Stealth Mechanics

Started by inteuniso, September 27, 2015, 09:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inteuniso

Are stealth mechanics possible to be added in? How does vision interaction work?

Thanks

NuclearStudent

Our lord and chief developer Tynan said that he can't add stealth mechanics in, not because  it would be impossible, but because he built and balanced the entire game around the notion that players would be able to see everything.

Whether a modder could do it is a different question, and one I would also like to see answered. I could see an attack by a single stealth predator being terrifyingly awesome.

Toragor

Could possibly be done by fog of war and viewing cones. Also adding cameras and motion sensors for additional "viewing cones".

Wex

One way to implement "stealth" would be having some visitors, and they start stealing. If you don't watch them, they go merrily away. If you watch them, you could arrest them for no penalty.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

LouisTBR

This seems kinda pointless. I mean, not only would you need to include a complicated stealth mechanic, but also include fog of war which would play havoc as we have no way to keep colonists in once place continuously.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Toggle

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on October 06, 2015, 12:20:49 PM
This seems kinda pointless. I mean, not only would you need to include a complicated stealth mechanic, but also include fog of war which would play havoc as we have no way to keep colonists in once place continuously.

Well... uh... that's kind of what lamps would be for... I think Darkness implements it the best it could be.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

LouisTBR

Do you actually understand what FOW is?
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Toggle

Yeah. And GENERALLY in games, buildings you make, not only troops, will clear fog of war in the area, sometimes things specifically for FOW. I doubt that only colonists would clear FOW around them, as you start with 3, and small colonies would be harassed by it. It would be impossible to play even...

A Friend

I'm still waiting for a DF style ambush events...
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

BetaSpectre

Its alot to add, and it'd receive mixed reception. I personally would turn this off, or put the game down for others out there.

Fog of war is find for some strategy games like starcraft where you need two resources, instead of needing relics to make each unit, making 1000 units in Starcraft is like making 2 here in Rimworld. Each rimworlder is like a hero unit in those top down strategy games.

Also buildings? We have structures everywhere if they could negate fog of war then there is no fog of war. So the idea becomes annoying either way.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

JimmyAgnt007

I think the quick and easy way of doing this is either...

If you dont have the visitors on screen then they can do sneaky things.

OR

They dont actually spawn until they are noticed.  ie, the event fires and randomly one of your colonists or animals 'detects' them.  thats when they spawn and make a dash for whatever they are there for or flee.

either way the game should have children for this alone so they have something to steal. 

both methods would eliminate the need for complex FOW and FOV mechanics.  that being said, Prison Architect does a really good job of this, cameras and all. 

REMworlder

I think traditional stealth is a bit too weird, whether it's simple invisibility or dynamic FOW.

Maybe one approach would be a sort of cloak mechanism, where a visiting unit who shows up at Redfields from Friendly Village suddenly takes off a mask and he's actually a super raider or something.

Zeta Omega

Quote from: inteuniso on September 27, 2015, 09:51:11 PM
Are stealth mechanics possible to be added in? How does vision interaction work?

Thanks
Im not sure if the creators are thinking about stealth mechanics... but maybe a mechanoid with a cloak generator that gives it a higher dodge chance and critical chance when it attacks!... I should add that to a poll...

rakkaus

A fog of war + field of view option would be interesting. Having to explore the terrain, having less visibility at night or at foggy days, having to set some colonists to guard the colony or scout raiders would be very cool.

Toggle

Quote from: rakkaus on October 15, 2015, 06:14:24 AM
A fog of war + field of view option would be interesting. Having to explore the terrain, having less visibility at night or at foggy days, having to set some colonists to guard the colony or scout raiders would be very cool.

The problem is you'd be screwed at the start, since you would not have 1 of your 3 or 4 colonists capable of guarding the gate 24/7, not to mention the events would have to be hidden and changed to go with it all.