anyone else get bored with the late game?

Started by mc858, September 26, 2015, 06:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killer117

How do u run project zomboid. Looks great, but runs on my pc at like 5 fps, whereas i can run rimworld, prison architect and shogun total war 2 just fine. Even lowest graphics settings dont help
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

mc858

Quote from: killer117 on October 21, 2015, 07:42:24 AM
How do u run project zomboid. Looks great, but runs on my pc at like 5 fps, whereas i can run rimworld, prison architect and shogun total war 2 just fine. Even lowest graphics settings dont help

it actually runs fine- the issue is that they added SO MANY more zombies to the maps- it can get pretty crazy when there are a few hundred zombies (downtown for example) - but usually those situations end in death anyway

its really going to be an excellent game when its released- the next big update should be out soon btw----oh - there is also a really cool map of The Walking Dead prison- its so detailed- and if you are a fan of the show you will love it

As for the other games , i want to mention Prison Architect that uses the same game engine as Rimworld slows to a crawl when you have over 500 prisoners (because it runs on one core like most games in the genre) - so i tend to keep my prisons below that population limit- and its still a blast to play. Hopefully they optimize it soon though lol- i want to get the 1k prisoner achievment

TheGentlmen

Quote from: mc858 on October 21, 2015, 06:44:14 PM

it actually runs fine- the issue is that they added SO MANY more zombies to the maps- it can get pretty crazy when there are a few hundred zombies (downtown for example) - but usually those situations end in death anyway

its really going to be an excellent game when its released- the next big update should be out soon btw----oh - there is also a really cool map of The Walking Dead prison- its so detailed- and if you are a fan of the show you will love it

As for the other games , i want to mention Prison Architect that uses the same game engine as Rimworld slows to a crawl when you have over 500 prisoners (because it runs on one core like most games in the genre) - so i tend to keep my prisons below that population limit- and its still a blast to play. Hopefully they optimize it soon though lol- i want to get the 1k prisoner achievment
PA uses a seperate engine.

Rimworld uses Unity, PA uses a custom engine that the guys at Introversion made.

mc858

Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENT) on October 21, 2015, 07:51:02 PM

Rimworld uses Unity, PA uses a custom engine that the guys at Introversion made.

Ah, i see. Thanks for the clarification

so are there any other games you would recommend like the ones i mentioned? You seem pretty knowledgable about this genre!

TheGentlmen

Quote from: mc858 on October 21, 2015, 07:59:56 PM

so are there any other games you would recommend like the ones i mentioned? You seem pretty knowledgable about this genre!

Not really knowledgeable about this genre, I just happened to remember reading about PA being made in its own custom engine.

As for similiar games:
-Dwarf Fortress - Could never get into
-Craft The World - Blits had a lets play of it, seems interesting.
-PlanetBase - Just released. Steams been crap and won't let me purchase anything, and it only released on steam so I havn't gotten a chance to play it.
-Gnomoria - Heard of it, never tried it.
-The Powder Toy - Not exactly part of this genre. Its a free Particle Simulator which is interesting to mess with. Kinda like Falling Sand Advanced.

mc858

Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENT) on October 21, 2015, 08:13:33 PM
Quote from: mc858 on October 21, 2015, 07:59:56 PM

Not really knowledgeable about this genre, I just happened to remember reading about PA being made in its own custom engine.

As for similiar games:
-Dwarf Fortress - Could never get into
-Craft The World - Blits had a lets play of it, seems interesting.
-PlanetBase - Just released. Steams been crap and won't let me purchase anything, and it only released on steam so I havn't gotten a chance to play it.
-Gnomoria - Heard of it, never tried it.
-The Powder Toy - Not exactly part of this genre. Its a free Particle Simulator which is interesting to mess with. Kinda like Falling Sand Advanced.

awesom- ill look into some of those like PlanetBase and Craft the World

you should really try Gnomoria- its awesome once you get the hang of it- and the battles are a little bit more exciting - it also has Z levels so you can dig deep and find new enemies and types of ore to craft stronger weapons/etc with.

thanks again

Adamiks

Quote from: Listy on October 21, 2015, 02:44:42 AM
Set yourself a long term goal. Raise an army of Rhino's or create legendary large gold sculpture to adorn the entrance way to your colony (think Colossus of Rhodes).

Yeah... That's exactly what Rimworld is about. Without setting yourself long term goal game don't have one.

Boooooriiiiiiingggggg.

And when i'm on late game i spawn a lot of raids to see how long can i survive ;d

A Friend

Early game is probably the best part of the game for me. Late game where everything is pretty much set up is a bit boring. None of my successful colonies really get ended by raids, It's mostly from transitioning into the latest Alpha.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

mc858

Quote from: A Friend on October 22, 2015, 08:05:26 AM
Early game is probably the best part of the game for me. Late game where everything is pretty much set up is a bit boring. None of my successful colonies really get ended by raids, It's mostly from transitioning into the latest Alpha.

100% agree

killer117

I actually have never lost a colony before. I used dev mode on a few, but even the ones i didnt never have died, and while some have come close, ive only resorted to canabilism once, even though i play almost entirely on ice sheet, with randy randdom on challange, but the only colonies ive ever had die have been by throwing dev mode at them
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Listy

One late game challenge I keep finding is PC power Vs man Power Vs needs to keep everyone fed Vs Hauling Vs size of the raids.
Quite simply put I feel like I'm barely scraping by on food, as there's so much work to be done. But increasing the manpower is an issue. As at the moment I'm 10 years in with ~40 colonists. I had to buy off the Tribals as the numbers during raids were getting silly. Even the pirate raids are getting a bit bonkers.

Boston

Quote from: Listy on October 24, 2015, 02:26:56 AM

One late game challenge I keep finding is PC power Vs man Power Vs needs to keep everyone fed Vs Hauling Vs size of the raids.
Quite simply put I feel like I'm barely scraping by on food, as there's so much work to be done. But increasing the manpower is an issue. As at the moment I'm 10 years in with ~40 colonists. I had to buy off the Tribals as the numbers during raids were getting silly. Even the pirate raids are getting a bit bonkers.

This is my main "problem" with how raids work. Where are these groups getting the manpower to be able to throw numbers like that at you? And, it isn't even like they are only suffering a few losses, with most of their fighters getting wounded. I've killed every tribal warrior in a massive raid before, only to get raided again by an equally-large group a couple of weeks later....

Plus, you would think they would ..... learn their lesson?, after a couple of failed raids.

"hey, we are gonna go hit that offworlder colony. They've got so much nice stuff!"
-" you mean, that offworld colony where, whenever someone raids them, everyone dies? Yeah, no, staying alive sounds nice"

Adamiks

Yeah, exactly.

"Hey! New people! We should raid them with our most old guy with a broken shiv!"
*first raid*
"Fuck! We will sent three old guys!"
"Fuck! We will throw five guys in there!"
"Fuck! We will throw eigth guys in there!"
"Fuck! We will..... What Steve?! You mean we should throw hundred people in there!? It's madness! You hear me!? ITS MADNESS! We will sent ten guys there!"
"Fuck!"

AI logic ;d

A Friend

Hopefully the raid issue would get sorted out somehow when factions get fleshed out more and more faction-based events are added.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

TwixFunSize