[Mod Idea] Pre-Fallout Mod

Started by skellitor301, September 26, 2015, 02:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skellitor301

What do I mean by "pre-fallout"? Well, one aspect of this game is base building and part of that which alot of people do is they build their bases within the safety of a mountain or hill. What other game has this idea? None other than Fallout and their Vaults. We all know how a vault works, but it's never really explained the process in making one of these vaults. So The idea for the mod is you're a lead manager for Vault-Tech and it's your job to design and build a vault that is completely self sufficient when the door is shut and cut off from the rest of the world. Here's a bit of a break down of the different aspects of the idea I've had for this mod:

Income and Resource Expenditure - Vault-Tech wont expect you to dig up your own resources for your vaults, instead you'll have to balance labor and construction costs based on a fixed income budget. This is low at first, but the better you do in certain tasks the better a raise you can get to buy more resources and manpower. So the better you perform at building and keeping your vault safe, the better your salary will end up being.

Complete Solidarity - The vault must be built to keep the inhabitants completely sealed away from the outside world. This includes making sure it can withstand a nuclear blast from nearby, and damage from within it's walls. After all, we need to think about if the vault inhabitants do have some form of problem, that it remains isolated from the rest of the world.

Social Experements - One of the parts a vault played in was using them for social experiments. This is an optional game mode which will change the way a vault could be made. If you successfully build your vault to meet the basic vault requirements /and/ compete the social experiment, then your paycheck will increase big time. But of course this can increase the chances of right wing activists to show up at the vaults doorstep to attack, which brings me to the next part.

Activism/Enemies - as with every large organization, there's going to be public groups that are against your cause, so vault security is needed to defend your construction sites. They're a pest at all of the vault construction sites, and they'll be growing in numbers the bigger the vault is. This as stated before will be a bigger threat if your vault takes on a social experiment.

Vault Infrastructure - As with all vaults, there will be jobs in the vault that will need to be filled by it's inhabitants. There'll be volunteers that applied to take on a job within the vault, and it's the players job to put in and assign jobs to certain inhabitants. Some jobs in a vault will be required such as an overseer, power generator technicians, food processor, waste, etc. There will also be optional jobs within the vault that can be added, such as a printing facility to let the inhabitants create reading material for the years to come. Or clothing shops to let inhabitants repair bad jumpsuits and make new ones out of old ones. Also Pipboy technician stations so your vault can repair and upgrade their pipboys. The end result is up to the player.

Any more ideas to add to this mod is welcome, but this is the base idea for the mod

caboose410

I feel like you are stressing to much on the building part and missing the most important thing--the actual nuclear blast. There should be a set amount of time, say, 1-2 in game year for you to construct the vaults before the bomb hits. And the fallout can be represented by combining a stronger vision of the existed volcanic ash and fallout event. Also, I feel that the job system would be pretty hard to mod and we should just keep the current system. But overall, I love the idea of building a vault and more fallout mods. Hope someone can make this into a fallout mod!

skellitor301

Well, a timer wouldn't really follow Fallout very well as the bombs were never really timed to drop by the americans. If the americans in the fallout universe knew when the bombs would drop then they would've either taken shelter sooner or would've prepared for the arrival with a counter attack, preventing the bombs from droping that day. As for the job system, the game already has a job system so a modder can use that.

The idea is surrounded the building of the vaults, as a 'just in case' scenario as the war was unpredictable. So that's the job of the player, make a vault.

caboose410

True, but i think without a bomb it just won't be as fun, without the explosion and anticipation and all. And Im not saying that the Americans would know exactly when the bomb's going to drop, in fact the public almost forgot about the nuclear threat just before the bombing, which can explain why you only get so little funding.
Also i don't really know how modding works in this game, so thanks for pointing it out.

Toggle

Sorry, but this kind of is an entirely different game. It's more Prison Architect then Rimworld, really.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

skellitor301

PA does have sort of a fallout mod, but it's a re-skin, this game would be more fitting for a mod like this because PA is made to keep npc's in. This game mainly isn't focussed on keeping npc's inside (save for prisoners), More for basebuilding and surviving, more fitting for making a vault.

Toggle

Quote from: skellitor301 on September 26, 2015, 11:36:38 PM
PA does have sort of a fallout mod, but it's a re-skin, this game would be more fitting for a mod like this because PA is made to keep npc's in. This game mainly isn't focussed on keeping npc's inside (save for prisoners), More for basebuilding and surviving, more fitting for making a vault.
QuoteIncome and Resource Expenditure - Vault-Tech wont expect you to dig up your own resources for your vaults, instead you'll have to balance labor and construction costs based on a fixed income budget. This is low at first, but the better you do in certain tasks the better a raise you can get to buy more resources and manpower. So the better you perform at building and keeping your vault safe, the better your salary will end up being.

Getting a paid salary, not being expected to dig up your own resources... Yeah, doesn't really fit Rimworld. The mod would strip entirely away Rimworld theme, so theme replacement, but the point of Rimworld is survival. There's no survival inside a vault, that's running an operation, which is basically Prison Architect. The best way it would work is PA systems, water, rooms, equipment, with Rimworld's Colonist needs, feelings, stats, all the colonist stuff.

skellitor301

You're thinking way too base game, the mod isn't entirely a survival mod. Think if it as a complete overhaul mod, where instead of focusing on 'where can I gather resources to survive' the mod's direction is instead a focus of 'what resources can I afford while maintaining a frontline and a work force'. PA does not have a raid system that comes from outside it's walls, and PA is designed around keeping prisoners inside, which is not the focus on the mod at all. Rimworld honestly is more a fit in how the game is built; basebuilder, the way how npc's are controlled and used, there already is a buy and sell resources system, and a job system based on npc skills that you can assign specific npc's to. PA does not really have a fleshed out skill system or jobs like that, and the npc's are not really designed around building a vault because you're not trying to keep inhabitants in the vault /during/ it's construction.

Bottom line, yes it's a different kind of basebuilder than either game, but implementing such a mod would fit better with rimworld based on how rimworld functions in these areas. I even pointed out that this was a basebuilder idea in the first sentence of my first post

Toggle

I'm saying what you suggested was basically combining both games.

skellitor301

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by that