More foragables

Started by Boston, September 28, 2015, 04:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boston

So, as anyone in real life will tell you, nature has a lot of food to offer. You just have to know where to look.

Maybe plants could be found "growing wild", like wild patches of Xerigium, or wild rice growing inside marshes/alongside ponds, or cattail growing in the same places. Or, already-existing plants could offer other "uses". For example, in the fall, Oak trees drop acorns when cut down, birch trees could be tapped for sap for turning into syrup (a food that boosts Joy when eaten), etc.

Right now, "nature" feels empty asides from the animals. These could fill that gap.

MisterVertigo

Excellent idea. I don't even have anything to add! :)
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

MultiDavid

Loki88

I love this idea! Maybe the ability to harvest the wild edibles could be hidden behind some cheap research? It's not like every derp that crashes on a remote planet is going to know what out of the native flora is edible and what's poisonous.

BetaSpectre

Maybe we could require seeds to grow food. Instead of just being able to do so from scratch. This way famines could be much more rare, but still food won't be too abundant.

With more food maybe different nutrients would be involved as well to keep a healthy and balanced diet.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Regret

Quote from: Boston on September 28, 2015, 04:46:22 PM
So, as anyone in real life will tell you, nature has a lot of food to offer. You just have to know where to look.

Maybe plants could be found "growing wild", like wild patches of Xerigium, or wild rice growing inside marshes/alongside ponds, or cattail growing in the same places. Or, already-existing plants could offer other "uses". For example, in the fall, Oak trees drop acorns when cut down, birch trees could be tapped for sap for turning into syrup (a food that boosts Joy when eaten), etc.

Right now, "nature" feels empty asides from the animals. These could fill that gap.
Great idea!
Anything that increases a natural feel and ecological interactions gets a +1 from me.

cultist

Quote from: BetaSpectre on September 29, 2015, 03:46:25 AM
Maybe we could require seeds to grow food. Instead of just being able to do so from scratch. This way famines could be much more rare, but still food won't be too abundant.

With more food maybe different nutrients would be involved as well to keep a healthy and balanced diet.
I like this idea. Having all growing options always available means you can always grow whatever is best for the terrain. Having to buy seeds would mean more challenge and more things to work towards.