Ludeon Forums

Ludeon Forums

• December 13, 2019, 05:47:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How's the Animal army going?  (Read 7224 times)

keylocke

• Planetologist
  • indecisive potato and horrible analogist
    • View Profile
Re: How's the Animal army going?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015, 03:35:05 AM »

i often keep my animal army tied to only one brawling master. then i let them go ninja around the enemy flank and then send them to attack isolated enemies. wargs/huskies/retrievers/boars are generally my brawler meatshields. just keep them clear from frags and rockets. (which is why you should not release them.. yet.)

afterwards, once the enemies starts fleeing, i release them to start hunting people. along with my other brawlers. they're basically the ninja / cleanup crew.

LittleGreenStone

• Colonist
  • Does this moss make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2015, 02:42:25 PM »

My current best handler has 13 handling and 15 melee, equipped with power armor, power armor helmet, a plasteel gladius, a plasteel shield (a mod offering medieval shields) accompanied by ~15 boars.

Enemy came, in a corner I ambushed them.
Only 2 boars died, ~8 was injured (mostly lightly), 20+ raiders killed.
Butchered the dead boars, got myself meat and leather.

Rest of the colonists harvesting and crafting in the meanwhile.

This is the tits, animal army banzai.

Shurp

• Planetologist
  • Edgelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2015, 05:53:40 PM »

How long does it take to breed attack animals?  When I perused Races_Animal_Pet.xml I saw painfully long breeding times.  For example, it lists a husky's gestation period as 45 days and adulthood at 0.8, which I assume is years... which means it takes a full year to breed replacements for the casualties from the dozen or more raids you'll get every year.  I can't imagine this is viable unless you have a pack of 100 or so.  How are you making this work?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

LittleGreenStone

• Colonist
  • Does this moss make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2015, 03:06:06 AM »

How long does it take to breed attack animals?  When I perused Races_Animal_Pet.xml I saw painfully long breeding times.  For example, it lists a husky's gestation period as 45 days and adulthood at 0.8, which I assume is years... which means it takes a full year to breed replacements for the casualties from the dozen or more raids you'll get every year.  I can't imagine this is viable unless you have a pack of 100 or so.  How are you making this work?

For one, I don't breed huskies. I find it rather slow to my taste.
But if I did; tame them, buy them.
1 healthy, young male is plenty for 10 females, breeding them will get you ~20 or so huskies in a year.
"Attack animals" IMO should include boars, wargs, thrumbos, cobras, rhinos and similar. You can replace "attack animals" by buying them and/or taming them, if breeding alone isn't enough.

Animals are a "consumables", they're melee often attacking ranged units, even if you create the best opportunity for them they'll probably take losses still, but you'll get yourself meat and leather/fur, so it's not exactly a waste.

...Or change the numbers in the xml, give them shorter gestation periods for example.

Shurp

• Planetologist
  • Edgelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2015, 07:17:15 AM »

The gestation period isn't bad, it's waiting a year for them to grow up that has me discouraged.  I usually play a colony only for 2 years before I get bored with it.  In the time it takes to breed an attack force I could probably just build a ship and leave.

I thought about hacking the xml... but I first wanted to hear others' ideas and see if maybe I'm misunderstanding something or doing something wrong.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.
Pages: 1 2 [3]