anyone else get bored with the late game?

Started by mc858, September 26, 2015, 06:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vault101

The way I play it, no. I tweaked difficulty so the raids are twice as hard as usual on hardest difficulty. Then as the game goes on I generate huge amounts of colony wealth through art and crafting and get massive raids, 200+ sappers, 200+ mechs. End game ends up being the most enjoyable part because with randy I sometimes get a chain of absolutely deadly raids that leave me wondering if I'll make it or not.

Adamiks

Quote from: Vault101 on November 03, 2015, 06:18:36 PM
The way I play it, no. I tweaked difficulty so the raids are twice as hard as usual on hardest difficulty. Then as the game goes on I generate huge amounts of colony wealth through art and crafting and get massive raids, 200+ sappers, 200+ mechs. End game ends up being the most enjoyable part because with randy I sometimes get a chain of absolutely deadly raids that leave me wondering if I'll make it or not.

When you say "hard" you mean 2x more people in every raid?

This kind of difficulty is really boring. And after some time my game would lag anyway.... So it's not the rigth way to make game more enjoyable.

Vault101

Quote from: Adamiks on November 04, 2015, 10:01:12 AM
Quote from: Vault101 on November 03, 2015, 06:18:36 PM

When you say "hard" you mean 2x more people in every raid?

This kind of difficulty is really boring. And after some time my game would lag anyway.... So it's not the rigth way to make game more enjoyable.

My game doesn't lag at all on normal speed (it gets laggy if I do 3x speed while the massive raid is running TO my base but that's so minor and it's irrelevant to the fun part which is the battle itself when there is no lag).

mc858

the dev should add super monsters like in Dwarf Fortress....forget large raids or annoying mechs- give us rare beasts that attack. AND Z LEVELS PLEASE! =)

halby

If late game is boring, just make the early game harder so you never get to the boring part. :)

Didact04

The game is, at most, half finished. Even then, the half we have is in need of polish in a lot of places. Most everyone has noticed the suicidal AI and the redundant raiding tactics that never change. Mechs? Raiders? Po-tay-to, po-tah-to. They die or you die. Rinse and repeat.

Personally I stopped playing Rimworld a month or two ago. Someone here said it perfectly: all the mods do, which are the biggest bit of variety we have access to, are just different ways to play the start or cutesy little endgame pieces that no one ever uses because Raider/Robot Slaughter Simulator gets too old too fast. Everything just changes the early game.

And now I check back every so often looking for news from the dev. When there is none, I go off to play something else.

It's half a game, people. I think it's high time we remember that and act appropriately with our time if we are dissatisfied.

xlockeed

Quote from: mc858 on November 16, 2015, 07:11:48 PM
the dev should add super monsters like in Dwarf Fortress....forget large raids or annoying mechs- give us rare beasts that attack. AND Z LEVELS PLEASE! =)

I was thinking the same thing. (Very Rare cookie monster) Like an alien monster the size of a thrumbo and twice the strength and has the ability to dig / tunnel. Give it a chocolate sense and it's main goal is to get to your store rooms and consume it all. Anything gets in it's way pretty much spells disaster. You could do the same with beer or large stockpiles of food. Most animals have heightened sense of smell and well there alien  ;) .

But yeah there needs to be some form of animal event that requires everyone to attack or avoid it until it leaves after awhile (man hunter packs is a good step in the right direction. It does need to be balanced though aka free food and skins). A little spice to make you either go "oh cr@p" or reload last save. I would kind of welcome seeing some massive swamp like creature make it's way through my walls (4x4 path not 1x1) and tunnel it's way to my food stocks unless I napalm it into fertilizer. Heck give them immunity / resistances to certain weapons as to force the player to utilize all ranges of weapons.

As for late game why not glitter world construction. Requires a ton of plasteel and basically makes your colony into an established outpost / glitter world. You could have plasteel sentry turrets and walls that pretty much withstand attacks. You can still ship off the rock but you have the option to build your colony into a stronghold. Once your done you can pick another location on planet and begin making outposts to colonize the planet while retaining (limited) trade links to your old base.

All games become boring after awhile. Everyone's attention span differs.
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.

killer117

I think there should be some sort of lategame part where u get to attack. I know that raiding AI bases has been talked to death. But i think there should be some lategame event where a mostly intact starship crashes and replaces a chunk of the map. You cant see inside till your guys go in, so u have no idea what ur in for. Could be traders in need of help. Could be an AI run ship with no crew you can plunder at will, could be a pirate ship filled with hostile mercs defending thier loot. Could be military from a midworld that think your tresspasing and respond accordingly, could be glitterworld troopers that find u inferior and in need of extermination. Could even be a mechanoid ship filled with genocidal robats that only want to screw u over.

Point is this only adds a few things and one new event, but creates a whole new problem for lategame players, as they face the risk and uncertainty of such an event, but maybe its worth the reward. I just think this adds a good new dynamic to the game.
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Didact04 on November 17, 2015, 01:11:49 AM
The game is, at most, half finished.

Not the way that Ty sees it. He's said a few times recently that he considers it almost finished. In fact (ill dig up the quote need be) he said recently that he could pretty much do a final bug bash and consider it complete any time now.

Murdo

There's a lot more I'd like to see in Rimworld, and a lot of room for it to grow in terms of AI and system interaction and "world" presence, but you have to ask yourself... how many single-player games do I have in my library that don't get a little boring after a few hundred hours of accumulated play?

Adamiks

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on December 03, 2015, 03:48:59 AM
Quote from: Didact04 on November 17, 2015, 01:11:49 AM
The game is, at most, half finished.

Not the way that Ty sees it. He's said a few times recently that he considers it almost finished. In fact (ill dig up the quote need be) he said recently that he could pretty much do a final bug bash and consider it complete any time now.

Yeah, exactly. If this IS "finished" game then it's really boring. If Tynan would stop making updates i would rate this "finished" version like 6/10 or 7/10 (for being mod open). Why? Because at first it's amazing game, but after you'll play on all biomes all what you can do is set challenges for yourself or add mods to make game interesting.

zlongshark

Make your whole crew bionic.
Try to max out some skills (Harder then you would think).
Buy some thrumbo's and breed them.
Make everything masterwork quality.

Another idea i tried was  create a  base of psychopaths capture travelers ect and sell them ect  its more enjoyable because the characters don't care if you sell raiders.
"Who would have guessed you could order beer in the outer rim of the galaxy"