Where's Ultimate Overhaul Modpack?

Started by LegendZero88, September 30, 2015, 03:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Owlchemist on September 30, 2015, 07:42:23 PM
I want to play Rimworld, but honestly I'm kinda clueless on how to without this mod. Vanilla is just too lacking in content and depth after having experienced a modpack, to go back. There's the hardcore SK pack, but I had a number of deal breaker issues with it.

Which just leaves the last option of having dozens of stand-alone mods. But I can't really imagine this working well. They need to balanced towards one another, and coordinate with one another as far as progression goes, especially if they share common, modded resources. A modpack seems mandatory for a big modding scene to thrive, and if I'm wrong about that, then by all means let me know how you guys do it.

I'm afraid Nine was only paying attention to the negativity. From what I recall, there were compliments all around in that thread. It's not like it was totally unappreciated. As the saying goes, the squeaky wheel is the loudest :\

The problem with Ninefinger was a general lack of maturity in his interactions with other community members. Every time an issue came up his response lead to lots of drama. While I can certainly see the value his work provided to those people unable or unwilling to create their own mod selection he ultimately ended up causing more trouble than he's worth. Right now it looks like TheGentleman is taking over Nine's modpack so hopefully we can have the best of both worlds, a balanced modpack for people to play, maintained by someone who is able to solve interpersonal issues in a civil manner.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

ItchyFlea

In case people were wondering what my involvement was, and haven't seen the reddit thread, here's what I had to say: https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/3mxt5z/ultimate_overhaul_modpack_gone/cvj7jbu
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

letharion

Quote from: skullywag on September 30, 2015, 09:34:48 AM
ok due to the fact that I know how github works and i knew id seen a fork made, the modpack is still available in quite an up to date form:

https://github.com/ilyail3/Ultimate-Overhaul-Modpack
Cheers mate! You don't happen to have a config file as well? I know I could try to turn the mods on manually, but I guess there's a big risk I cause issues if I don't get them enabled in the right order.

Natas_Enasni

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on September 30, 2015, 07:52:05 PM
The problem with Ninefinger was a general lack of maturity in his interactions with other community members. Every time an issue came up his response lead to lots of drama. While I can certainly see the value his work provided to those people unable or unwilling to create their own mod selection he ultimately ended up causing more trouble than he's worth. Right now it looks like TheGentleman is taking over Nine's modpack so hopefully we can have the best of both worlds, a balanced modpack for people to play, maintained by someone who is able to solve interpersonal issues in a civil manner.

More trouble than he's worth?  I guess you can speak for yourself, but it's not like I was donating to anybody anyway; putting all these mods together manually is much more trouble than all this drama is worth.  Thanks guys, you really helped the community by creating these mods (with no expectation of payment right?  Just for love of the game right?) and then denying the best method to use them. 

ORC_Gaming

Quote from: Natas_Enasni on October 01, 2015, 02:53:11 AM
More trouble than he's worth?  I guess you can speak for yourself, but it's not like I was donating to anybody anyway; putting all these mods together manually is much more trouble than all this drama is worth.  Thanks guys, you really helped the community by creating these mods (with no expectation of payment right?  Just for love of the game right?) and then denying the best method to use them.

They didn't tell him to remove the mod pack. they asked for one mod removed and then the entire thing vanished. you can't blame them.

Parmenides

Would like to get hands on the config files as well. Would be great if someone has them

skullywag

Quote from: ORC_Gaming on October 01, 2015, 03:37:43 AM

They didn't tell him to remove the mod pack. they asked for one mod removed and then the entire thing vanished. you can't blame them.

Technically one of us asked if we could have a donation link as well to support the mods artist. He refused removed the mod then ragequit. So whos to blame again....
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

ORC_Gaming

Quote from: skullywag on October 01, 2015, 03:40:24 AM
Quote from: ORC_Gaming on October 01, 2015, 03:37:43 AM

Technically one of us asked if we could have a donation link as well to support the mods artist. He refused removed the mod then ragequit. So whos to blame again....

Oops I missed out the donation thing. My bad, I thought I had added it. thanks for correcting me

skullywag

No worries ORC. Just want people to have all the facts straight before they draw any conclusions about a very nice, awesome and helpful group of people....(too much? Lol)

silenced

I don't know how Ninefingers day looks like, but I'm sure it's not 75% modding or changing a website to add a button.

Sometimes the discussions were a bit rough, and who knows what kind of PMs were involved aswell.

"I expected that to take a day or two." <- What someone expects and how long it finally takes, well, it's two different things.

Both sides, Ninefingers and all the modders involved, have to take it as their responsibility. As if anyone would check for the correct donation button. How high is the chance? Will these 5 or 10 bucks make a difference? A site full with donation buttons has only one effect: Get me the hell out of here! Think as the user, not as the content creator and you will know what you really want. How about one button? And split it for everyone in even manners.

But well, it's too late anyways. Let's bury it and go on with other things.

... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ...

ORC_Gaming

Quote from: skullywag on October 01, 2015, 03:56:56 AM
No worries ORC. Just want people to have all the facts straight before they draw any conclusions about a very nice, awesome and helpful group of people....(too much? Lol)

Well Pretty accurate really.

Quote from: silenced on October 01, 2015, 04:57:12 AM
I don't know how Ninefingers day looks like, but I'm sure it's not 75% modding or changing a website to add a button.

Sometimes the discussions were a bit rough, and who knows what kind of PMs were involved aswell.

"I expected that to take a day or two." <- What someone expects and how long it finally takes, well, it's two different things.

Both sides, Ninefingers and all the modders involved, have to take it as their responsibility. As if anyone would check for the correct donation button. How high is the chance? Will these 5 or 10 bucks make a difference? A site full with donation buttons has only one effect: Get me the hell out of here! Think as the user, not as the content creator and you will know what you really want. How about one button? And split it for everyone in even manners.

Good Idea, we should still remember it though. But the split for everyone part will get a bit too... what's the word? complicated...

skullywag

Quote from: silenced on October 01, 2015, 04:57:12 AM

I agree with your points about expectations but the main thing to remember here is itchy has a license, that license was not followed, itchy gave him 2 weeks to sort it out, in that time the mod was still being distributed against that license. Itchy was well within his rights to ask for removal, which he could of done on day one. Why that caused NF to break can only be explained by NF.  He did remove the mods before deleting everything and you wouldnt bother to do that if you were just gonna delete it all anyway...

TLHeart

Know chain of events,

Bad will created by first fracus over donations.

Itchy asks for his donation link be put on the UOM page, and Nine agrees to go it when he can get to it...

2 weeks pass, no donation links added, so Itchy asks that either the donation links be added now, or his mods be removed from the pack...

Nine removes the mods,

Then makes public the Private messages,

Nine even stated he would rather update the mods than work on the web page, and states it will take some time for him to figure out how to add the links.

Itchy offers to hep Nine add the donation links..

Nine takes offense and rage quits.

NuclearStudent

Quote from: Owlchemist on September 30, 2015, 07:42:23 PM
I want to play Rimworld, but honestly I'm kinda clueless on how to without this mod. Vanilla is just too lacking in content and depth after having experienced a modpack, to go back. There's the hardcore SK pack, but I had a number of deal breaker issues with it.

Which just leaves the last option of having dozens of stand-alone mods. But I can't really imagine this working well. They need to balanced towards one another, and coordinate with one another as far as progression goes, especially if they share common, modded resources. A modpack seems mandatory for a big modding scene to thrive, and if I'm wrong about that, then by all means let me know how you guys do it.

I'm afraid Nine was only paying attention to the negativity. From what I recall, there were compliments all around in that thread. It's not like it was totally unappreciated. As the saying goes, the squeaky wheel is the loudest :\

God bless TheGent though, because he's planning to keep UOP going. He's going to spend an estimated two months getting permissions for what he can and working around mods he can't get permissions for. You can hold on to your outdated version until then.

Because Tynan's taking a sabbatical break, the time when TheGent releases a functional modpack would theoretically line up with the next updates to rimworld.

Asero

I believe the modpack has spoiled me a little as well. Personally I would rather root for mod-manager[software] giving me individual control over the mods I want installed, than being forced to put up with an unmanageable modpack file.

In the good old days of Rimworld :D we had to download and configure each mod individually. Which in my opinion may not be such a bad thing to begin with. As great as Ninefingers modpack was, it took away to some degree what mods I wanted in my game and not, and did have some balancing and configuration issues that were slow to be addressed. Not to mention that some of the mods were sliced and diced from the original, which always bothered somewhat.