Stealth Mechanics

Started by inteuniso, September 27, 2015, 09:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vagabond

Hello,

I think stealth would be interesting. I also like the idea of FoW, but I think there should be two types for the casual player and hardcore one.

General:
-NPCs work under the same constraints; based on physiology non humans may have different viewing angles and hearing radius. You choose whether they work on a "casual" or "hardcore" setting.
-Nights are actually dark and reduce a pawn's LoS. Lights are important.
-Colonist will go into the FoW to complete tasks automatically.
-Cameras can be researched and made to keep an area uncovered
-Characters can "hear" things around them that they don't have LoS on. This is based on difficulty setting (casual/hardcore) as well as your hearing attribute.
-Scanners of various sorts can be researched to uncover areas or detect things in them at certain ranges.
-New movement mode called "Strafe". When you have a pawn selected and right click, you can choose "Strafe Here" ranther than "Go Here", after which your cursor will change to a crosshair and you can select a tile, or enemy to keep your LoS on. You will continue to fire while moving (with penalty) if an enemy is selected as your target with a to-hit penalty.
-New movement mode called "Sneak". When you have a pawn selected and right click a tile, you can choose to "Sneak Here" rather than "Go Here". This reduces noise generated and allows for the set up of ambushes- enemies that are ambushed are instantly suppressed and the first attack made against them is at a better hit chance.

Casual FoW:
-The map starts discovered with a "light" fog that returns after colonist leave the area, allowing you to see terrain features below it.
-Claimed/built structures provide LoS
-Pawns have a shorter 360 degree view angle, and a 180 degree forward viewing angle that extends as far as the terrain allows.
-Events in the FoW are reported to players via the message system still (though going to location through the prompt won't reveal the area, just the location).

Hardcore FoW:
-The map starts black (undiscovered), but as explored it is replaced with a "light" fog when colonists aren't present so you can still see the terrain features below it.
-Claimed/built structures do -not- provide LoS.
-Pawns have a 180 degree forward viewing angle that extends as far as the terrain allows.
-Events occurring in the FoW aren't reported to players.

This is all I can think of atm regarding the issue... Though I'm sure something else will pop into mind.

Cheers,
Michael

Toggle

Interesting Micheal/Vagabond, but there's still the fact it wouldn't work well into the already base game as it's all built against stealth, not for it, and Tynan isn't changing it.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

rakkaus

Very good points. Game would had to change a bit to evolve into this direction, but the hardest part is already done, everything from now on is relatively easy from a developer point of view. If Tynan don't want to evolve into any "radical" direction then maybe he should make the whole game open source upon final release, because people here have so many different dreams about what this game can transform itself into, that they should be given the chance to do it; or just take advantage of the advanced state of the coding and create expansions (by a designated team, while he works upon another title or whatsoever).

Limdood

The MOST i'd be interested in this concept is maybe a hidden map at the start that you have to explore....

but no FOW, no FOV, no stealth.