[Feature Change] Living Arrangements

Started by Vagabond, October 14, 2015, 04:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vagabond

Hello,

So, in my experience the best bet for any colony irregardless of tech progress, or days in, is to bunk your colonists in a barracks type situation. This is due to time, resources, and size requirements of building separate bedrooms. My suggestion covers how I think both the barracks approach and bedroom approach could co-exist.

QuoteWhat I suggest is to remove living arrangements from the rest of the room size systems.

Barracks Zone: No longer gives the "Sharing Room" debuff to colonists. The "Disturbed Sleep" debuff is the main concern in this living arrangement. Visitors will never go into a Barracks Zone

Bedroom Zone: The bedroom zone designates an area as a colonist's personal space. Walls can't be designated, but doors can, allowing multi-room apartments. Colonists will not go into a bedroom zone that isn't theirs, unless it is to construct, repair, haul, or clean. Visitors will never go into a bedroom Zone.

Room size mood modifier:
4-8 tiles: +0
9-15 tiles: +1
16-24 tiles: +2
25-35 tiles: +3
36+ tiles: +4

The mood bonus increases by +1 for each piece of furniture, while beauty is calculated separately.

QuoteException "Greedy" Trait

Trait specific modifiers for barracks living and room size.

Barracks Zone: Sharing Room Debuff (-4, -40% Global Work Speed)
4-8 tiles: -3, -30% Global Work Speed
9-15 tiles: -2, -20% Global Work Speed
16-24 tiles: -1, -10% Global Work Speed
25-35 tiles: 0
36-48 tiles: +1, +10% Global Work Speed
49-63 tiles: +2, +20% Global Work Speed
64-81 tiles: +3, +30% Global Work Speed
82-100 tiles: +4, +40% Global Work Speed

The mood bonus increases by +1 for each piece of furniture, while beauty is calculated separately.

QuoteException "Ascetic" Trait

Trait specific modifiers for barracks living and room size.

Barracks Zone: Sharing Room buff (+4, +40% Global Work Speed)
4-8 tiles: +3, +30% Global Work Speed
9-15 tiles: +2, +20% Global Work Speed
16-24 tiles: +1, +10% Global Work Speed
25-35 tiles: 0
36-48 tiles: -1, -10% Global Work Speed
49-63 tiles: -2, -20% Global Work Speed
64-81 tiles: -3, -30% Global Work Speed
82-100 tiles: -4, -40% Global Work Speed

QuoteA related, but misc. idea: Hospital Zone

The perks of a hospital being no disturbed sleep debuff or sharing room debuff, to prevent possible exploitation, a hospital zone will automatically switch beds to medical beds.

Cheers,
Michael

CrazyEyes

I like it, as I feel the room requirements now are a bit silly. Each colonist has their own 6x6 bedroom with a king-size bed, armchair, statue, potted plants, and wall-to-wall carpeting and barely any of this registers to them. Considered they crash-landed here and are working for survival I think their expectations are a touch high.
Before you talk to me, I should warn you: I am kind of strange.

NuclearStudent

I do like the idea of being able to designate apartments. Being able to designate entire rooms as personal bedrooms would be nice, but I also like the idea of being able to designate some outdoor space for specific colonists. I would love to be able to designate a patio and a yard, for instance. A kitchen, a walk-in closet, a bedroom, and a powder room would also be pleasant.

I'm skeptical about removing "sharing bedroom" completely. "Sharing bedroom" makes it clear to new players that barracks are not the way to go for maximum happiness. It also makes intuitive sense, and reduces frustration at "disturbed sleep", because "sharing bedrooms" helps us see what's going on. "Sharing bedroom" is also a penalty that separates bunkrooms from the Ritz. Afterall, having twenty pieces of furniture doesn't help morale that much when 19 of them are the empty sleeping places of former comrades.

(Incidentally, I would be interested to know how you concluded that barracks are the most efficient way forward. I concluded that private 1x2 bedrooms were the best way to do it.)

Vagabond

Hello,

QuoteI'm skeptical about removing "sharing bedroom" completely. "Sharing bedroom" makes it clear to new players that barracks are not the way to go for maximum happiness. It also makes intuitive sense, and reduces frustration at "disturbed sleep", because "sharing bedrooms" helps us see what's going on. "Sharing bedroom" is also a penalty that separates bunkrooms from the Ritz. Afterall, having twenty pieces of furniture doesn't help morale that much when 19 of them are the empty sleeping places of former comrades.

As Crazy Eyes mentioned, having a negative moodlet for sharing a bedroom is silly for the average person in any survival situation. Which I proposed removing it in favor of simply allowing "Disturbed Sleep" to be the main negative, along with room size - In a survival situation having much needed sleep disturbed would cause stress and fray nerves much easier then when you're in your own comfy bed and your wife won't stop grinding her teeth, or one of your kids come in and wake you up because they heard something. That stuff tends to get ignored - because you aren't trying to simply survive.

It is also why I proposed changing the "Greedy" trait to also include the Sharing room negative moodlet - the people with this trait are the ones that piss people off and get called devas, ect. They have to have their space - so if they are worth having, even if all your colonist share space, you have to give them their own private space - because they are worth it. Otherwise, ditch them when you can!

((As far as I can tell the barracks style living, currently, is superior than making small rooms. It saves space, and by giving them a large room they don't receive the cramped spaces negative moodlet, but given the beautiful room moodlet, as well as spacious. When you do the math and take into consideration length of moodlets, you are getting more bang for your buck by simply making a bigger room more beautiful for your colonists to bunk in))

As a side note, according to the most recent updates on the developer blog, they are looking to incorperate families, something Ive lobbied for a long time- that some were vehemently (and very vocally) opposed to. With this, having the ability to better designate zones for colonists and their families would make this suggestion a no-brainer. I suspect they had already taken this idea into consideration prior to me posting it, because as far as I can tell it's a logical step in adding in families.

Cheers,
Michael