Where's Ultimate Overhaul Modpack?

Started by LegendZero88, September 30, 2015, 03:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LegendZero88

Hi mates for today the topic of overhaol modpack is disappeared, someone know something?

Thanks

skullywag

Speculatiom right now is ninefingers killed it due to not wanting to put donation links for modders on his website as per:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/3mxt5z/ultimate_overhaul_modpack_gone/

But who knows. Hes even removed the github which flies in the face of the whole "for the community" thing he had going. Again all speculation currently.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

NightlinerSGS

I actually registered to ask the same question. After a quick search I found a reddit thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/3mxt5z/ultimate_overhaul_modpack_gone/), which linked to the changelog (which is marked for deletion): https://docs.google.com/document/d/16TBzSY1ckkisnMI06Xb98Ndv8hya6HSk_mmw3xEn8uU/

QuotePersonal Message from ItchyFlea after telling him I would be making a separate page on my website for individual mod author support when I get a chance. I am afraid I want nothing further to do with Itchy at this point or anyone else with this attitude.

"It's been two weeks and no sign of the donation buttons being added to the website. Please remove my mods from your modpack until you add the donation buttons to the website."

The changelog also shows that he did indeed update the version and removed Itchys mods, but with the site, thread and Git down I don't know where to find them.

Edit: I see this a bit differently than scullywag. It looks like ninefinger wanted to put up the donation page for individual mod authors. It just didn't go fast enough for Itchy. Ninefinger then removed Itchys mods at his request. What happened afterwards we don't know :s

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: NightlinerSGS on September 30, 2015, 04:03:08 AM
Edit: I see this a bit differently than scullywag. It looks like ninefinger wanted to put up the donation page for individual mod authors. It just didn't go fast enough for Itchy. Ninefinger then removed Itchys mods at his request. What happened afterwards we don't know :s

Apparently Itchy asked him two weeks ago and Nine didn't put up the separate page he promised. I'd say its only fair if Itchy asked for his mods to be pulled at that point. Also after talking to Itchy it seems he was as surprised to see the thread gone as everyone else, so it looks like Nine decided to delete it on his own.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Goo Poni

This is why you just don't involve monetary gain of any sort in modding. It makes things so messy so very quickly.

Pirate

Quote from: Goo Poni on September 30, 2015, 04:26:46 AM
This is why you just don't involve money in anything important. It makes things so messy so very quickly.

FTFY

skullywag

which is what the whole modding community on slack told him...

NightlinerSGS

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on September 30, 2015, 04:20:33 AM

Apparently Itchy asked him two weeks ago and Nine didn't put up the separate page he promised. I'd say its only fair if Itchy asked for his mods to be pulled at that point. Also after talking to Itchy it seems he was as surprised to see the thread gone as everyone else, so it looks like Nine decided to delete it on his own.

Ok, I don't know anything that's going on besides what he wrote in the changelog, which suggests that Nine was the one who had the idea. If you know more and can talk with Itchy directly, that's good. Maybe we can find out what happened, and maybe somebody will be able to keep the modpack alive.

I just think it's sad because I literally discovered Rimworld 4 days ago, and the modpack yesterday. I'm having a lot of fun with it and it's sad that it seems to be gone right after I started playing with it. Guess I'll stick to this version for a while...

Then again, I've seen the same thing happening to thousands of mods in the last ~14 years. It's always the same thing, once you involve money in modding, things collapse in 95% of all cases, unless it's a closed developer team or they have a really good plan.

BigNose

I also discovered this modpack about dozen days ago and played this s**t out of it, just to find out about this... Really a shame, I really like your work Ninefingers, you may not be the one actually making the mods, but you did a damn well job of making them work together, balancing and overall maintaining the modpack. With the extremly frequent updates and all the community feedback I can only imagine the amount of time that went into this, and completly stopping support/updates would be completly understandable. If you get no personal enjoyment out of this any more, I would be the first to recommend taking a break.

But why did you have to completly remove it? Simply leaving everything as is now (which is quite a good condition) and handing the responsibility for the GitHub, website, etc. over to someone else in the community was not enough?

I don't know what really happend to take you this far, but at the moment it seems like a massive overreaction. Please, at least let your fans know why it wasn't possible to leave the modpack alive. :(

Gralad

crap, i forgot to download the latest builds and the last one i grabbed is from the 20th anyone can upload the latest one and post the link?

yeye i dont give a flying turd if modders are upset me using it. its a easy way for me to enjoy modded rimworld without much hassle.

LegendZero88

It was a great assets for this game. i hope i will re-enable his work without money involved.

This is what we can hope for.

skullywag

The modders wouldnt be upset in you using a modpack, why would we, the issue is ninefingers has removed it we havent done anything.

letharion

Bah, can anyone tell me where I can find a recent version? I only have a really old one locally. :(

skullywag

ok due to the fact that I know how github works and i knew id seen a fork made, the modpack is still available in quite an up to date form:

https://github.com/ilyail3/Ultimate-Overhaul-Modpack

Mrshilka

All Nine got was crap from people for doing the mod pack, all that work he did people complaining and moaned about everything.
The work required to balance what 60+ mods so they work together with some semblance of balance and with an overarching theme and curve was insane yet so many vocal people here poo poo's it because they are "creators" and all Nine did was "throw" the mods together.

Especially from a few select people here.
Now a few second class efforts are all that remain and they will be dancing about it being some of the most active haters.