My very first Colony

Started by CrazyChris, October 17, 2015, 02:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyChris

Loving the game so far. The amount of complexity and stuff you are able to do are quite pleasing.

I've been spending my time between scouring the wiki and actually trying to figure out how to do things in game and I'm having a blast.

Out of curiosity, what would more experienced player recommend as an objective regarding my base? As of now I plan to eventually replace the wood by steel and keep expanding into the mountain to get installations such as comms and trading.

ssdg

Grow more variety of plants, Xerigium produce and herbal medicine, hop will produce beer. rice and corn is also better than potato(at least imo).

Let your colonist share a community room until you can build a room big enough for each and every colonist. You also need prison and medic room.

Use the mountain to your advantage, you can build a lot less walls. Dont build a room for the sack of build a room. You need to store your medicines in cooler.

REMworlder

Looks like a good start. Three easy things you can do:

1)Build with stone instead of steel and wood. It's sturdy and non-flammable, and best of all frees up steel and wood for other things.

2)Put in an eating table, anywhere, outside or inside. Preferably close to where meals are stored. A nice mood bonus and really cheap if you use stone.

3)Add lighting in rooms where colonists spend a lot of time, like the kitchen or crafting rooms.

One last thing is you have a lot of batteries, probably too many. And they're all in one place really close together. If you get an electrical discharge fire or mortar in the battery room you're probably going to lose your batteries. I'd at least build a communications console instead.

You'll probably need more plants too to keep your colony fed sustainably, especially rice or xerigium for heals like ssdg said.

EarthyTurtle

You've done well, I'd probably take it further than that also. Might choose to add some paths between buildings to limit some of the walk time :). But definitely it's looking like you are a bit supply blocked, I'd get mining into that hill side asap.

First thing I'd buy however, a beacon and a comms console. Get that trade up so you can start earning a bit of silver and get critical supply when you need them.

CrazyChris

I dare say things are going along nicely. I added a trade facility, a crematorium, a dining hall , sheltered stockpile and a research workshop. I also got what i need to process minerals into building materials.

Also had quite a bad turn of events when a cave-in killed my fighter. Fortunately I rescued a cook from a pod crashe and saved an engineer from pirates so I'm not struggling with manpower.

As suggested, once I get enough building materials, I'll switch everything wood for stone and will make everything prettier for the colonists.

The other projects I have in mind would be :

-Build a structure to house both a prison and a medbay
-Relocate the dining hall to be closer to my freezer.
-Rebuild the living area to give more space to my colonists.
-Build some actual defenses near the entrance.
-Convert current dining hall to housing
-Do something about my battery problem.

I also installed lots of growing areas outside the crater.

Fuck I'm loving this

Bob_Namg

Quote from: CrazyChris on October 17, 2015, 05:19:34 PM
I dare say things are going along nicely. I added a trade facility, a crematorium, a dining hall , sheltered stockpile and a research workshop. I also got what i need to process minerals into building materials.

Also had quite a bad turn of events when a cave-in killed my fighter. Fortunately I rescued a cook from a pod crashe and saved an engineer from pirates so I'm not struggling with manpower.

As suggested, once I get enough building materials, I'll switch everything wood for stone and will make everything prettier for the colonists.

The other projects I have in mind would be :

-Build a structure to house both a prison and a medbay
-Relocate the dining hall to be closer to my freezer.
-Rebuild the living area to give more space to my colonists.
-Build some actual defenses near the entrance.
-Convert current dining hall to housing
-Do something about my battery problem.

I also installed lots of growing areas outside the crater.

snip

Fuck I'm loving this
I always start replacing walls with stone (so that they don't burn down instantly in case of a fire), just don't knock down multiple buildings/entire wings doing this. Do a few wall sections at a time.
Also exterior walls are vital in case of toxic fallout, you can designate no roof areas so don't leave your growing areas/solar panels covered if a roof auto completes upon completion of the wall.
Oh and if you build turrets build them in alcoves, with strong walls facing outwards so raiders can't shoot them from a distance. And put traps around them.
"Hon hon hon"
-Anonymous, France

CrazyChris

Last little update for the day, seems like the AI loves throwing climate an atmospheric challenges at me.

I was in the middle of replacing everything made of wood to stone when both a toxic fallout and a heatwave rolled on me. This nice little combination proceeded to not only fuck my crops but it killed off all the wildlife too!

Nonetheless, colony pulled through and everything is back to normal again.

milon

I see a geothermal steam vent between your workshop and stockpile area. Research geothermal generator if you haven't, move some walls, and build a geothermal power plant. It's very reliable power!

TheDirge

Crank up the difficulty..watch everyone you love die.. Rimworld is digital suffering..learn to enjoy it :D

NuclearStudent

I would suggest walling up your entrance and putting a door. When a hundred angry rednecks come a knocking with shotguns and grenades, it never hurts to have a backup plan!

CrazyChris

My very first colony just went under.

A pack of manhunting rhinos just laughed at my defense attempt and slaughtered everyone.

Time for a new colony!

milon

^ A simple wall/door saves you from that fate. Man hunter packs can't open doors and won't try to break them down. ;)

May your next colony fare even better!

CrazyChris