster until you kill it :D

Overall, love the idea. Would want to see the ability to regrow your dead colonists too, assuming they aren't rotting. Would put a nice need to have a freezer. Could even expand to just regrow full limbs, with enough time and resources, leaving that person unavailable to help the colony. Although maybe that's going into OP territory.

whoishigh

Definitely something I'd like to see! Especially if failure or poor (medicine? crafting?) skills lead to misshapen vat monsters. I can see there being both hostile and non-hostile variants, hostile vat accidents lash out at their creators, while the non-hostile could roam the colony and spread mood debuffs to anyone who sees the aberration.

Maybe successful vat-growns can still have a chance of coming out with defects, like missing or otherwise deformed limbs and organs. Webbed feet, shrunken arms to lower movement speed and manipulation, etc.

JimmyAgnt007

Just to be clear on the vat grown process.  The raw materials are rendered down into an organic sludge and a fetus is rapidly grown feeding off that.  You dont just put animal parts in and merge them.  Also it doesnt reanimate anything.  Humans are more or less made out of the same basic elements as other animals, thats why we eat them, so you could use really anything people eat for materials.  Tossing in a corpse or meat wont make any difference in the end.

Im tempted to learn how to mod things myself to make this.

forahilarm

My army of cannibals could become real!

If we can control the outcome of traits, (I imagine that'd be a later research... ;) ) My army of cannibals can be self sufficient instead of hoping to capture or find someone with the trait...

And if that isn't possible, we can grow infinite humans to eat. <3
ayyyy lmao

JimmyAgnt007

I didnt think about traits.  Good idea.

Now where do I start for modding?  hmm....

jetalockhart

I just read a similar Idea from a player wanting to Craft A Colonist. If you need an idea of matterials used to create a Vat grown Pawn, why not use Abraxas' Biomatterial idea (Permission Needed tho). So it wont get OPed, make the requirement to be enormous amount of Biomatterials (From "melting" any fresh dead pawn in Bio Vats), and a Bionic Brain which need an AI Core and additional matterials to make. For Traits I think... it supposed to be random, or blank... Coz Traits are mysterious and not supposed to be controlled. It helps the balance too! When you hit the jackpot, you rolled. When sh*ts happens... well... there are load button in ESC Menu if you are really that pissed off.

Just an Idea for you friend... So maybe you wont have to start from the scratch.

JimmyAgnt007

Well I think if I just re-purpose some of the existing parts and use enough meat it should be fine.  I just need to learn how to link parts together like a spaceship, make the menu to select stuff, and figure out how to do the meat explosion on failure then i should be good.