Tea and Coffee

Started by LouisTBR, October 12, 2015, 01:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisTBR

Who else thinks that colonists should be given the right to drink tea/coffee? Well, here we go!

The mechanics are generally simple. Here is a basic, worded equation to explain the process:

5 Milk + 1 Tea Leaf/10 Coffee Beans + Kettle = Tea/Coffee

Now, I understand that boiling water is also a part of this, but as water isn't technically in the game as a resource yet, I figure that the kettle would act as boiling water in the way that it makes the ingredients into a beverage.

The kettle is a crafting table, accessible immediately from the 'Crafting' menu (Or whatever it is called  ;D) as a 1x3 like the brewing table etc. A colonist, set to 'Cook' in the work menu, will operate this table when a bill needs fulfilling. They will then go and take 10 coffee beans/1 tea leaf, 5 units of milk and place them together on the kettle. In about 5 seconds, the ingredients will be converted into 1 unit of tea/coffee.

Coffee beans come from the Coffee Plant, which can be grown in a growing zone. It takes as long as cotton, and each plant yields 35 beans at 100% grown. Tea Leaves come from the Camellia sinensis, also known as a tea plant. These can also be grown, and take the same time as cotton. 1 100%
grown plant will yield 10 tea leaves.

The effect tea/coffee has on colonists? Tea gives a 10% joy boost per unit consumed, whereas coffee gives 5% (To balance it with the sleep effect!) joy bonus, as well as a 30% sleep bonus.

Thanks for reading!
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Loki88

I'm not sure about coffee, but there's tea in the vegetable garden mod  ;D (one of my must have mods) it's something I'd like to see added to vanilla as another type of chemical joy ( I think that's what the beer is under anyway ??? )

LouisTBR

Yeah, mods do bring a lot into the game. Why not coffee? Could you elaborate?
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Loki88

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on October 13, 2015, 02:04:20 AM
Yeah, mods do bring a lot into the game. Why not coffee? Could you elaborate?

Its just that I only use vegetable garden as my only crop mod (there are others) any it only has tea and not coffee. I believe the author dismar was asked about coffee before and had mentioned he didn't want to implement it due to mod overlap. I didn't look for coffee myself so didn't want to state something as fact that I wasn't sure of.

Wex

IRL, tea and coffee are actually "cash crops", meaning it would be a nice trading comodity.
In game they could be also highly priced, so you will probably sell them, but a late colony would buy them for mood buffs and heightened activity.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

LouisTBR

Mmm, Wex that seems like a good idea. Obviously you could trade them, but it would be interesting to compare them to other items such as beer.

Limdood

biggest and only real objection is small, but would be a game breaker for me - making me not use coffee even if it was implemented, if it went in as you say:

1 plant = 35 coffee would be HELL on haulers.  It would take a huge amount of extra labor to get any coffee production going, not to mention the stockpile space.

LouisTBR

Well, it could be altered... thanks!

LanMc

There was a mod for coffee, tobacco and varies alcoholic beverages but it hasn't been updated since Alpha 10.

Finer Things

skyarkhangel created a compilation mod (multiple mods in one...)

Pleasure_SK

which included Finer Things and Weed plus the addition of New Textures by SK.  But it hasn't been updated since Alpha 11.  I have updated the Pleasure_SK mod for personal use...  I appreciate the additions it has brought to my Rimworld experience.  I enjoy having the extra joy items in the game.

My point is...  You could use the Finer Things mod as an example to see how it brought coffee into play and maybe create your own mod with both coffee and tea instead?
Hi, my name is Lan and I am a Rimworld addict...

dismar

Quote from: LanMc on October 31, 2015, 02:17:48 PM
There was a mod for coffee, tobacco and varies alcoholic beverages but it hasn't been updated since Alpha 10.

Finer Things

skyarkhangel created a compilation mod (multiple mods in one...)

Pleasure_SK

which included Finer Things and Weed plus the addition of New Textures by SK.  But it hasn't been updated since Alpha 11.  I have updated the Pleasure_SK mod for personal use...  I appreciate the additions it has brought to my Rimworld experience.  I enjoy having the extra joy items in the game.

My point is...  You could use the Finer Things mod as an example to see how it brought coffee into play and maybe create your own mod with both coffee and tea instead?

Coffee has been added to the new version of the garden coming sooooooon.