Fernbhoy

The game hasn't changed much in a year?

Do yourself a favour, don't play Dwarf Fortress :D

Oga88

Quote from: Fernbhoy on September 27, 2015, 07:19:52 AM
The game hasn't changed much in a year?

Do yourself a favour, don't play Dwarf Fortress :D

never did...

I hasn't, did it? What has been added, that changes the game so much that you should have waited for it years?

blaze7736

okay so this is why it cost so much - Tyann has to live and not have a second job or do freelance work he also has to buy assets and stuff now yes there are big gaps between alphas but they could be much bigger if he had to manage a side job and no team. now in comparison other game company's are bigger and factor in ways to make money other ways. Also on the surface rim world appears to be a simple game like realy how hard could it be but underneath there is a lot of work gone into making every thing the best it can be, each alpha more nice systems are implemented. Now another reason Tyann can make it $30 is its not just about playing the game if you wanted a full game buy it at the end or in beta, but in alpha you are in for the development and to watch it grow that is why i think $30 is fine. Also 500+ hours are you not happy like most major game company s only factor in 80 hours of game play.

Oga88

Quote from: blaze7736 on September 27, 2015, 07:24:18 AM
okay so this is why it cost so much - Tyann has to live and not have a second job or do freelance work he also has to buy assets and stuff now yes there are big gaps between alphas but they could be much bigger if he had to manage a side job and no team. now in comparison other game company's are bigger and factor in ways to make money other ways. Also on the surface rim world appears to be a simple game like realy how hard could it be but underneath there is a lot of work gone into making every thing the best it can be, each alpha more nice systems are implemented. Now another reason Tyann can make it $30 is its not just about playing the game if you wanted a full game buy it at the end or in beta, but in alpha you are in for the development and to watch it grow that is why i think $30 is fine. Also 500+ hours are you not happy like most major game company s only factor in 80 hours of game play.

We will see where it goes. 500+ is only because of different mods. If it wasn't for them I would play something else. The worst thing to hear is that "Tyann has to live and not have a second job or do freelance work". It doesn't matter that is just bla bla bla. If he sold at least if he at least sold 100 000 copies that is 3 000 000 $ . Look I'm glad that I got my hands on this game but and thank you for your answer. You are right we will see what this game lives to be.

blaze7736

also it is thanks to tyann for making the game so modable

Fernbhoy

Can't be that glad since you said if you had a choice you'd get a refund and pirate the game :D

Back to the original comment, you compared this to Cities Skylines. Cities Skylines has the backing of Paradox for starters, and has been in "development" since 2009. The base work of it began with Cities in Motion, more added in Cities in Motion 2 and Cities Skylines is basicly 80% of the coding developed by a dev team for over 6 years, with funding from 1 games that have both been #1 on the steam rankings and are still selling.

Not to count the added income and development from DLC's for both games, and even Cities Skylines was released unfinished, only difference is Ty is isn't charging us extra for a day and night cycle and some roads that were added by "MODDERS" for free before hand ;) (i'm not hitting on Colossal Order btw, even as i type i'm playing C:SL :D )

Coenmcj

Alot of those titles are sold in stores and online retailers however, which judging by steam's current policy to increase prices by 10% for all Aussies (our current economy has gone downhill), means that It's likely to be sold at varying prices in varying countries for similar reasons, I'd imagine those in Greece share a similar fate.

Rimworld however, is sold directly by the developer and doesn't take into account different cultures or their current economical situations like the aforementioned Steam policy, It's just one big, all rounded price tag.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Mrshilka

Complains about spending 30 bucks for 500+ hours of entertainment.

Says he wishes he had pirated it instead.

Troll or stupid imo.

rexx1888

Its expensive because Tynan believes thats what its worth. I agreed, and so i spent thirty dollars. You apparently agreed, and spent 30$. Thats it, thats what makes it worth 30 dollars. If you dont think its worth 30 dollars for 400+ hours of content then A) yer daft and B) tough titties, you already paid an said "yeah, thats worth it" an in future you should do yer research. games are worth what we pay for them. If we want them, and the developer charges more, and we still feel ok buying it, then thats what its worth. Welcome to capitalism. Its also the same place where bread can sell on ebay for 100's of dollars and shitty mechanics can charge you more for something better mechanics would charge you less for. Its really that simple.

however, i would point out that since you did actually get 100's of hours of value, thats like 4 cents an hour or something ridiculous, so dont expect anyone to think you were hard done by :\

milon

Everyone, let's please keep this civil.  I really hate warning and banning.  Please consider this a friendly reminder of rules #2 (no sustained hostility or anger venting), #3 (do not escalate), and #6 (no piracy & no discussions of game piracy).

It's a fair question OP is asking - in his country and in his experience, games cost much less.  Coming from that perspective, it's fair that he's surprised by this.  The short answer is that in Tynan's country & similar countries (Canada, USA, UK) this is actually a very inexpensive price, especially for the time and enjoyment you get from it.

It's one thing to have buyer's regret, but it's another to complain about it many months/years later after having already gotten hundreds of hours of enjoyment from it.  I also bought the game for $30 USD back in Alpha 3, and I don't regret a single penny of it.  (If you're bored or dissatisfied with the game, you should either give it a break or else check out the mods section - there's some fantastic stuff in there!)

magicbush

I have to agree with the OP, while I have liked the game it is to expensive in all honesty when comparing it to similar projects(other indie games average $10-$20). Also to the post above me I live in the USA :P.

LaMizzy

Quote from: Oga88 on September 27, 2015, 04:46:16 AM
Rimworld is too expensive, I bought it cause I can and willing to but 30$ that is too much. I'm from Russia and the game costs 30$ that's 1950 RUB, and when I see a game like Cities Skyline cost 499 RUB that is 7,68$ I have to ask myself why is that? Clearly there is way more man hours in Cities. And on different forums I see a lot of people that just get a pirate copy, so isn't better to just adjust the price a bit so more people would be able to the a good game. And if Cities is a bad example for you, then look at games like Elite: Dangerous 2249 RUB, H1Z1 899 RUB, Rainbow Six Siege 1999 RUB. I love Rimworld but those games that I mentioned are in a different league (not saying that RW is bad, it's just other games are way way more detailed.) And I would love to know why is it so expensive? I don't thank that Rimworld will ever be a AAA game, but it is a good game right now. Just my thoughts.

P.S. sorry for grammar mistakes english is not my native language.

This question is asked from a pure consumer perspective, and the first thing I want to point out is this is an Alpha software. Hence, is not meant for pure consumer purchase...and of course not stopping end consumers to buy it early.
It is very common that Alpha software pricing is meant for donation...and the pricing of the game will change as it reaches Beta then Final Release.
Yes, as per your comment...this size of game usually will worth about $5 at most, but that is for Final Releases. Who knows, the pricing point might drop down to that then...as pricing are a whole new department that Tynan don't have time to look at.
Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done besides leaving your opinion here for record purpose. So when it's time for Tynan to do all the marketing and product delivery, he got information to refer to.
It's sad to see buyer's remorse already, given it is only an Alpha pricing, which is a donation support pricing.

Don't think I gave you a direct answer, but hopefully this makes sense to you.

pktongrimworld

the problem here is the value of the rube to everything else.

you got Putin to blame for that.

the exchange rate is horrible for Russians buying anything outside of Russia that isn't regional priced.

Just be glad you can pay 8 dollars for city skyline.

I have to pay around 40 cause I am in Canada

be glad steam devs sells game to you for nothing lol.

LouisTBR

QuoteAre you serious, I'm as a consumer don't care if he does it himself alone and works 25 hours a day, or a group of 100+ people do the game. All that you want to see is the final game work flawless and that drags you in. Or not? Maybe you want to pay 30 bucks and just wait and wait and wait. And then just say that he is working alone and all that stuff. Maybe you bought this game for that? Just tell me do you think that the difficulty of making Rimworld is in any comparison to Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® Siege?

I buy alpha games for the joy they bring, and the fact of knowing that they will not be finished any time soon, and for the fact that the developers are a credit to the gaming world. I would rather see Tynan doing a good job for a high price, rather than a crap job for little income. Wouldn't you?
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"