New Factions

Started by xrumblingcdsx, September 28, 2015, 03:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xrumblingcdsx

The pawns descriptions hint at worlds at all stages of development, yet we seem to always crash on a rimworld with a few tribals, some pirates, and some weird townies.

I think there should be a medieval faction, a glitterworld outpost faction, and possibly a faction utilizing today's tech.

The medieval faction:
I think it should be random in its stance to players. They should have plate armor and chainmail. They should wield longswords, maces, longbows, and crossbows.

The Glitterworld Faction:
These guys should start off neutral and should never offer you help. Instead they are here to make sure no one gets too powerful to challenge the inner rim and to fight the mechanoids. They should have all the superior tech. And plasma flame throwers. ;D

BetaSpectre

Each faction being more sectional and specific like a culture in age of empires. It'd be interesting.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Toragor

As far as I understood from the Fiction primer https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub Glitterworlds would not exist on the rim worlds (far end of the spiral star system - where we are ingame).
"Towards the galactic core, stars are closer together and travel is easier. These systems tend to be better-developed socially and technologically because they can communicate and enrich each other through trade. Away from the galactic core are the rim worlds, which float distant from each other. Their isolation makes them poor and socially unstable. ..."

But you could definitely find a medieval civilization, this I would dig.

xrumblingcdsx

An outpost from a glitterworld could exist on a rimworld. The lore doesn't rule it out.

They could be there for numerous reasons: to supress the threat of mechanoids, limit pirates, protect trade, suppress the rimworld residents like in firefly, or as a comms relay.

I think it would be cool to have a tougher enemy right now the games too easy. Glitterworld soldiers should easily destroy my colony  ;D

zecorezecron

Glitterworld mercenaries.  That is all.

cultist

I kind of see a problem with a medieval faction... I can't really imagine a medieval society sharing the rather smallish rimworld planets with a bunch of tribals. They'd have integrated or annihilated them long ago, just like medieval (and 15th century, and 19th century) Europeans did to any tribal culture they came across.

xrumblingcdsx

Yes, but you forget that Medieval Europe and the Americas existed at the same time for hundreds of years. Would it be a perfect balance? No. One could possibly be wiping the other out over a slow methodical process and technology may be exchanged. But because medieval society was based on subsistence farming as opposed to hunting/gathering it would be possible for both to coexist in a world. Some tribals persist in today's world even if largely in isolation or living in less than desireable locals.

Shadou

The presence of a glitterworld faction on the world implies that there's a working spaceport somewhere.

Ok, so why am I working my (censored) off trying to survive on this godforsaken mudball, when I could be making my way to the glitterworld base and hitching a ride off this rock? Forget building a base. Time to travel. We can eat off the land as we journey there. If we collect a few resources on the way and spend a few hours a night tinkering, we could probably get a radio working to see about getting someone to meet us halfway. Or even just coming to pick us up. We're not here because we want to be, after all.

Loki88

Quote from: Shadou on October 10, 2015, 01:42:08 AM
The presence of a glitterworld faction on the world implies that there's a working spaceport somewhere.

Ok, so why am I working my (censored) off trying to survive on this godforsaken mudball, when I could be making my way to the glitterworld base and hitching a ride off this rock? Forget building a base. Time to travel. We can eat off the land as we journey there. If we collect a few resources on the way and spend a few hours a night tinkering, we could probably get a radio working to see about getting someone to meet us halfway. Or even just coming to pick us up. We're not here because we want to be, after all.

I understand that logic very well... But this is RimWorld!!! I can't help but to think that story line would wind up being along the lines of " Wow, we finally got this radio working and they told us they'd come pick us up right away! Wait... why do our rescuers have so many guns?... Wtf is with that cage over there?!"

*Entire party gets sold in to slavery by pirates...*

I agree though having a glitterworld faction on the planet kinda takes away from the lore of "being stranded on a distant RimWorld"

A Friend

I'll see if I can use my BS-ing skills...

Glitterworld Expedition Team

A camp of heavily armed soldiers and scientists.

Far from the safety of the core worlds, these people seems to be fairly new to the rim. What reasons they have for traveling this far is unknown. Whether it be surveying local Transcendent worlds, gathering information for the Ordo Historium or plain collection of ancient relics, their presence here sparks curiosity and unwanted attention.

They are very distrustful of the local populace and will rarely trade. But they seem to easily accept offers of relics and other rare items.

Glitterworlds being devoid of war and conflicts, these people have little to no combat experience. But make no mistake, the level of technology they have far outclasses those of their neighbors'. Sporting combat mechanoids, an arsenal of charge weapons and impenetrable power armors. These people are not ones you would want to anger.

Faction trait: Quality over quantity, an opposite of the tribal faction.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Limdood

related, but not the same topic:

I'd love to see 1 or two tribals each raid be carrying something like an assault rifle or PDW or something.  Just a "look what we took off the pirate bodies when we raided them last month!"

As an extra plus, make them use it BADLY.  personal shield on a bow wielder, give the guns only to 0-skill trigger happy tribals (they'd WANT to use it, they'd LOVE using it, but they wouldn't be ANY GOOD at using it).  It'd add a nice bit of comedy, realism, and a touch of added danger to a tribal raid.  That heavy SMG wielding 0-skill trigger happy savage might not have a great chance to hit you, but he shoots FAST and he's spraying an AWFUL lot of bullets around.