Megascarab paradox

Started by Bozzarr, September 21, 2015, 09:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bozzarr

Megascarabs do not reproduce when you tame them because they require a hive-like hierarchy to do so. They are social creatures. Yet... in the wilderness you find both males and females living on their own, alone.
If they cannot reproduce outside of a hive then they should not exist as a loners in the wilderness.
There definitely should be some tool to trigger metamorphosis of a single female to become an eggs factory a queen. Obviously if they are insects then they should go through different stages of life(egg->larva->chrysalis->adult{and sometimes a queen})

I think that Tynan has something prepared for those lonely megascarabs, but right now it is hard to justify their presence.

I dream of my own megascarab farm just like they cultured antlions in Half Life 2.

SpaceDrunk

We should be able to genetically engineer giant megascarabs, or mega megascarabs, or whatever.

Snownova

Hmm, now I want a Megascarab hive event: A hive of megascarabs has decided to set up base in your area. They will build a hive and grow their numbers unless you stop them!

A large group of megascarabs enters the map, accompanied by a Queen. They select a spot, much like siegers and start building random walls and rooms made from a new material, cellulose, low hp, very flammable. The scarabs will consume any vegetation nearby and will eventually come for your farms!

Bozzarr

Quote from: Snownova on September 22, 2015, 06:00:24 AM
Hmm, now I want a Megascarab hive event: A hive of megascarabs has decided to set up base in your area. They will build a hive and grow their numbers unless you stop them!

A large group of megascarabs enters the map, accompanied by a Queen. They select a spot, much like siegers and start building random walls and rooms made from a new material, cellulose, low hp, very flammable. The scarabs will consume any vegetation nearby and will eventually come for your farms!

But you can always enclose them in stone walls, feed them a little bit, at the same time kill some of them for food and harvest tasty juicy delicacy meat of their larvae.

Nickvr628

Quote from: Snownova on September 22, 2015, 06:00:24 AM

That sounds amazing and I would love to see that. But only if they freak and assault your colony if you get too close or disturb their hive. Maybe the queen can look like this!

Bozzarr

I am not a modder unfortunately... but if anyone was interested, I would know a way around to make this mod happen. There would have to be a new thing added to megascarab behaviour.
A trigger that would cause rapid metamorphosis1.
Basically something that would turn female megascarab into building.
Building that is shaped like a queen, this building type would require a hopper(but a megascarab variant) that would feed the queen. In return, queen would be producing eggs of megascarab2.
Building that produces pawns is already in place, ancient ship part produces mechanoids.

Hardest thing to do would be coding of megascarabs bringing food to the queen.

This cycle of megascarabs foraging for food, bringing it to queen and queen making new megascarabs could never end. Unless it would be stopped by the player somehow.
This is an idea for new event.

1-I am thinking about some chemical trigger in here, megascabs are biological weapon used to stop mechanoids, so their behaviour should be controllable by humans and/or their creators.
A new type of psychic lance type of item could be a good choice in here.
2-Those eggs could be in fact eggs of megascarab larvae, that then, once enough food has been consumed would turn into a chrysalis and then into adult megascarab.

LaMizzy

Quote from: Bozzarr on September 22, 2015, 11:56:05 AM
I am not a modder unfortunately... but if anyone was interested, I would know a way around to make this mod happen. There would have to be a new thing added to megascarab behaviour.
Building that is shaped like a queen, this building type would require a hopper(but a megascarab variant) that would feed the queen. In return, queen would be producing eggs of megascarab2.
Building that produces pawns is already in place, ancient ship part produces mechanoids.

This cycle of megascarabs foraging for food, bringing it to queen and queen making new megascarabs could never end. Unless it would be stopped by the player somehow.

1-I am thinking about some chemical trigger in here, megascabs are biological weapon used to stop mechanoids, so their behaviour should be controllable by humans and/or their creators.
2-Those eggs could be in fact eggs of megascarab larvae, that then, once enough food has been consumed would turn into a chrysalis and then into adult megascarab.

LOL, sound like a zerg =P

"Minerals depleted..."

caboose410

Quote from: Bozzarr on September 22, 2015, 11:56:05 AM
Someone please make this into a mod, It sounds awesome!

Luckless

Quote from: SpaceDrunk on September 21, 2015, 10:43:46 PM
We should be able to genetically engineer giant megascarabs, or mega megascarabs, or whatever.

gigascarabs?

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Gigascrabs. Fear there huge hive attack powers!
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

A Friend

"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"