solar switches

Started by yokesee, October 08, 2015, 04:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yokesee

I love this game.
I would like to put solar switches.
to turn things like lamps depending on whether it is day or night.

a greeting

BetaSpectre

IMO the current switch system is fine.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

REMworlder

Just one more switch option would be great, whether it's a simple timer, proximity, or light detector switch. I hate losing so much electricity running useless machinery during the night. It's awful. Sun lamps are a huge offender, since plants only grow 11-13 hours a day but the sun lamps are burning energy 24/7.

The worst thing is I could cut down on a lot of power usage by turning it off/on manually using the switches and circuits, but that's also a lot of incessant micro even if I'm only clicking twice a day. And RimWorld is about building cool colonies that function without that sort of thing.

Toggle

Quote from: BetaSpectre on October 08, 2015, 05:09:35 PM

I very much disagree. Simply being able to set a turn on and off time on a switch on a 2nd 'time' or 'advanced' switch would save micromanagement and be fantastic, since A LOT of electricity is used at night. As long as you wired your freezer up to another line away from the time switch, you could hook everything in your base up to it based off your colonist sleeping times.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

BetaSpectre

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on October 08, 2015, 07:11:06 PM
Quote from: BetaSpectre on October 08, 2015, 05:09:35 PM

I very much disagree. Simply being able to set a turn on and off time on a switch on a 2nd 'time' or 'advanced' switch would save micromanagement and be fantastic, since A LOT of electricity is used at night. As long as you wired your freezer up to another line away from the time switch, you could hook everything in your base up to it based off your colonist sleeping times.
While I personally find that I can manage the electricity just fine with switches now, if other people want something like this then why not?
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Toggle

Might be better as a mod though.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

yokesee

Limdood

timer switches would be nice.

for those people who don't want it getting TOO automated, make the timer switches still need to be flicked.  Maybe you could set bills on a switch: turn on at 19h, turn off at 6h.  At 19h, a colonist with the flick job would need to run over and hit the switch.  Depending on HOW automated it could get, you could add in "turn on/off when raid warning/mad animal/manhunter pack happens"  or "Turn on/off when no hostile pawns/manhunter animals are on the map"

It isn't "automating" defenses - its automating the order to flick the switch.  I still need a pawn to go do it, i just no longer have to pause, hit the button....or go and search every animal on the map to see if there are any manhunter squirrels left.  I already HAVE access to all the information in those bills above, its just a real-life time saver, nothing more.

In other words, it just removes some of the manual micromanagement, and lets me get back to the game playing.

REMworlder

Having timer or automated switches need to be flicked is a really cool idea!

Imagine syncing a colonist's sleep schedule so he wakes up at dawn to turn off night lights. Imagine a colonist with a room full of switches he uses every day. That sounds neat and really involves colonists with player planning.

skullywag

Yeah could have the night shift flicking the lights off before going to bed.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?