End game? After game.

Started by Mr Demon, October 12, 2015, 05:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Demon

I know the end game is to leave the planet, what i want to suggest is this.

Endgame you all escape on a ship, your chosen survivors leave, and those left, are left behind.
You are now in space, packed with supplies you took from your colony.
Time to survive in space.

This is an idea, extremely late into the game, but never-the-less an idea, as the theme, look, and my guess, engine, suits it all wonderfully. Those whom agree, please give your opinion, those who do not, share yours.

Also wanted to raise this, if this age of humanity, are capable of drop pods, space flight, personal shields, and cryptopods, would this not mean they are capable of much more? I will raise this in another topic.

MarcTheMerc

Cannonically in Rimworlds universe ftl is impossible the game 'ends' with your colonist climbing into cryopods. Any space based after game would be a rather boring experiance. :(
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

Facepunch

Dunno if you noticed, but the ships are just beams with a bunch of cryopods taped on. It would involve exclusively watching your colonists sit in their cryopods.

BetaSpectre

IMO you ought to be able to relocate to a new spot then strip mine that place clean.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

booksonphonics

I wrote a little blurb on this here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16386.0

I agree. I would like to see some more progression oriented content that would work well with the current game flow. Would someone mind bumping my post especially if you like my idea. Thanks.

Jamini

You know... you can keep playing after your colonists blast off.

It can be a pretty interesting challenge, trying to rebuild your colony after it dies off/blasts off from a single colonist. Doubly so if you stuff a few "Undesirable" captives into non-ship-based cryocasket for the first wanderer to recruit.

Dev mode even has a way to re-add fog of war. Which means you can make a colony, then share it with a friend to explore.

killer117

I talk a lot about this in a post i made. Check it out and see if u like any of the ideas i had.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15323.msg161533#msg161533
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

TheGrover

I like the idea of taking your colonists and resources elsewhere in the world and starting a new colony, under the illusion that the pirates and tribals won't come looking again (but that would be no fun gameplay wise), or even to a new world altogether. It would make starting up a bit harder since you start with a really high wealth (accounted for by a spaceship packed with valuable resources and a dozen bionic colonists) but little or no defences (maybe an energy based turret on your ship?) Then you can build another colony after your pawns have learned from their mistakes in the last, a never ending cycle of build- learn- abandon (until the mechanoids rip out your spines in the first week because your wealth is so high after landing that you are practically being stalked by them

rakkaus

A better end game is probably coming as a better mid game. Having to advance slowly on tech tree (learning to build even the most basic things like chairs and tables) and making it really hard to reach the point you are able to craft and build a space ship.

Mr Demon

Quote from: rakkaus on October 15, 2015, 05:52:19 AM
A better end game is probably coming as a better mid game. Having to advance slowly on tech tree (learning to build even the most basic things like chairs and tables) and making it really hard to reach the point you are able to craft and build a space ship.

I wouldn't mind this either, space travel should be considered a end game scenario, everything else survival. I only mention this, as many single minded games, are fun, but lack game changers, things that put a spin on the game, and considering you are building a colony, would you not want to expand? or would you just rather roam? Regardless, if they keep the game to the singular planet, the game won't go far, but it will be its own game.

JimmyAgnt007

After you launch the ship and end your game there should just be your ship going through space with the stars moving in the background and NOTHING happening on the ship because thats really all thats happening at that stage.  Maybe that should be the credits screen where Tynan puts his name under a ridiculous number of job titles.

Joking aside, Id be ok with the ship crashing at another location having 'failed to break atmo' and have whoever on board come down in pods. 

If people really want to command a ship in space, Ive started development on a game specifically about that.  A totally text based game (to avoid tedious mapping and pathfinding AI) about managing a ship lost in the void.

BetaSpectre

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on October 15, 2015, 12:48:38 PM
After you launch the ship and end your game there should just be your ship going through space with the stars moving in the background and NOTHING happening on the ship because thats really all thats happening at that stage.  Maybe that should be the credits screen where Tynan puts his name under a ridiculous number of job titles.

Joking aside, Id be ok with the ship crashing at another location having 'failed to break atmo' and have whoever on board come down in pods. 

If people really want to command a ship in space, Ive started development on a game specifically about that.  A totally text based game (to avoid tedious mapping and pathfinding AI) about managing a ship lost in the void.
That's boring, the ship might be seen like that, but there should be an option to continue that ship will find other planets or ground, or be destroyed eventually.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: BetaSpectre on October 15, 2015, 01:34:43 PM
That's boring, the ship might be seen like that, but there should be an option to continue that ship will find other planets or ground, or be destroyed eventually.

I know, I was just making the joke that it would be a good credits screen.  Ships in sub-light interstellar trips would be incredibly boring.  Thats why it shouldnt be an actual part of the game.  Skipping it and getting a new world or whatever would be fine with me though.

killer117

I think stuff like spaceports would be cool to have, if u could board them, and attack or trade or steal and stuff. Then you could just blow it up or just leave on your ship. Itd just be cool
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.