[Mod Request] automatic smelting/crafting with the help of A2B conveyor belts?

Started by WuRsTwAsSeR, October 13, 2015, 05:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WuRsTwAsSeR

Hello rimworld folks,

first of all, thank you for all modders for your great work you are all doing to add such awesome content to this game,
and thank you Tynan that you are making this game. I simply love rimworld and are playing it since alpha 8.

For many months i've tried many mods.
The one mod, which I'm using the most is without a question A2Bcorp conveyor belts to haul the ressources from one side of my colony to the other side.

I know the belts can be used to automatic refill the hoppers for the synthesizer or some different power generators like the coal power generator.

So my question or mod request is: Is it possible to use the belts to make some crafting automatic. Like smelting steel ore to steel bar for example.

The belts would transport the steel ore to the hopper of the automatic smelt.
After some time of work, the smelt unload the steel bar at an specific unload point next of the smelt, where you can build another conveyour belt. This conveyour belt would now transport your steel bar to your stock or other destinations in your colony.

Soo.. yeah, this is my request :P

Toggle

Yes, you could use it to make crafting automatic, but it's easier to just request for automatic crafters that don't require workers, and then to use the conveyor belts after, then making it require conveyor belts.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Fluffy (l2032)

You should ask in the A2B thread, but if you're into crafting with conveyor belts, you should really give the game Factorio a try. I vaguely recall someone (I think A2B's author - not sure) saying they didn't intend A2B to make rimworld into a factorio derivative...

noone

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on October 14, 2015, 10:03:41 AM
I vaguely recall someone (I think A2B's author - not sure) saying they didn't intend A2B to make rimworld into a factorio derivative...

Indeed. People at A2Bcorp are not keen on expanding A2B to crafting machines in the same mod. However, people at A2Bcorp are VERY keen to create a companion mod that focuses on crafting - e.g. something called "A2B machines", which people could install alongside 'A2B conveyor belts & co". The A2B Github repo is the perfect place to get this done, and ensure easy access as well as compatibility between the two systems.

There has been many people in the past asking/hoping/dreaming for something like "A2B Machines" to get done. Machines could be anything, from "rock chunks to sand" devices all the way to "beer factories" and the like. There just hasn't been anyone with enough motivation and time to make this a reality.

As written above, the best way to get to it (and ensure maximum portability) would be to feed any machines with vanilla hoppers. That way, people would be free to use the A2B belts - or not - as they wish. And keep the two mods nicely separated.

WuRsTwAsSeR

Thank you for your answer!

Maybe I just focused to much on the conveyor belts in my explanation. Sry for that.
I really just wanted to request some automatic smelting/craftig tables with the help of the hoppers.

Anyhow. Do you guys know, if I would try to make my own "Automatic smelting/crafting" Mod, would I need to make my own .DLL for this?
Because, I'm lacking of the engineering/programming skills to do this.
With edditing some .XML files, I do have no problems, but .DLL is another topic. :/

Another thanks for you noone and your comrades from A2Bcorp.
Really great mod you contribute to the rimworld ;D

The idea of auto-crafting has come up a couple times, sometimes in conjunction with A2B.

It's a great idea but it will require a DLL.  There is no built in auto-crafting mechanism or general purpose mechanism to do this.  You'll need to learn a new skill (C# programming) to make the required DLL.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.