Difficulty scaling?

Started by tjjt99, January 03, 2014, 08:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjjt99

I've been playing with Chill Callie Classic, and it goes well for then first two raider attacks. The first one is always 1 raider, the second is 2 or 3, but the third has consistently been 6-8, more in some cases. I've tired building lots of turrets, which increases the amount, not building any, recruiting many people, not recruiting anybody, and so on. When I do survive it, it seems to go back down. Has anybody else experienced this?

palandus

The size of raiders is based on two main values (found while doing modding):
-> Difficulty value of the storyteller.
-> Your overall "strength".

Chili Classic I believe has a Difficulty Value of 1.0, Cassandra has a difficulty value of 1.25 (which multiplies whatever your total strength is)

Strength is calculated by 1.0 x Turrets + 1.0 x Stable (any that are not incapped) Colonists + 0.4 x Incapicated Colonists. (Dunno if prisoners count or not)

So if you have 10 Turrets, 8 Stable People and 2 Incapped People your total strength is = 10 + 8 + 0.8 = 18.8

I believe it sends a total number of raiders equal to your strength (18.8 raiders) or maybe half the value (so in this case 9.4 raiders sent). The difficulty modifier multiplies the strength (or if it was Cassandra it would be approx. 10-11 raiders to 23-24 raiders if full value).

If you want to have fewer raiders, try to avoid building a lot of turrets and utilize cover mechanics for your colonists with long range weapons such as Enfield, M16, R4 or M25s.

Hope some of this helps.

Argus

I've seen it suggested in other posts, and found it to be true myself, that over the long term Randy Random is actually the easiest difficulty to play on. Because it chooses events randomly, and many events are positive ones currently, that means that oftentimes you won't have raids very often at all.

Of course, you'll also probably wipe the first 5 colonies you start due to an early raid, but all it takes is one success and you're golden.

Plasmatic

Quote from: Argus on January 04, 2014, 09:38:15 PM
I've seen it suggested in other posts, and found it to be true myself, that over the long term Randy Random is actually the easiest difficulty to play on. Because it chooses events randomly, and many events are positive ones currently, that means that oftentimes you won't have raids very often at all.

Of course, you'll also probably wipe the first 5 colonies you start due to an early raid, but all it takes is one success and you're golden.

I've found the same, and Randy random almost always provides a plethora of colonists..

tjjt99

Cool, I haven't really put much thought into a play through with Randy Random. I'll see how it goes. Thanks!

palandus

Randy Random can give you an easier game, or it can give you an initial raider band within the first 2 days armed with an Enfield. He is quite random, in that respect.

tjjt99

Okay, tried a game with him, huge success. For the first time I felt actually successful in the game. I had about 20 colonists, plenty of food, energy, metal, weapons, everything.  I only stopped playing the world because it started to run slower and slower until I got down to 1 FPS.

Malicar

Took me quite a few games before I finally managed to get ahead and get a decent colony going and ample defense with weapons and money etc. The challenge of it kept me coming back for more and it was quite rewarding to survive some of the "moments" this game puts you through.

Ihatetheinternet

Wow thats really weired i have done the same things and on chill and i have the opsit i have the max people for chill lots of turets and i get week guys with pistols and all my people have good guns i mean srsly i have 3 full ware houses of guns.

Untrustedlife

what day are you on?
Chill ramps up difficulty by about day 40.

I usually play on Cassandra classic.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Untrustedlife

So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK