what happened to the rimworld ultimate mod pack ???

Started by kato1144, October 03, 2015, 03:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kato1144

I was looking at it a week ago here on the froums but it was 1am and i was to tired to do the install so I saved the link and crashed, today i load that link and nothing. Not even there external link will work http://ultimateoverhaulmodpack.weebly.com/#john-smith I'm really confused did this go under another name or did the dev just give up and clear everything he/she was working on?

if it is gone then that is going to suck this was my favorite mod pack

TLHeart

Toggle

If you want a tl;dr: Ninefingers, the modder, kept doing things that upset the modders who's mods he used, and he wouldn't comply with their license agreements so he got upset, took down the mod, then a bit later got perma banned. So yeah, he's gone.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

kato1144

That is to bad he did not respect the other mod devs, well i will have to look for a awsome mod pack else were i guess :(

NuclearStudent

Quote from: kato1144 on October 03, 2015, 05:54:57 PM
That is to bad he did not respect the other mod devs, well i will have to look for a awsome mod pack else were i guess :(

A dude called the TheGentlman is planning a continuation of the Ultimate Overhaul Pack (here https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16368.msg177111;boardseen#new).

He's also posted the file for the modpack for 12d.

TheGentlmen

IZ ZE GENTZ IZ NOWZ WORKZ ONZ ITZ!!!

Link: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16368.0

You can get the old version from the 3rd post. The first post is about current news and events and the secound is random things I don't want to forget. :)

-Gentz

murlocdummy

I've been playing RimWorld since Alpha 3.  You know what this whole incident has proven?  That Rimworld and Ludeon Studios are now the major projects that Tynan set out to create.  Someone ran the gambit of being a contributor to the game, turned out to have severe issues that threatened the integrity of the game's community, and the difficult decision was made to remove them.

Everything was done by community management in a manner that led to a successful outcome, and everything starts to return to a positive state of affairs, as if it were completely natural.  Even Chucklefish Games failed at doing that.  Makes me wonder if I should've donated more than I did for the Kickstarter campaign a few years back.

darkitten

everything makes sense.. not that i understand why or how.. i wont even try speculate what happened to ninefingers perhaps even recently.. perhaps emotions and pressures maybe it even had more to do with things outside of rimworld and somehow this became the vent event.. like i said im not sure what happened.. i just know that what he did was a direct result of his life.. i believe every action is the logical outcome.. even if i would not have chosen it.. sadly tho.. only he knows his life story.. so perhaps only he knew it from his angle.. dont worry too much about the sudden pain ninefingers.. its hard now after the flame war and burnt bridges..but even if you or others cant see the fire fading everyone still remembers you once meant well.. so they dont hate you.. communication broke down and unspoken feeling, pride, fear and anger are all pointy finger things.. deep breath.. let go

kato1144

Dam I had no idea the drama that was involved in the whole ninefingers thing, well I hope the rim world community moves forward after this, and from what murlocdummy said it sound like it has. With that said there is many good and great mods out there that when pared up with other mods don't work with out tweaks that most users would not know how to do so it's nice to have options like a "ultimate mod pack" with most things you want and the option to eliminate certain things that might be a annoyance to other players and a enjoyment to the rest like the seeds please mod (I always did the no seeds please patch) and with that said I'm pretty sure its tough to string all them mods together from other modders and then add options to modify it further but at the end of the day that's what mods are all about, modifying your base game to your liking and that can be very difficult at the user end with out help from more experienced individuals.

I just want to say I don't know what happened with ninefingers but I will be missing his mod until another one comes out and down the road hopefully this whole situation can be avoided with clear communication  between mod devs and there peers, with respects payed to every involved or who abstain from involvement (Meaning if they don't want you putting there mod in with your mods pack don't just do it because you want that feature instead it would be better to make it so you can add that mod latter and the rest will work with the right patch). As I said earlier I don't know what happened to the mod pack and it's dev but from what I have gathered here is there was a rift in what should have been basic communication and respect that turned in the a flame war and a mod dev ended up leaving probably for good, non of that is good for the community in a way I think we all lost a bit on this. I only hope that this is not going to happen again for if this becomes a common theme of moders using others work with out permission or respecting others work it will end up fracturing the community in to those who follow the rules and anarchist who take what they want and that will ruin this modding community, it will push new and old modders away and the content will become stagnate leading to failure.

Lastly I just want to add if you think I'm wrong in my understanding of the situation or my rationalization afterwards please add your comments to this post, I hope I'm not kicking a dead horse till it's a pulp but this is still new news to me.

Thanks for reading, BTW I miss cybernetic storm very much.

FX2K

Quote from: kato1144 on October 05, 2015, 04:52:24 PM
(snip)
Thanks for reading, BTW I miss cybernetic storm very much.

I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure Aeo patched it in elStrages absence, see here (last post p46):
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7970.msg172732#msg172732

silentwolf123

The link above shows what happened and the more people argue about it, the worse it will become because the rumour mill will turn, now that its under new management. (Thank you gentleman) you can see it there. For everything else lets please leave the dead horse as it is a dead horse and move on nothing will change apart from good people like the gentleman!

milon

Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENT) on October 04, 2015, 02:02:30 AM
IZ ZE GENTZ IZ NOWZ WORKZ ONZ ITZ!!!

Link: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16368.0

You can get the old version from the 3rd post. The first post is about current news and events and the secound is random things I don't want to forget. :)

-Gentz

Just to clarify, the old version is gone due to the license issues already mentioned.  It's not in TheGentlemen's linked post anymore which currently only states "Reserved".

dragonheck

well ill be glad when the gentleman finishes up the new pack because for now the only other pack available is Hardcore only and while fun at first is just not for me   I miss the times where there was choice in the mod pack section of the community  but now its just down to one until gentleman finishes up renewing and improving the Ultimate pack just no more people willing to go through the never-ending effort of making a mod pack which is why I applaud the few that still do

KillerOrc

I wish Nine would make a comeback with his excellent modpack. I already miss it! A lot! :(