Room furniture? Any tips to improve quality?

Started by Demoulius, October 06, 2015, 11:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demoulius

Hey all,

I havent played in a while and came back to this awesome game to check whats new. So far im having some difficulties with my colony planning.

One of the biggest problems I have is with my colonists their bedrooms. I make them 7x7, so the interior space is a 5x5 room. I put a bed, small table, dining chair (all wooden), a standing light, metal plantpot and a cloth recliner chair (I think it was called?) and even though the rooms still have 17 open space left the  tooltips keep saying they are cramped.

Thing is, these rooms are pretty massive and considering they get no bonus to happiness for them im wondering if I shouldnt just make a big communal hall and put them all in the same space? Sure I will take a small happiness hit but the amount of resources that I needed to make rooms was massive...and I dident even get any happiness bonus for giving them their luxurious suite. It did say the qulity was pretty decent but the rooms never got above "dull" quality....

Any idea on what to do? Or tips to increase the room quality?

Wex

Sometimes, in old Alpha, it happened the "cramped" debuff would appear if you put the bed near the wall, even in a large room. I don't know if it's still there, as a bug, but try to move the bed in the center of the room.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

rexx1888

you could also try building them a "house". seems to me the game is trying to model the colonists as people.. an tbh id be pretty epic pissed if i crashlanded somewhere, got locked in a room by the locals an nattered at till i joined them, only to discover i get a communal living space or the equivalent of a studio apartment... also no toilet, but thats a whole other thing

MisterVertigo

I'm not sure, but could it be cramped just because of all the "stuff" you have in the room? My rooms are generally the same size as yours. I make sure it has block walls (not just the rough, mined out walls), some kind of flooring, the bigger bed, and a lamp. Depending on the map and the colonist needs, they may also get a heater and/or potted plant. I usually make a much bigger room with dining room tables and chairs that can be shared by everyone instead of putting those in each colonists' room. This gives them a place to relax socially as well.
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Spectre

Yeah you're getting the cramped debuff because of the things in the room, which also includes pets. To be honest I just ignore the cramped debuff because it wears off as soon as they leave the room and they don't have their mood reduced when they sleep anyway.

I did try and make their rooms as big and beautiful as possible but in terms of resource cost, space their rooms need and the minimal benefits they get it's simply not worth it.

Now my original three colonists get a 5x5 room and the rest get 3x5 with lighting a plant pot and carpet. I've never been in a situation where I've thought 'Damn! I could of avoided that mental break if their room was slightly bigger!'. It might be worth doing their rooms up if they have the greedy or jealous traits but in my colony if you're gonna bitch about your room you're going to find yourself having a pretty nasty incident in the kitchen.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

Demoulius

Well their sleeping arrangements ARE sort of houses  ;D at least they start out as such. I tend to link them all together but everyone gets their own living space :)

I also give them a chair to relax in as they seem to mediate in comfy chairs. Im not sure if the chairs could also work in communal rooms.... I always figured your colonists needed abit of privacy :/

If the extra stuff is simply not needed I might consider just giving them a bed and a heater to keep them warm (infact is the heater needed either? They might generate enough heat on their own?) as it would certainly save space.... Even though it would kinda cut back on the realism part if you ask me :(

Magus_Nex

Apart from having a well crafted bed & pot plant. I dont have anything else in a peons room (all are 7*7 internals). with crafted stones walls and crafted stone floors. I have even taken to placing no lights in the room. I still get the cramped issue.
It might be as someone above posted with the bed been next to the wall.

Either way this is a tad annoying, especially if i have a greedy who then needs 2 statues to still not find the room impressive. :(

cultist

5x6 rooms + bed gives you "rather tight" space, which is good enough.

Also, don't worry too much about colonist rooms being a little cramped. Mood is static while sleeping, so their bedroom environment is not as important as you might think - it's mostly when they are praying or meditating it has an actual effect on their mood. The debuff you need to watch out for is the "hideous bedroom" one, which is usually caused by a very dirty/ugly bedroom (stone chunks and dirt usually cause this). This one is constant, unlike the one they get from actually being in the room.

Spectre

Quote from: Demoulius on October 07, 2015, 05:29:43 PM
Well their sleeping arrangements ARE sort of houses  ;D at least they start out as such. I tend to link them all together but everyone gets their own living space :)

I also give them a chair to relax in as they seem to mediate in comfy chairs. Im not sure if the chairs could also work in communal rooms.... I always figured your colonists needed abit of privacy :/

If the extra stuff is simply not needed I might consider just giving them a bed and a heater to keep them warm (infact is the heater needed either? They might generate enough heat on their own?) as it would certainly save space.... Even though it would kinda cut back on the realism part if you ask me :(

I'd say a heater is definitely necessary. They get a mood debuff 'slept in the cold' which lasts most of the day if they don't have a properly heated bedroom.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

Demoulius

After re-reading my topic abit I noticed I was abit unclear about what my problem is.... My problem is that I cant get the room quality above mediocre. Since the rooms are already quite big I cant make them bigger because of size issues. So I guess I was wondering how to get a "shiney bedroom" bonus....if it excists.

After playing abit more I did notice that I could crank up the quality of the rec room by replacing low quality furniture. It gives the colonists a happines boost if they sit in it and a while after that as well.

I cant get the same result for their bedrooms though  :-\ would a bigger sized bed help?

cultist

Quote from: Demoulius on October 09, 2015, 02:48:16 AM
After re-reading my topic abit I noticed I was abit unclear about what my problem is.... My problem is that I cant get the room quality above mediocre. Since the rooms are already quite big I cant make them bigger because of size issues. So I guess I was wondering how to get a "shiney bedroom" bonus....if it excists.

After playing abit more I did notice that I could crank up the quality of the rec room by replacing low quality furniture. It gives the colonists a happines boost if they sit in it and a while after that as well.

I cant get the same result for their bedrooms though  :-\ would a bigger sized bed help?

Art is probably the fastest way to bump up a room's quality, because it contributes quite a bit to both beauty and value. Keeping it clean also helps a lot. Without any art, you are probably going to have trouble pushing it past mediocre, unless you absolutely fill it with furniture.

A quick fix is also to move valuable resources like gold to rooms whose quality you want to increase.

Demoulius

ah, completly forget about art :)

Il take a look into that, thanks!

TLHeart

Yes a royal bed adds more beauty and wealth to the room, depending again on quality. Also floors, and type of floor adds different beauty and different wealth. Art, adds beauty and wealth, depending on quality and material used.