How's the Animal army going?

Started by Listy, October 16, 2015, 01:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

i often keep my animal army tied to only one brawling master. then i let them go ninja around the enemy flank and then send them to attack isolated enemies. wargs/huskies/retrievers/boars are generally my brawler meatshields. just keep them clear from frags and rockets. (which is why you should not release them.. yet.)

afterwards, once the enemies starts fleeing, i release them to start hunting people. along with my other brawlers. they're basically the ninja / cleanup crew.

LittleGreenStone

My current best handler has 13 handling and 15 melee, equipped with power armor, power armor helmet, a plasteel gladius, a plasteel shield (a mod offering medieval shields) accompanied by ~15 boars.

Enemy came, in a corner I ambushed them.
Only 2 boars died, ~8 was injured (mostly lightly), 20+ raiders killed.
Butchered the dead boars, got myself meat and leather.

Rest of the colonists harvesting and crafting in the meanwhile.

This is the tits, animal army banzai.

Shurp

How long does it take to breed attack animals?  When I perused Races_Animal_Pet.xml I saw painfully long breeding times.  For example, it lists a husky's gestation period as 45 days and adulthood at 0.8, which I assume is years... which means it takes a full year to breed replacements for the casualties from the dozen or more raids you'll get every year.  I can't imagine this is viable unless you have a pack of 100 or so.  How are you making this work?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Shurp on December 17, 2015, 05:53:40 PM
How long does it take to breed attack animals?  When I perused Races_Animal_Pet.xml I saw painfully long breeding times.  For example, it lists a husky's gestation period as 45 days and adulthood at 0.8, which I assume is years... which means it takes a full year to breed replacements for the casualties from the dozen or more raids you'll get every year.  I can't imagine this is viable unless you have a pack of 100 or so.  How are you making this work?

For one, I don't breed huskies. I find it rather slow to my taste.
But if I did; tame them, buy them.
1 healthy, young male is plenty for 10 females, breeding them will get you ~20 or so huskies in a year.
"Attack animals" IMO should include boars, wargs, thrumbos, cobras, rhinos and similar. You can replace "attack animals" by buying them and/or taming them, if breeding alone isn't enough.

Animals are a "consumables", they're melee often attacking ranged units, even if you create the best opportunity for them they'll probably take losses still, but you'll get yourself meat and leather/fur, so it's not exactly a waste.

...Or change the numbers in the xml, give them shorter gestation periods for example.

Shurp

The gestation period isn't bad, it's waiting a year for them to grow up that has me discouraged.  I usually play a colony only for 2 years before I get bored with it.  In the time it takes to breed an attack force I could probably just build a ship and leave.

I thought about hacking the xml... but I first wanted to hear others' ideas and see if maybe I'm misunderstanding something or doing something wrong.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.