How much power does your colony use?

Started by Florius, September 13, 2015, 11:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loki88

Quote from: Too-DAMN-Much on September 16, 2015, 06:08:09 PM
Quote from: Loki88 on September 16, 2015, 01:33:23 PM
Quote from: Too-DAMN-Much on September 14, 2015, 03:09:54 AM
18 solar, 4 geothermal usually, no random events knockout power, almost nothing does besides lucky raids and i have too many turrets for them to get close.
my battery room has 24 batteries, that's actually pretty small for my battery rooms honestly.

sometimes i put up 3-4 windmills too, but i play mostly biomes where the grass regrows faster than a colonist can cut a wide designation of plants so not always on the windmills.

[edit] checked last colony, edited accuracy. [/edit]

why not just build your solar panels in the "wind collection area" of the turbines? the solars don't block the turbines. Neither does slag or rock chunks if you make a dumping stockpile and keep it full.

grass, it grows back faster than i can cut it in the biomes i usually play.
also solar power fluctuates, it's less reliable in general, so the less i have to rely on it the better.

Sorry I was more meaning to use both solar and wind in conjunction. Build the solar in the area you need to keep clear for the turbines. The solar stops anything from growing and blocking the wind turbines while the solars themselves don't block the turbines. Or there's always paving the area but the gets expensive.

DaemonDeathAngel

Or simply use the bricks you're making at your work bench to pave the ground

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: Loki88 on September 16, 2015, 08:13:18 PMSorry I was more meaning to use both solar and wind in conjunction. Build the solar in the area you need to keep clear for the turbines. The solar stops anything from growing and blocking the wind turbines while the solars themselves don't block the turbines. Or there's always paving the area but the gets expensive.

oh, i completely misunderstood, that frankly seems quite broken.
if rimworld solar panels are just like RL ones then they should be a floor/wall, not a freestanding fixture, that's all.

[edit] reason too many nested quotes, getting messy [/edit]

TLHeart

But solar panels in the real world can be free standing. Many even track the path of the sun across the sky.

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: TLHeart on September 17, 2015, 12:07:08 AM
But solar panels in the real world can be free standing. Many even track the path of the sun across the sky.

the way solar panels in rimworld currently work, i feel it is safe to say this is irrelevant to them.
they're omni-directional, not realistic, that's all.

TheGrover

I didn't know grass affected wind power.

I think he meant that the open space in front and behind the turbines might as well be filled with solar generators since they don't affect wind power.

milon

Grass doesn't affect wind power, unless I'm mistaken.  What does affect wind power is the taller plants, like trees for example.

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: Too-DAMN-Much on September 16, 2015, 06:08:09 PM
grass, it grows back faster than i can cut it in the biomes i usually play.
also solar power fluctuates, it's less reliable in general, so the less i have to rely on it the better.

yes, but then we're back to this. :)

windmills is easily the absolute last i would rely on in rimworld.

i should say though, i play with mods that allow creation of geothermal vents, so i play quite luxuriously, anything other than geothermal being the backbone seems unsafe in comparison.

i also seem to recall cacti and trees grow randomly, so that may have been what i was noticing shutting the windmills off.

Mmgfrcs

Well I have the following set up:
14 Solar Panels and 4 Geothermals were connected to a 'central power district' with 16 batteries (separate building). 6 batteries were placed inside the colonist's house and another power house with 3 batteries and a windmill (and a power switch, all that have batteries have a power switch)

The idea is that I used power from the central district to power sun lamps and anything heavy in power usage, and use home batteries along with the battery-windmill powerhouse (rarely) to power smaller things like heaters and smithing tables.

During the night, with the power cutoff in sun lamps and anything heavy (cook tables, for example), the geothermals would recharge the home batteries

During an eclipse, the windmill batteries were used to power the sun lamps and power-intensive tables instead since eclipse usually lasted for a day (someone has more?)

If, for random, a power conduit exploded, the central power district will power everything (which will cause a 1-day blackout during the night since it needed to recharge the batteries first)

In total I used 14300W, needing approx. 100kWd if running on pure batteries
Anyone has comments?

BetaSpectre

15-20K power, I generally at the end game rely on ship generators because I can place them in mountains.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO