Development Stopped?

Started by litlbear, September 23, 2015, 02:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelian

That is what makes Rimworld unique. Always room to add more and make it more fun and a deeper overall experience.

Enjoy your trip Tynan. I'm happy to hear development continues under your direction. :)

captiva

Quote from: Tynan on September 28, 2015, 11:54:56 AM
Hey I'm on a trip, not dead!

I'm also still around. Just not enough to keep up day to day on the forums.

However Piotr is working fulltime on the game under my ongoing direction. If he works all the way through, the next release may have quite a bit of new stuff in it indeed. Possibly 2x or more the usual man hours in an alpha (though much of it may be non-obvious refactoring work.)

6 months may seem like a long time but it'll be like 15% of the game's dev time by the end of it. Not a big deal in the grand scheme. Moreover the game has more content than was ever promised. The marketing page doesn't even mention animal taming/training at all. So I'm comfortable with what we're offering now.

First off I think you gotta do what you gotta do, but I would not have bought your game if I had seen you were going to stop working on it for half a year (would have waited) and think it should at least be mentioned in your dev blog as it seems pretty relevant, 6 months is a long break.

Second, you might have more features in game then on the front page, however the game is very clearly marked as an Alpha, not a finished product. I did not buy the game for the features listed on the front page, I bought it under the impression it is still a work in progress and because you had been making so much good progress recently. Calling it a Beta would be more assuming to a feature complete game and then maybe I would feel less inclined to expect more features and progress. If you think the game is in a feature compete state then you should reflect that in your marketing, not get snappy at people who expect an unfinished game to be getting more content.

I hope we can see some progress on the game from Piotr, I guess its better then nothing for half a year.

You already got my money, so I suppose this is all just a moot point. Enjoy your vacation.

Jaxxa

Quote from: captiva on September 29, 2015, 07:02:14 PM
... think it should at least be mentioned in your dev blog as it seems pretty relevant, 6 months is a long break ...

Like part way though this:
https://ludeon.com/blog/2015/07/on-the-upcoming-steam-release/

QuoteI'm taking some time off from full-time RimWorld development starting in September. Currently it's looking like it'll be about six months. I'll still be around to interact, but I won't be developing constantly like I have been.

Admittedly it could have been made more prominent and given it's own post, but it is there if you are reading them.

TLHeart

Quote from: captiva on September 29, 2015, 07:02:14 PM

-snip

Second, you might have more features in game then on the front page, however the game is very clearly marked as an Alpha, not a finished product. I did not buy the game for the features listed on the front page, I bought it under the impression it is still a work in progress and because you had been making so much good progress recently. Calling it a Beta would be more assuming to a feature complete game and then maybe I would feel less inclined to expect more features and progress. If you think the game is in a feature compete state then you should reflect that in your marketing, not get snappy at people who expect an unfinished game to be getting more content.

I hope we can see some progress on the game from Piotr, I guess its better then nothing for half a year.

You already got my money, so I suppose this is all just a moot point. Enjoy your vacation.

This very point has been brought to Tynan's attention more than once, but seems to not see the difference it makes. His answer is always the same, only purchase the game as is, don't expect any more from him. 

At last published account, which he no longer does, 90,000 copies had been sold... 90,000 * 30 = 2.7 million dollars over 3 years.

DNK

Quote from: Tynan on September 28, 2015, 11:54:56 AM6 months may seem like a long time but it'll be like 15% of the game's dev time by the end of it.

So, it'll be done next summer?

ison

As Tynan said, I'm working on the RimWorld now, so I guess the development is not stopped.

QuoteFirst time I heard of this Piotr. Has he been with you for long?

I've started working on RimWorld in June 2014, but I had a 9-months break from October to June 2015, and now I'm back and will hopefully stay until the end of the RimWorld's development.

Jarwy

Quote from: ison on October 02, 2015, 07:38:01 AM
As Tynan said, I'm working on the RimWorld now, so I guess the development is not stopped.

I've started working on RimWorld in June 2014, but I had a 9-months break from October to June 2015, and now I'm back and will hopefully stay until the end of the RimWorld's development.

Ah, nice. Are you going to update the Rimworld change log? That's pretty much the way I imagine most of us have followed recent developments over the years.

ison

Quote from: Jarwy on October 02, 2015, 08:42:52 AM

Ah, nice. Are you going to update the Rimworld change log? That's pretty much the way I imagine most of us have followed recent developments over the years.

Hmm, interesting idea. I'll ask Tynan.

StorymasterQ

I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Coenmcj

Damn it. You beat me to it StorymasterQ!
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

daft73

Welcome back ison, enjoy your stay, looking forward to the future happenings.

cameron908

Quote from: ison on October 03, 2015, 04:10:17 PM
Quote from: Jarwy on October 02, 2015, 08:42:52 AM

Hmm, interesting idea. I'll ask Tynan.

Yup, I have his work log page set as a homepage so I can get excited about new things that are to come  :D