Why so expensive?

Started by Oga88, September 27, 2015, 04:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REMworlder

Like Coenmcj and pktongrimworld mention, the real factor here is Steam's region-controlled pricing. In the US, Cities:Skylines costs $30 instead of the ~$8.00 it would cost in Russia. That's a huuge discount. RimWorld isn't region controlled, so everyone pays the same price.

Eastern Europe is designated "EU 2 zone" by Steam, which is generally the cheapest game market. So while RimWorld may be comparatively expensive to EU 2 Zone residents, it's actually on par with most other markets. Funny enough, if you wait for RimWorld to get listed on Steam a few months from now, region pricing could be applied and OP could see the region price he's used to.

Meanwhile, the benchmark Skylines is actually cheaper in the US at $30 compared to Canada where it's $32.50 and Australia where it's $35.

Xav

I happen to agree with you.  $30 is too much.  However, at the same time, I tend to really enjoy the game.

I've enjoyed playing it more than some games I've bought regardless of price (some more, some less).  If the game were finished, oddly, I probably wouldn't buy it for $30 and that is the weird part.  It seems that seeing the development of the game and being able to leave the game for a couple months and come back to try out the new features by dumping another 20 hours into the game makes it "worth" the 'high' purchase price.  It isn't for every body I suppose.  I tend to immerse myself in a game then leave it for a while then come back to it and get immersed again.  I also play Cities Skylines...same thing for that game.

Cheers!

Dive

Being a russian too, I can say that the real issue here, as stated above, is a lack of regional pricing. In some places of the world there is not as much money as in other places, thus to get any customers at all a price of a product should be lower, and indeed in Russia games used to cost less.
But that's not the only reason Tynan will not get much buyers from Russia with the current price - we have just experienced a massive currency fall. One year ago, you could have bought RW for ~1200 rub, which is already a kinda high price for a game here, considering the fact that most games cost below 1000, but right now RW is ~2300 rub which IMO is insane to even think of for a majority of russian gamers.
So yeah, implementing regional pricing would certainly boost RW sales. Maybe if Tynan runs low on funds he should consider focusing his efforts on implementing Steam distribution, as regional pricing is already implemented in Steam.

RemingtonRyder

In case you were wondering, Valve also region-locks your gift purchases so that you can't send them to someone in another country in exchange for something else.

Jarwy

Quote from: Oga88 on September 27, 2015, 06:58:17 AM
I did, I bought this game when it was alpha 4. And you know what? Not that much changed for a year. Nothing special.

Wait, what? The thing I have been consistently impressed with Rimworld is that every update has added something interesting and mechanically unique to the game.

But anyway, this thread is fairly redundant because if you feel like you wasted your money, there is nothing anyone can do change your mind. Here is a tip for you though; don't purchase games in development and/or in early access.

slippy

Quote from: Oga88 on September 27, 2015, 05:31:36 AM
And after I played the game with mods I never played it again with out them. And that is credit to the modding community and not Ludeon.
Oga, Tynan has put in a lot work to make sure this game is easily modable.  So credit goes to the modding community AND Ludeon.

akiceabear

Quote from: Oga88 on September 27, 2015, 07:12:49 AM
Quote from: akiceabear on September 27, 2015, 07:05:25 AM
How many hours have you played since A4?
500+

So, clearly your complaint isn't because you don't enjoy the game. It's obviously been good value for money from a hours/dollar perspective.

What are you expectations when you spent $30 on A4? Where has it failed to live up to your expectations? Why did you play 500+ hours if you were disappointed?

I have to say, your comparisons with AAA titles make it seem like you deluded yourself about what this game would ultimately include with regards to graphics and content. Prison Architect or Dwarf Fortress would have been better (and obvious) comparisons for the general development direction.

Kalshion

30 isn't that high of a price; in fact I find rather rare to find good games below 40 now-a-days. I typically avoid paying 60 espically if its from certain companies that have lost my trust.

However, whomever pointed out that 30 will keep away CoD 'kids', I would like to remind them that they are making a baseless - and very false - assumption, as there are many here whom I know of that also play CoD and they are in their forties and fifties or even early thirties (such as me) so no this won't discourage us 'kids' from buying Rimworld. Also, insulting a segment of the gamer base demonstrates that you lack the ability to properly argue your point without resorting to baseless insults.

StorymasterQ

Kalshion, I think what they mean by 'CoD kids' aren't necessarily kids in the sense that they are young of age. It's that they're kids in the sense that they can't even grammar properly. And you have to admit, those types don't have an age restriction, and (it may be slightly biased) are found playing games such as CoD.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Kalshion

Quote from: StorymasterQ on September 28, 2015, 08:46:52 PM
Kalshion, I think what they mean by 'CoD kids' aren't necessarily kids in the sense that they are young of age. It's that they're kids in the sense that they can't even grammar properly. And you have to admit, those types don't have an age restriction, and (it may be slightly biased) are found playing games such as CoD.

Ahhh, if that is the case, then I do in fact agree with what the man said. Its actually one of the reasons I do not play MP in those games anymore - got tired of having to look up a dictionary on the net just to figure out what some people are trying to say!

BetaSpectre

Better than a subscription payment. Like MMO's
I've had more fun with Rimworld than I did with Minecraft or Halo.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Wex

Quote from: Kalshion on September 28, 2015, 11:08:03 PM
Quote from: StorymasterQ on September 28, 2015, 08:46:52 PM

Ahhh, if that is the case, then I do in fact agree with what the man said. Its actually one of the reasons I do not play MP in those games anymore - got tired of having to look up a dictionary on the net just to figure out what some people are trying to say!
Yea, sorry for not being clear. It was a generalization that almost missed the point. Thanks for clearing that up.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Snownova

I got more joy out of my $30 Rimworld purchase than I did from my $60 Simcity 2013 purchase. Even now I've bought the Cities Skylines After Dark DLC/Expansion but I've actually been playing Rimworld instead of After Dark the past week.

Knowing what I know now I would have gladly paid double.

CreepyD

I've spent 100's of hours playing this game, it's worth every penny :)

Bruvvy

The price is okay, but I can see where you are coming from. As the economies in other countries vary,