[wip] [a12] Lightning Rods

Started by dut, October 14, 2015, 09:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dut

this is my first RimWorld mod, so be gentle. :D yes, i went for the flashiest thing i could find, but it's also something of a annoyance to me in playing... i present:

Lightning Rods

... coming soon ...

i want to make a base for lightning rods with various effects so people can make their own to their mod's flavor. for me this is a security device that protects my base from burning down while i'm out hunting. others may want a power transmitting effect to oppose the eclipse events sapping power. hopefully i can get all that included as options, and then some.

primary effect is attracting lightning, which involved coding new lightningstrike subclasses and modding WeatherDefs\Weathers.xml classes to use my new lightning strike. this means it does NOT work with the built in debug menu lightning strike, which calls the old classes directly. anyone know a way around that?  ::)

i have a lot of ideas on how different rod effects might operate with both negative and positive outcomes, different ranges, etc. but really would rather have all of that ultimately configurable so i can leave the balance/art/applications up to other modders. i don't want to get trapped making endlessly reusable components for everything either, tho.

so far, it looks like the above screenshot when you up the dry storm lightning timing to 2/second with a 50 radius protective-only rod. ;D it redirects any strikes within a radius around a rod to strike at the rod location itself. if it strikes the rod, it doesn't explode the ground. that's it.

dut

dut

SlimeCrusher

From a guy's wich first mod was literally just an automatic T-9incendiary launcher wich i called "flamethrower", this is surprisingly awesome as a first mod! (if that made any sense whatsoever) Great job!

Wex

IMHO, you could have two kind of "upgrade": energy recharging rods, and deflecting rods, that act like turrets, deflecting lightning onto enemies.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

milon

As far as getting around the debug tool limitations, my thought is to create a new debug item that can list and call the various classes. The item could be spawned via the debug tools, and a colonist could interact with it to test the new changes.