Game is Freezing for 2 secs

Started by Schissl, October 18, 2015, 04:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schissl

Hello Guys

I was oberhappy to start a new RW Session. So i got A12d and Hardcore Modpack and startet (delered seeds please, avtivated zombi mod).

After like 20 mins the game start to behave very strange. the game start to freeze for like 2-5 seconds and went back to normal. after 10-15 seconds it freezed again. I startet a new planet and had the same problem.

Any ideas what could be wrong with my game/installaion/mods? Are there any other information u need to help me?

Hardware:
i7, 2600k
GTX770
8 GB Ram

Cheers and a nice sunday!
Schissl

Coenmcj

Considering you're running a fairly decent system, Here's a few things that you could try.

If you're getting any errors in your console, it's a good indicator of what might be breaking and causing such a serious issue.
Have you tried turning off all mods and seeing if it still occurs?
Are you running the most recent version of the Hardcore Mod-Pack? It might be due to a few disagreements that have been fixed in a more recent version of the mods. Updating might help.

Good luck! :)
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Schissl

Thx for your help!

Reinstallation fixxed it! Never had this before...

Thread can be closed!

mattb150

Hi there,

I'm having this exact problem, except a reinstall does not seem to fix the issue for me.  Just to confirm:  By reinstall, do you mean to delete the folder RimWorld.exe is in, delete config files in LocalLow, re-download/extract core game + mods, and re-run?  This is the process I used.  Maybe I missed some files somewhere?

Anyway, for me the freezes will last for about 5 seconds, and seem to occur based on some in-game clock event, as speeding up time in-game decreases the time between each freeze (ie slower in-game speed equates to longer times between each freeze).  However, I cannot seem to pin it down to a source.  These freezes come in patches; ie they will occur every x seconds for 5 seconds at a time for about 10 minutes, and then subside, giving me 10 minutes of freeze-free gameplay, then re-occur the same at before, then subside, etc etc etc on and on...

Anything else I might try to resolve this?  I can provide log/debug files as needed, however when these freezes occur, the console is not throwing any error.

I am using the latest version of the Hardcore modpack by sharkhangel, installed as per the instructions on his post.

Coenmcj

Did you redownload the modpack aswell? The poor frames may be on account of a bad upload by shark
Sometimes errors aren't sent to the console, but they head off to the output log anyway.

Quote from: mattb150 on October 28, 2015, 07:02:38 PM
Anyway, for me the freezes will last for about 5 seconds, and seem to occur based on some in-game clock event, as speeding up time in-game decreases the time between each freeze (ie slower in-game speed equates to longer times between each freeze).  However, I cannot seem to pin it down to a source.  These freezes come in patches; ie they will occur every x seconds for 5 seconds at a time for about 10 minutes, and then subside, giving me 10 minutes of freeze-free gameplay, then re-occur the same at before, then subside, etc etc etc on and on...
Considering it's freezing every couple of seconds, but is dependant on your game speed, it's most likely going to be an error of some kind.
Definitely post your output log, that should have a clear indication of what's causing it, my guess at this time is maybe a 10 ticks, 10 Jobs error, they seem to pop up a lot when modding and like to pile up a bunch, hence the freezing.

mattb150

Quote from: Coenmcj on October 28, 2015, 07:53:04 PM
Did you redownload the modpack aswell? The poor frames may be on account of a bad upload by shark
Sometimes errors aren't sent to the console, but they head off to the output log anyway.

Quote from: mattb150 on October 28, 2015, 07:02:38 PM
Considering it's freezing every couple of seconds, but is dependant on your game speed, it's most likely going to be an error of some kind.
Definitely post your output log, that should have a clear indication of what's causing it, my guess at this time is maybe a 10 ticks, 10 Jobs error, they seem to pop up a lot when modding and like to pile up a bunch, hence the freezing.

I did not re-download the modpack; I will save/close my game and try that now.

As far as errors in the console/output log, I have auto-popup enabled, and sadly no errors appear to be being thrown whatsoever.  I will paste my output log, alas it only contains the logs I called via the debug logger in my own attempts to troubleshoot the issue.

My output log is attached; I will make another post with the results of the modpack re-download.  I have quite a slow connection, so it may take a moment.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Coenmcj

Strange, Nothing in there that I can see that would suggest why it's acting so slow.

But I havn't seen that 'Obedience' thing before and there's a few of them on there.
I don't really use the logger though, so it may just be something introduced by the animal Alpha..

Hope the reinstall works! :)
But if not, Seeing as how there's alot of 'Obedience' lines, maybe there's an animal bugging out somewhere on the map, likely a mod animal, like cats?

mattb150

Quote from: Coenmcj on October 28, 2015, 08:45:28 PM
Strange, Nothing in there that I can see that would suggest why it's acting so slow.

But I havn't seen that 'Obedience' thing before and there's a few of them on there.
I don't really use the logger though, so it may just be something introduced by the animal Alpha..

But if not, Seeing as how there's alot of 'Obedience' lines, maybe there's an animal bugging out somewhere on the map, likely a mod animal, like cats?

Went out for some dinner, but I'm back now and in the process of looking more into this.  Now that I think about it, it's strange that there are so many obedience lines there, as I don't recall calling a log for anything animal-training related.  I'm wondering if maybe something is bugging out in that area, perhaps thinking that all animals on the map are trainable and freezing when it asks them something...  I just can't get over how it seems tied to the in-game clock, not a set tick interval.  I wonder if there is a way to separate what is referencing that clock, versus what is using CPU tick intervals.

Thank you so much for being willing to help; just bouncing ideas to and fro is very helpful!  You rock.

Overwriting my mod files now .....

TheGentlmen

Many might be goin' wrong things:
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at CommunityCoreLibrary.HelpController.HelpForBuildable (Verse.BuildableDef buildableDef, CommunityCoreLibrary.HelpCategoryDef category) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at CommunityCoreLibrary.HelpController.ResolveThingDefList (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 thingDefs, CommunityCoreLibrary.HelpCategoryDef category) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at CommunityCoreLibrary.HelpController.ResolveApparel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at CommunityCoreLibrary.HelpController.Initialize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at CommunityCoreLibrary.ModController.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Prob should send it to E, if you have the latest CCL.

Initializing map from file reinstall with mods Core, Community Core Library, EdBInterface, EdBModOrder, EdBPrepareCarefully, Pawn State Icons, EnhancedTabs, RW_MedicalInfo, BackstoriesCore_SK, LT_NoCleaningPlease, LT_ASA, LT_ExpHistory, ESM - MineVein, Hospitality, LT_Infusion, LT_Brighten, RWAutoSell, CombatRealism, Core_SK, Tech_SK, Enviro_SK, Harsher Map Conditions, MD2Base-13_SK, Clutter_SK, Apparello_SK, CaveworldFlora_SK, AdditionalJoyObjects_SK, EPOE_SK, Miscellaneous_SK, LT_ADogSaid, Norbals, FishIndustry_SK, M&Co. AlertSpeaker, M&Co. MiningHelmet, M&Co. LaserFence, M&Co. MMS, LT_RedistHeat, MechanoidTerraformer_SK, RT Fusebox_SK, Skynet_SK, AutoHuntBeacon, PowerSwitch, RW_A2B, RW_A2B_Selector, LT_DoorMat, CampfireParty, Suicide Bomb, and SeedsPlease_SK
Looks like HCSK, looks like your also messing a ton of mods. HCSK is know to be slow, just like either other decently big modpack. It also know to be buggy. Removing mods just makes the problem worse.

Also:
BackstoriesCore_SK,... LT_Infusion,... Apparello_SK,... Norbals,... Skynet_SK,...
More fractions, more apparel, more variety, more lag when spawning visitors and raiders. Just add PA in it will perform like molasses.

ListerPawns:

allPawns

Durham

Short

pawnsInFaction[Spacer]

pawnsInFaction[Village-at-the-mountain]

Badluck

pawnsInFaction[The Dark Arrows]

pawnsInFaction[Gabela Breixo Comboa]

Caxigo

pawnsInFaction[a mechanoid hive]

pawnsInFaction[Drug Dealers]

Rat

Roland

pawnsInFaction[Drug Busters]

Coyote

pawnsInFaction[a insectoid hive]

pawnsInFaction[Ereth Kel]

pawnsInFaction[skynet]

pawnsInFaction[Colony]

Steven

Neil

Pig452347

pawnsHostileToFaction[Spacer]

Coyote

Durham

Roland

pawnsHostileToFaction[Village-at-the-mountain]

Coyote

pawnsHostileToFaction[The Dark Arrows]

Durham

Roland

pawnsHostileToFaction[Gabela Breixo Comboa]

Durham

Coyote

pawnsHostileToFaction[a mechanoid hive]

Durham

Roland

pawnsHostileToFaction[Drug Dealers]

Coyote

pawnsHostileToFaction[Drug Busters]

Durham

Roland

pawnsHostileToFaction[a insectoid hive]

Durham

Roland

pawnsHostileToFaction[Ereth Kel]

Durham

Roland

pawnsHostileToFaction[skynet]

Durham

Roland

pawnsHostileToFaction[Colony]

Coyote

prisonersOfColony

Caxigo

berserkPawns

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

All plant data

PlantGrass

lifeSpanDays: 15.00

daysToGrown: 5

guess days to grown: 10.00

grown days before death: 15.00

percent of life grown: 150%

MTB seed emits (days): 7.00

average seeds emitted: 2.71

grown days before death: 45.00

MTB seed emits (days): 18.00

average seeds emitted: 3.17

PlantOutdoorSpectago

lifeSpanDays: 200.00

daysToGrown: 10

guess days to grown: 20.00

grown days before death: 21.05

percent of life grown: 105%

Long logs cause lag when printed out.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

obedience

obedience

Multiple repetitive logs cause lag when being printed out.

Many things might be wrong, also, I'm not sure what obedience is due to, but Its prob a bug.

mattb150

Quote from: Coenmcj on October 28, 2015, 08:45:28 PM

No symptomatic change after overwriting mod files with freshly-downloaded ones.

However, I did manage to get the symptoms to slightly change by revealing as many "hidden areas" as I could visibly find on the map.  Now, instead of occurring every ~4 seconds and lasting for ~5, the freezes are happening every ~1-2 seconds but only lasting for about the same amount of time, ~1-2 seconds.  Reveling the hidden areas was the only change I made between the symptoms being as I described them earlier and how they are now... very strange.

As for the obedience thing, I must have called that log somehow as the output log now only shows my init/injection logs; no further obedience lines have been created.

Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENT) on October 28, 2015, 09:39:16 PM
Many might be goin' wrong things:
  at CommunityCoreLibrary.HelpController.HelpForBuildable (Verse.BuildableDef buildableDef, CommunityCoreLibrary.HelpCategoryDef category) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at CommunityCoreLibrary.HelpController.ResolveThingDefList (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 thingDefs, CommunityCoreLibrary.HelpCategoryDef category) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at CommunityCoreLibrary.HelpController.ResolveApparel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at CommunityCoreLibrary.HelpController.Initialize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at CommunityCoreLibrary.ModController.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Prob should send it to E, if you have the latest CCL.

Initializing map from file reinstall with mods Core, Community Core Library, EdBInterface, EdBModOrder, EdBPrepareCarefully, Pawn State Icons, EnhancedTabs, RW_MedicalInfo, BackstoriesCore_SK, LT_NoCleaningPlease, LT_ASA, LT_ExpHistory, ESM - MineVein, Hospitality, LT_Infusion, LT_Brighten, RWAutoSell, CombatRealism, Core_SK, Tech_SK, Enviro_SK, Harsher Map Conditions, MD2Base-13_SK, Clutter_SK, Apparello_SK, CaveworldFlora_SK, AdditionalJoyObjects_SK, EPOE_SK, Miscellaneous_SK, LT_ADogSaid, Norbals, FishIndustry_SK, M&Co. AlertSpeaker, M&Co. MiningHelmet, M&Co. LaserFence, M&Co. MMS, LT_RedistHeat, MechanoidTerraformer_SK, RT Fusebox_SK, Skynet_SK, AutoHuntBeacon, PowerSwitch, RW_A2B, RW_A2B_Selector, LT_DoorMat, CampfireParty, Suicide Bomb, and SeedsPlease_SK
Looks like HCSK, looks like your also messing a ton of mods. HCSK is know to be slow, just like either other decently big modpack. It also know to be buggy. Removing mods just makes the problem worse.

Also:
BackstoriesCore_SK,... LT_Infusion,... Apparello_SK,... Norbals,... Skynet_SK,...
More fractions, more apparel, more variety, more lag when spawning visitors and raiders. Just add PA in it will perform like molasses.

ListerPawns:

allPawns

Durham

Short

pawnsInFaction[Spacer]

pawnsInFaction[Village-at-the-mountain]

Badluck

pawnsInFaction[The Dark Arrows]

pawnsInFaction[Gabela Breixo Comboa]

Caxigo

pawnsInFaction[a mechanoid hive]

pawnsInFaction[Drug Dealers]

Rat

Roland

pawnsInFaction[Drug Busters]

Coyote

pawnsInFaction[a insectoid hive]

pawnsInFaction[Ereth Kel]

pawnsInFaction[skynet]

pawnsInFaction[Colony]

Steven

Neil

Pig452347

Coyote

Durham

Roland

pawnsHostileToFaction[Village-at-the-mountain]

Coyote

pawnsHostileToFaction[The Dark Arrows]

Durham

Roland

pawnsHostileToFaction[Gabela Breixo Comboa]

Durham

Coyote

pawnsHostileToFaction[a mechanoid hive]

Durham

Roland

pawnsHostileToFaction[Drug Dealers]

Coyote

pawnsHostileToFaction[Drug Busters]

Durham

Roland

pawnsHostileToFaction[a insectoid hive]

Durham

Roland

pawnsHostileToFaction[Ereth Kel]

Durham

Roland

pawnsHostileToFaction[skynet]

Durham

Roland

pawnsHostileToFaction[Colony]

Coyote

prisonersOfColony

Caxigo

berserkPawns

All plant data

PlantGrass

lifeSpanDays: 15.00

daysToGrown: 5

guess days to grown: 10.00

grown days before death: 15.00

MTB seed emits (days): 7.00

average seeds emitted: 2.71

grown days before death: 45.00

MTB seed emits (days): 18.00

average seeds emitted: 3.17

PlantOutdoorSpectago

lifeSpanDays: 200.00

daysToGrown: 10

guess days to grown: 20.00

grown days before death: 21.05

percent of life grown: 105%

Long logs cause lag when printed out.

obedience

obedience

Multiple repetitive logs cause lag when being printed out.

Many things might be wrong, also, I'm not sure what obedience is due to, but Its prob a bug.

Thanks for all the insight!  My main concern are these lines:

This is the only clear error that I can find.

I am indeed using HCSK, but I thought I had all the mods in the correct order, as all I did was download the modpack, pull the mods to the mods folder, and uploaded the modconfig cfg file.  I haven't removed any mods manually or made any changes to the pack overall; did there appear to be discrepancies between my setup and the default HCSK setup?  If so, perhaps that is the culprit.

As for the long log write-outs, I called all of those manually, while the game was paused, via the Debug Logging Menu; the logs being generated didn't seem to me to be correlated to the micro-freezes, although I see what you mean that many lines being written at once could lead to some stutter.

Thanks for all the help so far; as of now, the symptoms of the freezes have only changes after I revealed hidden areas on the map - deleting/re-downloading all rimworld-related files (including mod files) hasn't seem to have a noticeable effect.

TheGentlmen

Thier should be 52 (51 excluding core), I counted 49. Maybe I'm garbage at counting but oh well.

skullywag

Does it do this on a new map? also any idle colonists, this sometimes causes freezes.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

mattb150

Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENTZ /'jen(t)z/) on October 29, 2015, 12:10:19 AM
Thier should be 52 (51 excluding core), I counted 49. Maybe I'm garbage at counting but oh well.

Iirc, wen I checked the mods screen before I started my colony, 4 mods were disabled by default (zombie apocalypse, among others i don't recall); perhaps this accounts for the lower-than-usual count?

Quote from: skullywag on October 29, 2015, 07:31:50 AM
Does it do this on a new map? also any idle colonists, this sometimes causes freezes.

Just tested - it is not happening upon starting a new map, nor did it occur for the ~5mins I left it running.  On the map where it is happening, I only have six colonists, and they are all very busy :P

Coenmcj

So it seems to be occurring only on that map so far.
Might be something that builds up over time, or maybe an item/pawn/building which isn't ingame when you land.

And with 49 mods running that's a fairly extensive list. ey...
Quote from: mattb150 on October 28, 2015, 09:37:26 PM
Went out for some dinner, but I'm back now and in the process of looking more into this.  Now that I think about it, it's strange that there are so many obedience lines there, as I don't recall calling a log for anything animal-training related.  I'm wondering if maybe something is bugging out in that area, perhaps thinking that all animals on the map are trainable and freezing when it asks them something...  I just can't get over how it seems tied to the in-game clock, not a set tick interval.  I wonder if there is a way to separate what is referencing that clock, versus what is using CPU tick intervals.

Thank you so much for being willing to help; just bouncing ideas to and fro is very helpful!  You rock.
Now that I think about it, I think there's a dev menu command that kills off all animal life on the map? Maybe save and give that command a try, if it's related to animals, it shouldn't be happening after that.

No problem at all, Here to help. :)

mattb150

Quote from: Coenmcj on October 29, 2015, 06:18:34 PM
So it seems to be occurring only on that map so far.
Might be something that builds up over time, or maybe an item/pawn/building which isn't ingame when you land.

And with 49 mods running that's a fairly extensive list. ey...
Quote from: mattb150 on October 28, 2015, 09:37:26 PM

Now that I think about it, I think there's a dev menu command that kills off all animal life on the map? Maybe save and give that command a try, if it's related to animals, it shouldn't be happening after that.

No problem at all, Here to help. :)

Good, strange news!!!

As per your recommendation, I scoured the dev tools for options that would allow me to eliminate variables to hone in the problem (ie delete all plants to eliminate growth cycles, all things to determine it was indeed something on the map, etc).  Finally, I came across the "Test Force Kill x100" tool, which, if used no fewer than five times, eliminates the freezes!!!!

I don't know if this is a temporary fix or if it will remain, but as of now, the game is running *freeze-free*.  There were also some strange side-effects to using the tool; each time I used it, pawns/animals/random things which were not on the map prior to use would appear, in various conditions, usually dead, from nowhere.  However, over the course of doing this fix & re-loading ~5 times to truly verify it was fixing the issue, I noticed the same pawns/animals/random things were being revealed each time, as if, perhaps, they had not spawned correctly before, and were only now appearing as I forced them to be killed.  Frankly, I have no other viable theories as to why this worked.... but it sure did!!!!  Thanks for sticking with me... you as well as everyone else who contributed!! :)

Case (sort of) closed!