[Mod Help/Request] Rust in Rimworld

Started by Dante King, September 26, 2015, 06:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dante King

So, I've had a craving for a game called Rust, its amazing savagery and insanity. So I want to combine them with another fun game of mine, Rimworld! But I don't know the first thing about modding, besides editing guns and such...yeah my modding skill is only 1. So can somebody make this mod a reality/help me make it a reality??

List of things that I plan to add:
-Total remake of the material system, so no uranium or plasteel.
-New structures, High external wall, like a normal wall but with a lot of HP and doesn't make ceilings.
-New armor and weapons + weapon rebalance. So Bolt action snipers and AK-47s, along with rockets
-New research, such as repair benches and C4, along with things like weapon upgrades like 10% extra AK-47 fire rate.
-New raid types, such as a rocket bombardment, so a mix of sieges and standard assaults.
-New incidents, such as a group of people new to the game, or a hacker is passing by with tons of gear, or somebody is building a shack nearby, a clan is building a base nearby, and possibly others.
-More colonist names that are more like a players name (i.e. stormlord67, lordofsweg101).
-New storytellers that act like servers, low pop, med pop, and high pop. Each with varying event chances and such.

EDIT: Added things planned.

A Friend

You kinda need to be a bit more specific. Like what do you want to add into Rimworld to make it Rust-ish?
Weapons?
Everyone spawning naked first?
Airdrops?

(Also I'm no coder/modder, just pointing it out.)
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Dante King

Everything that is in rust for the most part. I want Rust, in Rimworld. I have a general idea and some thoughts about it, if anybody wants to help PM me.

Fluffy (l2032)

you might get more response if you put those ideas out here...  Right now I have no idea if I like what you want (not having played rust), or if it's doable at all.

On a related note, I can pretty much guarantee that multiplayer is not going to happen, if that's one of your ideas (I think that's a main part of Rust, but might be wrong ;)). That discussion has been had multiple times, and the TLDR is that it's very hard to do properly, and most if not all modders are simply not interested.

Didact04

Seems like a tall ask for a rather niche purpose.

Endovior

I'm not familiar with Rust, but if it helps...

Quote from: Dante King on September 26, 2015, 06:03:40 AMList of things that I plan to add:
-Total remake of the material system, so no uranium or plasteel.
Doable, but time-consuming; you pretty much need to give the entire economy a total conversion, and re-do costs and recipes accordingly. It's been done, but is not trivial.
Quote-New structures, High external wall, like a normal wall but with a lot of HP and doesn't make ceilings.
That one is quite doable (other structure ideas might not be, of course). Bear in mind that no-ceiling walls aren't implemented in core, and as such can have odd effects, which result in them getting illogically crushed by collapsing ceilings.
Quote-New armor and weapons + weapon rebalance. So Bolt action snipers and AK-47s, along with rockets
It's been done; there are plenty of modern weapon mods floating around already. You might want to look at some of those projects and decide if any are close enough, instead of spending the time to completely redo all the weapons.
Quote-New research, such as repair benches and C4, along with things like weapon upgrades like 10% extra AK-47 fire rate.
That's... tricky. It's easy enough to tech-gate a structure that you need to build special things (like C4). That said, I haven't seen a mod that affects weapon attributes (like fire rate), and I'm inclined to suspect that making it so that a given tech affects the attributes of all the weapons of a given type in use by your faction would be hard.
Quote-New raid types, such as a rocket bombardment, so a mix of sieges and standard assaults.
Quite doable. Siegers can be convinced to use custom siege weapons, and incidents that drop explody things on your base have been done.
Quote-New incidents, such as a group of people new to the game, or a hacker is passing by with tons of gear, or somebody is building a shack nearby, a clan is building a base nearby, and possibly others.
Wandering groups of various compositions are vanilla, and you can tell the game how you want to set them up. Wandering traders have been made to be a thing, but it'd take some creativity to make someone loot-pinata in a hacked-seeming way (you'd need to hack the game yourself, heh. note that the mod that adds traders basically has them conjure up a tent-store, which vanishes when they leave/die). Beyond that, members of other factions building in your vicinity is so far exclusively a siege thing, so making people 'siege' constructively would probably start with an attempt at AI modding (which sounds hard).
Quote-More colonist names that are more like a players name (i.e. stormlord67, lordofsweg101).
I know that's doable for NPC factions (see: Pirates!), but haven't seen it for the default colony-faction names (which doesn't mean it's not possible, certainly...). It doesn't sound hard, but making the names appropriately random-ish, instead of just being a small repeating pool might be.
Quote-New storytellers that act like servers, low pop, med pop, and high pop. Each with varying event chances and such
Quite possible, depending on specifics. Look at existing modded storytellers for inspiration.