[Request] Atmosphere Differences

Started by Didact04, September 27, 2015, 04:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Didact04

It's not a big mod. Basically I thought about Mars compared to Earth: there is a certain time of year on Mars where you can theoretically take off all your space gear and just walk around somewhat comfortably, with the exception of the air, which we cannot breathe.

Rimworld air is close enough to earth air that we can breathe it, but I have reservations about believing it's IDENTICAL to earth air. Maybe's a lack of something, maybe it's an addition of something else, maybe both; either way, I wanted a mod to add a 'disease' that would cause a debuff that affect's someone's consciousness and things like alertness and work speed and such. It's not air we're fully designed to breathe and as such breathing it purely causes some issues. Sluggishness, maybe some risk of poisoning somehow later, but mostly it's just a pain and a potential long-term health hazard.

Air must be treated and filtered before it's fully safe and provides an environment that allows the debuff to wear off, a lot like how the poison from toxic fallout currently works, except a lot less lethal. Specially crafted rebreathers prevent the buildup in non-controlled environments, but it's a cumbersome piece of machinery due to a lack of advanced tools to refine the design, and it takes up the head slot, which could put your colonists at risk.

Further down the line you could pressurize your colony with oxygen-enriched air or maybe chemically altered air to cause the inverse of the debuff, but that's high-end power-hungry stuff a regular colony would struggle to maintain unless it's really well developed. End-game things. Nothing broken or huge, like a big adrenaline surge colony-wide or something - it's just better air and gives you more energy. Everything is passive and affects the game over time based on what kind of air the colonists are exposed to. People breathing air they're designed to will naturally function better than someone who is getting half of what they need, a quarter of something else they need, and then something else that gets jammed in the pipes somewhere or does something else weird and not intended.

So yeah, it'd require an introduction of a new mechanic, but contained atmosphere would function almost identically to how the heat system currently works. Not sure who would be up to that challenge, but it'd be a pretty awesome mod and add a bit of flavor to the Rimworld experience, and help to emphasize that this IS an alien planet, and not some earth duplicate. We aren't designed to live here and in the context of the game we don't want to anyway. Just one more reason to leave, right?

I dunno, I think it fits the game's theme pretty well. I'd play it, anyway.

Toggle

I'd think pills that you can grow using a plant and colonists take once a month would be good instead of oxygen-enriched air and stuff like that. As for the disease, well it's been 3000 years, they might of adapted well to the air.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.