litlbear

No updates for a while.  What happened?
yes

chaouki

Quote from: litlbear on September 23, 2015, 02:03:15 PM
No updates for a while.  What happened?

Tynan is on hiatus/holidays for a couple of months if I remember clearly

passi965

The last update came out about a Month ago (i think).
Tynan does what he can, he doesnt have a big company with 100+ people that work on the game, i think tynan is making this game alone so give him time

CheeseGromit

From dev blog (1st July).

"In the meantime, though, I think it's time for a bit of a break. I've been working on RimWorld and its prototypes for going on three years straight now, and my hours are usually pretty long. I'm starting to feel a bit of burnout. I often seem to develop this dull ache behind the eyes after a couple hours of work. I have trouble concentrating for the lengths of time that used to be normal for me. For that reason – and just because I believe in having a life that isn't all work – I'm taking some time off from full-time RimWorld development starting in September. Currently it's looking like it'll be about six months. I'll still be around to interact, but I won't be developing constantly like I have been."

I'd call development paused,it sounds less final than stopped.

Ptolisgoodguy

I think it gives more time for modders to update or expand their existing mods without the threat of the mods becoming outdated. It can also allow for new modders to enter the scene and hone their skills.
I hear the voices... They are telling me to do terrible things... Sounds Fun!

cultist

To be fair, he also posted this a while back:

QuoteSo is it done? I've thought a lot about what it means to call a game "done". Ten years ago, a game was done when it was printed to disc. But with digital distribution, we never lose the ability to keep changing a game. So when is a game done? Is it just when you stop adding things? No, because a game can be abandoned without being finished. Is it when there's nothing else that could be added? That's not reasonable; I could work on RimWorld for 50 years and never satisfy that. In the end, I think that a game is done when promises have been fulfilled, and there aren't holes in the design. And we're reached that point, so RimWorld is done.
That said, just because RimWorld is done doesn't necessarily mean I'm done with it.

While a bit ambiguous (and he goes on to add that he intends to work more on the game), I don't think you should expect huge changes to the core game anytime soon. Animal taming was a pretty big change, and there is some work to do there still. After that, it's probably about time for the Steam release, and I don't see a whole lot of time for major changes before that. That's just my opnion though, and it's hard to say exactly what will happen between now and the Steam release, also considering we don't know if the release will be early or late 2016.

A Friend

I just hope colonist relations and better faction interaction (rhymes dawg)
would be added before it's considered "done".
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

LaMizzy

Well, whatever is not done...there will always be mods...

And there was a thread about doing another funding event to hire Tynan for another year long development =)
Don't know how that ended tho...think it was on the positive end

magicbush

While I understand the need for a vacation 6 month's is a very long vacation lol. Most people work 40-70 hours a week and only get 4-8 weeks off a year so I am finding it hard to support his move, and I would not be surprised if he is starting on a new project during that period honestly. But hopefully he comes back refreshed regardless of my opinion and gets back to cracking and does the Steam release after finishing up the game(or while).

Daman453

Well, i do see steam apps is in the rimworld folder. So i think that he will get on that as soon as he comes back
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
For flu, try a cock. If that doesn't work, try boobmilk. Nice.

REMworlder

Tynan's been putting off his break for awhile; one reason he was big on stability and held off on some changes he might have otherwise made for the latest build was for this reason.

Tynan seems pretty strict about intensive iteration, and is also strict about taking breaks from it. He works a lot longer than an eight hour 9-5 schedule. I'm tired of seeing devs get burnt out on games. Plus keep in mind there's lots of activity going on behind the scenes, lots of content getting iterated, prep that hasn't come to the surface yet.

Quote from: TynanI'm a little burned out and I've been working on some marketing stuff and learning some new programming skills.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13772.msg141263#msg141263

Tamedsquall

It was a few months ago but he started a thread asking people about his break. He actually had the thought of releasing it on Steam before his break. But we all advised against it as that might ruin the games reputation if it was released and then not updated for at least six months.

I agree with the other fellow here. Six months is a rather long break and the average worker wouldn't be able to pull this off. But I'd say, he's made the extra money to make this happen. So, whatever.

Coenmcj

He deserves the break, everyone's deserves a holiday, and in the content creation business, it's doubly true, cause if they get burnt out, then that content creation flow burns out too, I'd rather wait 6 months and having him return with a fresh mindset than have the remainder of this time with him in a perpetually bummed out mood. :)

Sometimes people just need time off, and if it's 6 months worth, Is it really so much to ask?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

akiceabear

On time off - my impression is that Tynan has been working on Rimworld without any significant breaks for 3+ years. That simply isn't sustainable. Whether his break should be 3 months or 6 months etc isn't really the business of anyone on this forum, so long as you've received what was advertised when you paid (and I think this is true for essentially all of us). As with any holiday, that's between Tynan and his employer (himself); if you are so envious of his flexibility and income simply develop and sell a popular indie game.

I look forward to development starting again, but find complaints about the break weaselly.

captiva

I just bought this game after following development for years now. I had no idea he decided to take a 6 month break. I actually wish I hadn't bought the game now. I do like it, but it is not finished. He made brief mention of a break in his recent dev blog on the main site, but I assumed that meant a month or so... not half a year. I wish him the best, but I am upset about this now. I don't have a lot of money and only bought it because of the progress he has recently been making. He really should put this on his main website for people to see, so people like me could have saved their money for a game that is being worked on or already finished.