Caveman Challange

Started by Dan85, September 17, 2014, 01:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loki88

I'm not going for impossible. Or even really difficult. Just something fun to fart around with and see just how big I can make a primal colony  ;D  I've been thinking of writing a food dehydrator / preserver mod and this should be some pretty good motivation to do it!

Boston

Oh, playing under "primitive" rules is a BLAST, don't get me wrong.  Just doing something other than " 1)tunnel into mountain, 2) set up killboxes 3) PROFIT" is usually enjoyable, but removing power and powered workstations from the equation makes things almost infinitely better.

Spectre

Quote from: Boston on October 11, 2015, 06:59:49 PM
Oh, playing under "primitive" rules is a BLAST, don't get me wrong.  Just doing something other than " 1)tunnel into mountain, 2) set up killboxes 3) PROFIT" is usually enjoyable, but removing power and powered workstations from the equation makes things almost infinitely better.

I'm looking to give this a go, would you mind telling us what mods you used that allowed fishing and other bits and pieces? Much appreciated.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

Boston

FishIndustry
(https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13172.msg133445#msg133445)

Enviro SK
Adds to animal Ai; essentially, realistic predators and such

Miscellaneous HiRes (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3612.0)
Adds things like travelling traders, archery stations, new events, etc

Hospitality

Plus a bunch of other, smaller mods

Loki88

We need a non powered tailors work station that's not powered though :( maybe one that can only make tribalwear and parkas.

Boston

Quote from: Loki88 on October 11, 2015, 07:37:37 PM

We need a non powered tailors work station that's not powered though :( maybe one that can only make tribalwear and parkas.

What is funny (not "ha ha" funny, but "hmmm" funny" is that the loom I linked to above is probably the most versatile loom ever invented that can be worked by hand. ANYTHING can be woven on it, from shirts to pants to blankets.

Oh, and people during the Neolithic (which is the reference point for the "tribals" in-game) totally didn't wear rough hides stitched into "tribalwear". They wore shirts, pants, jackets, of leather and of linen and wool.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Loki88

Quote from: Boston on October 11, 2015, 07:53:23 PM
Quote from: Loki88 on October 11, 2015, 07:37:37 PM

What is funny (not "ha ha" funny, but "hmmm" funny" is that the loom I linked to above is probably the most versatile loom ever invented that can be worked by hand. ANYTHING can be woven on it, from shirts to pants to blankets.

Oh, and people during the Neolithic (which is the reference point for the "tribals" in-game) totally didn't wear rough hides stitched into "tribalwear". They wore shirts, pants, jackets, of leather and of linen and wool.

I can code and make that loom, the problem arises with making new outfits. My artistic abilities aren't good enough for it. How are you with game art? Wanna give bit a whack?

Boston

What do you mean "new outfits"?

The pants, jackets, shirts, etc already in game would be perfectly fine. Various wools, various leathers, and cotton.

Loki88

Quote from: Boston on October 11, 2015, 08:21:40 PM
What do you mean "new outfits"?

The pants, jackets, shirts, etc already in game would be perfectly fine. Various wools, various leathers, and cotton.

I mean making some new outfits to more accurately reflect the whole neolithic vibe. May as well have the derps in character for some extra immersion no? Plus having a no power loom that can craft all of the vanilla things seems silly, the whole point is to be "low tech". While I don't doubt  the ability of a weighted loom to make fabrics and all types of clothing, I would hope that this far in the future the clothing made at the tailor's workbench would be of a much higher quality than what one could make on a low tech loom.

Boston

What kinds of outfits are you thinking of making? I .... don't seem to be understanding what you are going to do differently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolithic#Clothing

Literally jackets, shirts and pants made from leather, wool and linen. All of those already exist in the game. Just make a non-powered version.

You can make a shirt or pants out of cloth (wool) or leather using your hands and a needle + thread in real life.

If you take a look at the actual model for the powered "tailors workbench", it is literally just a sewing machine with some thread bobbins. It isn't particularly "high tech"

Loki88

I'm more just trying to get away from the generic shirt and pants etc. What I was hoping to create was honestly just shirts and pants etc but that actually had the look of being made from hides etc... They would have slightly different / lower stats in certain areas in vanilla to reflect their low tech construction. I guess I'm going over board here but there's just no way in my mind you should be able to outright replace the vanilla tailor station.
Making things by hand is great and all but it wasn't until into the industrial revolution that we came up with the spinning technology to allow us to spin cotton fibers into sufficient strength yarns to be used as warps in a loom w/o them breaking.

Anyway I'm not really looking to get complicated with it, I was just hoping for some clothes beyond tribal wear that would make the derps actually look cavemanish... Vanilla clothes are a bit lacking in variety and the aparello mod is just insanity sized...

cultist

Why do you need a new campfire? The one already in the game can cook simple meals.

Loki88

Quote from: cultist on October 12, 2015, 07:13:07 AM
Why do you need a new campfire? The one already in the game can cook simple meals.

I'm not looking to make a new campfire. I'm hoping to make a food dehydrator to make things like jerky or dried vegetables to increase shelf life. Though I am also considering being lazy and just adding a couple recipes that can be made at the campfire :P

daft73

Quote from: MarvinKosh on September 17, 2014, 07:34:10 PM
Honestly, this sounds like a great mode for the released game, with a stone age version of the music tracks. :)
I dig this. Though I think a tech tree would be part of it, just an ancient tech tree would apply. Something similar to what Caveman to Cosmos did for Civ4. This would take some effort sooo..I see this as a mod or a later addition by Tynan.