Development Stopped?

Started by litlbear, September 23, 2015, 02:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isistoy

Quote from: akiceabear on September 25, 2015, 08:10:25 PM
On time off... if you are so envious of his flexibility and income simply develop and sell a popular indie game...

exactly and, if you still have the time: try and question your own reasoning with what you estimate being the true normal work load for any kind of jobs before applying it to others, plz...
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>

isistoy

Quote from: captiva on September 25, 2015, 11:04:44 PM
... He really should put this on his main website for people to see, so people like me could have saved their money for a game that is being worked on or already finished.
Oh my... Then work on it during the while, I dunno!
But don't try to finish it though, you might burn out!
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>

TheGentlmen

Quote from: captiva on September 25, 2015, 11:04:44 PM
I just bought this game after following development for years now. I had no idea he decided to take a 6 month break. I actually wish I hadn't bought the game now. I do like it, but it is not finished. He made brief mention of a break in his recent dev blog on the main site, but I assumed that meant a month or so... not half a year. I wish him the best, but I am upset about this now. I don't have a lot of money and only bought it because of the progress he has recently been making. He really should put this on his main website for people to see, so people like me could have saved their money for a game that is being worked on or already finished.

Oh well, boo hoo...  ;D

I tell ya, you won't be running out of things too do if you *JUST* bought it. I've had it since like A8? Or A7? Like, an alpha or two before Epyic Pack came out, And I've still not ran out of things to do. And if you do  run out (which I dought), grab a mod... like my mods... Or a modpack, like HC, or UOM... better yet! Grab a Modpack then add my mod, like what I do. End of story is: Play with mah mods... be like me... throw bricks with hands and catch with face.

SHAMELESS ADVERTISEMENT OF MY MODS

akiceabear

I feel that he's always made very clear you shouldn't buy the game on the expectation of further development - if that is how you feel, you should wait until games are "final".

TheGentlmen

Quote from: akiceabear on September 26, 2015, 02:24:25 AM
I feel that he's always made very clear you shouldn't buy the game on the expectation of further development - if that is how you feel, you should wait until games are "final".
Its always a gamble when you by EA games... but you know what? I think its pretty good in its current state, if Ty desapears overnight and never comes back I'd be fine. I might be a little angry, but I still wouldn't think I've been ripped off.

captiva

I am just voicing my opinion. Don't need a bunch of rude fan boys talking crap. I am disappointed he quit developing the game and did not make this well known on his main page. I have spent 30 dollars on less, but am still disappointed all the same.

This is just my opinion no need to be jackasses about it.

Zargul

Quote from: captiva on September 26, 2015, 07:08:57 AM
I am disappointed he quit developing the game and did not make this well known on his main page. I have spent 30 dollars on less, but am still disappointed all the same.

He never stopped developing Rimworld, all he did is going on long holidays which he absolutely deserve.
And to be completely honest: Rimworld is already at a point where it has a lot of content and modability to offer.

The core game gives you a solid base what you want from a colony simulator and additional mods (or even modding yourself), makes the game even more awesome, giving you greater challenges, more content and simply much more fun.

Especially the fact that this game is mostly an One-Man-Project astounds me everytime and if he has worked non-stop over 3 years on Rimworld, those 6 months may give him new ideas as like enough energy and motivation to continue Rimworld.

Quote from: Coenmcj on September 25, 2015, 07:48:11 PM
He deserves the break, everyone's deserves a holiday, and in the content creation business, it's doubly true, cause if they get burnt out, then that content creation flow burns out too

As somebody who knows Artists, artblock and burnout is the death of bigger projects and damages the quality of the end product massively.
So I totally agree with this, Tynan has given us a great game to enjoy and we should be thankful, throw our money at him and give him time to cool off so he can refocus on the game when he comes back.

TheGentlmen

Quote from: captiva on September 26, 2015, 07:08:57 AM
I am just voicing my opinion. Don't need a bunch of rude fan boys talking crap. I am disappointed he quit developing the game and did not make this well known on his main page. I have spent 30 dollars on less, but am still disappointed all the same.

This is just my opinion no need to be jackasses about it.

1- He didn't quit developing... he just took a vacation
2- You totaly misunderstood what I men't, or else you wouldn't be calling me a 'Jackass' and a 'Fan boy'. I was simply stating MY opinion. I'm sorry for offending your very delicate piece of glass you call you.

Quote from: A Friend on September 21, 2015, 12:00:16 AM

Our lord and saviour blessed us weekly with bugfixes, and monthly updates and replied to us equally in the community praying site.

This perfect world went on and on for 12 more A's... until...

"Hai guys, I'm gonna be taking a 6 month break. Getting pretty burned out here. Won't be much updates until then."

Our lord and saviour has chosen to abandon us. Hope for content and bugfixes evaporated.

The community was in turmoil. Some calmed themselves with hope of his return.
"cmon guys its only 6months."

While others plunged deep into the realm of hopelessness.
"6 Months? what the fuck, you gotta be kidding me. I'm not playing this buggy mess."

Kluge

.2-.8% of current Rimworld players (depends a lot on demographic data I don't have) will die before the next time Tynan's even scheduled himself to look at the game. -So right off the bat, Tynan has damned those paying customers to never seeing Rimworld beyond early release (...??? Do license keys pass on death, legally?). Since decent studies on prison rape are almost impossible to find, I'm just going to go ahead and say it's more likely for you to die before the next major release than be anally molested in a US prison if you were convicted for a 5-year sentence and served it fully. (what is the r value for prison security level and molestation? Government grants for this necessary)

Tynan is... late twenties, non-smoker, maybe? There's a significant chance he'll die, too, but probably a greater chance he'll be convicted of a crime and anally molested in a prison. Food for thought in this meaningful, productive discussion on our feelings.

keylocke

i am assuming that tynan climbed up a mountain (barehanded) to train with legendary ninja-coding monks to help ease out his mind for the next evolution of rimworld..

..like adding z-levels, water dynamics, pvp/co-op multiplay, more intuitive RTS group controls, better graphics, and sexy times.. hahaha..

but everything else almost looks perfect for an indie EA. tynan should be proud of what he accomplished so far, but the long hiatus feels like a cliffhanger..

here's to hoping there'd be a rimworld : season 2, once tynan gets a second wind..

edit : it doesn't have to be AAA next-gen graphics, but maybe something like these will do :

GOForce3

I love this game like anyone else and am enjoying the mods. The problem I have is that Tynan is charging quite a lot for an early access game. He's making money on it, and since people are paying him good money for this game, he should put as much effort as he can to continually update it.  Yeah, you got to give the guy serious props for getting the game where it is now, and one person can only do so much.  But try to see things from other perspectives.  $30 is a lot of money for some people and it is disappointing to get the feeling that you're left hanging by the developer.  Maybe better communication from Tynan to the community about the current state of the game and development plans.  I think that if those people are reassured that the game will be further developed, they'll be satisfied with that 

MultiDavid

Quote from: GOForce3 on September 26, 2015, 05:16:00 PM
I love this game like anyone else and am enjoying the mods. The problem I have is that Tynan is charging quite a lot for an early access game. He's making money on it, and since people are paying him good money for this game, he should put as much effort as he can to continually update it.  Yeah, you got to give the guy serious props for getting the game where it is now, and one person can only do so much.  But try to see things from other perspectives.  $30 is a lot of money for some people and it is disappointing to get the feeling that you're left hanging by the developer.  Maybe better communication from Tynan to the community about the current state of the game and development plans.  I think that if those people are reassured that the game will be further developed, they'll be satisfied with that

Well, he DID tell us that perhaps colonist relationships were going to be in the next alpha, that is something yeah ?

And he is lurking around the forum at times.

TLHeart

nobody knows, but Tynan, and I truly doubt if he does... in six months he may have just moved onto to another interesting project to him. Look at the history he has made public, game development is only one area he likes to do. He never promises anything, and always keeps plans private.

I have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of the $30 I spent. From that point of view I am satisfied.

Tynan would make a great politician, as he really never says anything, but people hear so much.... perhaps, maybe, he might, well maybe in the next alpha, that part people miss, but lock onto next alpha is colonist relationships.

If Tynan returns, Animal husbandry has some huge problems that need addressed before any other new additions.

MultiDavid

Quote from: TLHeart on September 26, 2015, 05:53:58 PM
nobody knows, but Tynan, and I truly doubt if he does... in six months he may have just moved onto to another interesting project to him. Look at the history he has made public, game development is only one area he likes to do. He never promises anything, and always keeps plans private.

I have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of the $30 I spent. From that point of view I am satisfied.

Tynan would make a great politician, as he really never says anything, but people hear so much.... perhaps, maybe, he might, well maybe in the next alpha, that part people miss, but lock onto next alpha is colonist relationships.

If Tynan returns, Animal husbandry has some huge problems that need addressed before any other new additions.
Animal Husbandry has problems ? ( oh yeah, the egg thing and lots of other stuff too >_< )

TheGentlmen

Animals are a thing?

Like, I havn't found a use for animals... like they simply die from raids overnight without me noticing...

When a colinist dies I care... I'd replay an hours for of game JUST to insure they don't die. But when the animals dies I don't care. Not becuase they're useless, but instead because I'm never told they died. They've become disposable bots for all I care,  they all die in the first month and I NEVER notice.