Steam Workshop Poll

Started by rsof69, September 18, 2015, 11:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the plan of putting mods in steam workshop ?

Yes !!
25 (61%)
No !!
2 (4.9%)
Hell No !!!
4 (9.8%)
Never !!!
4 (9.8%)
I don't care
6 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: September 25, 2015, 11:51:25 AM

rsof69

So apparently their planning to integrate the mods to steam workshop

MisterVertigo

I figured if/when this game was put on Steam that would be a given. I'm sure most modders would still make them available outside of Steam too for those who still use non-Steam versions.

Did you read something specific about this in regards to Rimworld?
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

akiceabear

This is old news, the change log mentioned this a few months ago, but it won't be functional until the game is released on Steam (obviously :))

Fluffy (l2032)

actually many modders are not very pleased about it ;)

cuproPanda

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on September 18, 2015, 07:12:39 PM
actually many modders are not very pleased about it ;)
Me being one.
cuproPanda's Mods: Survivalist's Additions, Additional Joy Objects, Cupro's Drinks, Quarry, Cupro's Stones, Zen Garden, Cupro's Alloys, Preset Filtered Zones, & more!

Coolpey

Or if you are a big company that got money to blowwww.

(Tynan isn't unknown? Oh wait, 5'000 people know him.)

whoishigh

I don't care for the Steam Workshop, hopefully we can still manually drag and drop mods into the mods folder whenever that time comes!

CB elite

I personally can't wait to see the hundreds of duplicate RimWorld mods on steam with the description: "My mod, don't steal!" ::)

Edit: Also, what's up with the 1 positive, 1 neutral, and 3 negative choices in the poll? Lol

akiceabear

Think of it like this: Tynan is unlikely to get a massive sales boost without a major marketing push. As a close to one man team, that might be tough.

If Steam adds 100k copies sold that's an extra 2 million in profit after the Steam cut. Why would Tynan pass on that kind of potential return for relatively little investment?

I find most of the people against steam or Steamworks are purists with a strange axe to grind, and rarely consider the convenience or scaling benefits Steam offers in exchange for their cut. Steam isn't perfect of course, but the bias in this poll/thread is palpable. The poll results that support Steam probably really grind the OP :)

Finally, friction in the mod community is possible with and without steam - that much is already obvious on these forums. The more the game scales the more scope for friction and worse, frauds, whatever the platform used.

Aristocat

I think current forum UI is horrible to upload or download mods, there is no filter whatsoever and this will only get worse the bigger the forum goes. We'll eventually have to immigrate to somewhere else.

IrkenSIR

steams filters aren't that great either, i Vote nexus :p best mod site i know (for users anyway don't know how it is for modders)

cuproPanda

Quote from: IrkenSIR on September 21, 2015, 03:29:08 PM
steams filters aren't that great either, i Vote nexus :p best mod site i know (for users anyway don't know how it is for modders)
I've tried on 3 separate occasions over the past two years to create an account on nexus, and I have never been able to. Multiple resends for email validation, multiple filter checks, spam folder checks, using 4 email accounts over 3 different providers, and nothing works. If they didn't force users to create accounts to download files over 50mb(?) it wouldn't be a problem, but they do. As far as I'm concerned, nexus is garbage.
cuproPanda's Mods: Survivalist's Additions, Additional Joy Objects, Cupro's Drinks, Quarry, Cupro's Stones, Zen Garden, Cupro's Alloys, Preset Filtered Zones, & more!

akiceabear

I also find Nexus a huge pain in the ass to use.

Steam Workshop is certainly not perfect, but organizationally can be much better than a forum.

Toggle

And yeah, Rimworld being on steam can be a major publicity push, as a lot of people prefer to buy it on steam and if has the chance to gain a lot of popularity.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

SilverKnight

The main reason Ludeon have most likely not put RW on steam is because Steam take a substanatial cut of the profits, RW, like minecraft already have a large following and community base, there's no need to add it to steam.

Steam Workshop is fairly poor for developers, good for subscribers\users however.