How's the Animal army going?

Started by Listy, October 16, 2015, 01:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regret

It would be interesting to train boomalopes and have them lie in ambush.
timing would be important though, the boomalope needs to be released at the right time for the trainer to get away safely but not i a situation where the enemy can shoot it before it gets close.

Maybe some kind of maze?

Heh, monster in a maze, that colony should be called Minos.

milon

Quote from: Listy on October 19, 2015, 01:30:38 AM
Quote from: Zeta Omega on October 18, 2015, 08:23:33 PM
1. Hares (gave up on that)
2. Boars (gave up on that)
3. Chickens (needed some cash)
4 Elephants (Currently 4)

Currently at about 19 Rhino's. This will be Glorious!

The big trouble I'm having is sort of wondering what is the critical mass, where I can start moving Rhinos from breeding to Charging.

Just make them all breed. Any that are too old become your attack force. And if you get attacked, you can "draft" all but one or two young breeding couples.

Edit - I used to think boomalopes would be good, but time is a literal killer. The old ones get infected, which goes untreated, then they die, and Boom! Every wild boomalope population I've ever seen has wiped itself out in months due to this very thing. (And don't forget that untreated burns get infected too...)

Namuras

How on earth do people keep their chickens fed?
I didn't watch my Hen and Rooster for a while and surprise surprise i had around 200 wandering around and starving.
When i supplied hay to them, they would just vacuum it up in an instant...
Luckily a lightning strike and subsequent fire put a good deal of them out of their misery and trading all but 10 away did the rest.

But this leads me to the question: is it possible to use eggs as an efficient method of sustaining a colony?

Listy

Quote from: milon on October 19, 2015, 12:09:59 PM
Just make them all breed. Any that are too old become your attack force. And if you get attacked, you can "draft" all but one or two young breeding couples.

How old is too old though?

Quote from: Namuras on October 20, 2015, 02:05:26 AM
I didn't watch my Hen and Rooster for a while and surprise surprise i had around 200 wandering around and starving.
Luckily a lightning strike and subsequent fire put a good deal of them out of their misery and trading all but 10 away did the rest.

But this leads me to the question: is it possible to use eggs as an efficient method of sustaining a colony?

I think that's a "no" I had ~460 chickens and nearly lost a colony because they were eating all my grain.

Namuras

Quote from: Listy on October 20, 2015, 02:45:21 AM
Quote from: milon on October 19, 2015, 12:09:59 PM

Quote from: Namuras on October 20, 2015, 02:05:26 AM

I think that's a "no" I had ~460 chickens and nearly lost a colony because they were eating all my grain.

Guess chickens are only good at beeing a "fire and forget" tradegood then. Since getting 30 something silver for a 2 month old is pretty good.

Loki88

I feed the chicken armada with either my silage mod I made since it makes your hay more efficient at feeding your critters (Shameless plug). Or in later stages of the game I turn dead raiders in to simple meals to get the chickens to eat them. By then the colonists are getting fine or lavish meals and won't touch the simple meals. That requires a second fridge for chicken meals, where as with the silage it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

milon

Quote from: Listy on October 20, 2015, 02:45:21 AM

Good question. When an animal gets too old, it can't breed anymore (I think, although I've seen my starting pet Labrador with dementia and cataracts get pregnant). The wiki doesn't say either, but I've read in other threads here that "too old" animals won't breed.  I have no idea what the cut off is or if it really exists.

SubZeroBricks

Slightly Off topic but I have not seen a need to keep animals other than huskys (currently at 15)

Also I dont butcher stuff as I can keep animal meat for a rainy day, its getting quite out of hand :/

Dont ask about the wargs... they were manhunter and I forgot to turn off my turrets.
"The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."

Listy

Quote from: SubZeroBricks on October 22, 2015, 03:10:19 AM
Slightly Off topic but I have not seen a need to keep animals other than huskys (currently at 15)

Also I dont butcher stuff as I can keep animal meat for a rainy day, its getting quite out of hand :/

Dont ask about the wargs... they were manhunter and I forgot to turn off my turrets.

You might need to work on your cooling arrangements.

SubZeroBricks

Quote from: Listy on October 22, 2015, 04:51:42 AM

How so? Its always -10 c in there, which is enough for food to be frozen.
"The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."

Listy

Quote from: SubZeroBricks on October 22, 2015, 11:45:00 AM
Quote from: Listy on October 22, 2015, 04:51:42 AM

How so? Its always -10 c in there, which is enough for food to be frozen.

Yeah but you're using four coolers to achieve it. Here's my set up, and its -9/-8 in there with just two running.

Loki88

I use four and just stagger the temps on each. -2 -4 -6 and -8. Only enough coolers are running at one time to keep things frozen.

Regret

Staggered temps are the bomb!
I was so glad when someone here pointed out that possibility.

Draxis

Chickens are fine if treated right. I started with two using prepare carefully and got up to around 50 odd hens near the end. You have to plant a massive field of hay and just let them graze there. I had around half of my base as a grazing grounds, but coupled with three sunlamps and hydroponics gave me enough eggs to have lavish meals for 12 colonists and a few prisoners every day.

zlongshark

I've currently got 5 thrumbo's which make an awesome inhome defense system
"Who would have guessed you could order beer in the outer rim of the galaxy"