Re-programmable Mechs

Started by Didact04, September 21, 2015, 01:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Didact04

I got to thinking about this when I thought about the implications behind the AI core component of the ship you inevitably have to build. An artificial intelligence powerful enough to emulate a human intelligence, perhaps even exceed it, would be an inconceivably complicated piece of software/hardware. It's complicated enough that I daresay that no one on the Rimworld can possibly hope to alter, let alone manipulate, such a sophisticated piece of fantastical machinery.

But then there's the other mechs. Those things are automated, lethal, but not exactly outrageously advanced. They're ancient pieces of an old war effort, if I understand correctly, and their directive is currently obsolete. That they don't seem to understand this and that they are indiscriminate in their targeting says to me that their intelligence, while complicated enough, is not completely otherworldly.

Mechs do not go 'down' all that often, but when there's literally nothing else to do to them than kill them slightly less violently. I don't know about anyone else, but if I was a colonist and I had to bootstrap an entire colony on a hostile planet infested with pirates and xenophobic natives, I would think twice about wasting this perfectly good war machine. ESPECIALLY if I can manipulate it. It is, after all, just a robot.

It'd be balanced enough, of course. Mech brains aren't that fancy, but their hardware is still outside the range of our colonists to produce on their own. They can bootstrap destroyed limbs, give them regular guns to use, but anything too detrimental can't ever be fully repaired to its maximum capacity.

A centipede never needs to eat, sleep, need entertainment, or worry about hot or cold, but it also barely moves and can't do basic tasks like haul or clean. On the plus side, it is a big, fat hunk of metal to stick between me and the guys with guns who want to shoot me and rip out my organs to sell to cannibalistic primitives. Scythers are faster and maneuverable, and probably have really good aim compared to any human, but same restrictions apply. Destroyed parts can only be replaced with basic components duct taped on and inevitably the machines will just break down or be destroyed.

BUT, I'd rather lose a mech than a colonist. That, and having a pet centipede acting like a big scarecrow in my pasture because it's too damaged to be of any combat use sounds fun.

Besides, turrets need to go anyway. Mechs seem more interesting to me. That and prosthetics are VERY expensive.

Lennbolt7

If something like this were to be added I don't think the mechs should be controllable, and should only patrol the area(s) they are confined to/allowed in. This would definitely be a nice upgrade from immobile turrets.

Lonely Rogue

Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

dosemeter

I suggested this before.  There was no response.

Vaporisor

This concept falls into the same realm of turrets in how it affects the direction and concept of the game.  RTS vs survival combat approach.  Repairing mechs would be intersting provided not craftable.  Needing AI etc. 

Their limited nature means odds are will never get many to remove colonists from combat.  If you did stockpile, then by time have enough to defend by just mechs, your wealth from them would make it worse under attacks anyways.

So considering these, it would add interest and flavour, but really only as a mod vs developer time on something broader reaching in terms of gameplay.

A potential way to do this might be to add an operation, repair drone.  It could look at damage and require plasteel the same way injuries require medkits.  They stay in zone under a permanent looking for targets.  If their weapon is destroyed, can only replace with minigun.

The big issue though comes with NPC clumping.  When enemy is all clumped, a few centipedes can easily shred a large force.  So a balance and test might be needed.  Five inferno cannon guys guarding a killbox?
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes