What's the point of transplanting a heart or liver?

Started by Dartonian, October 19, 2015, 03:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dartonian

What are good uses for transplanting them? If either are destroyed the character dies, so what's the point?

REMworlder

Really the only use is if the heart or liver has minor damage like scarring. But damaging the heart or liver and the colonist surviving, and organ damage in general, are really rare. I don't think I've ever transplanted a heart or liver. The base chance of the heart or liver getting hit is like 2%, and made even less likely by all the stuff on top of them.

If the question's about how the transplant recipient survives, it's because he technically never is missing anything. For example, the old scarred liver is immediately replaced by the new transplanted liver during the surgery.

I did a poll on this that shows some 70% of players rarely transplant organs. It's almost a Pareto's principle setup, with 20% of players doing 80% of the organ transplants.

Wex

I transplanted mainly lungs and kidney (usually cleanly shot off), and too many to count, since alpha 7. Hearth and liver, I remember 2 and 1. One instance of heart transplant, the colonist was at 1 HP on the hearth; one time, I had a bad infection, that seemed hopeless (67 years old colonist), the new heart cured that. The liver, I don't remember.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

BetaSpectre

The kidneys, and liver are transplanted sometimes by my colonists transplanted lots of lungs though., but I haven't had a case of needing to do so with the heart.

I usually only have to transplant after a fight with a random aggro'd animal, or raid defense. Most of the time I find legs to be highest in demand. Next being arms. Then eyes. Then Jaws.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Jarwy

Quote from: BetaSpectre on October 19, 2015, 09:22:19 PM
I usually only have to transplant after a fight with a random aggro'd animal, or raid defense. Most of the time I find legs to be highest in demand. Next being arms. Then eyes. Then Jaws.

Those are prosthesis, not transplants.

cultist

Quote from: Dartonian on October 19, 2015, 03:21:37 PM
What are good uses for transplanting them? If either are destroyed the character dies, so what's the point?

A colonist may get an infection from a wound in their heart or liver that you are unable to cure before they die from it. In this case, a transplant is their best chance. I've never had that happen personally though. Infections are easy enough to deal with as long as you can keep that colonist in bed and get to the infection before it progresses too far.

Wex

Quote from: cultist on October 20, 2015, 07:16:36 AM
Quote from: Dartonian on October 19, 2015, 03:21:37 PM

A colonist may get an infection from a wound in their heart or liver that you are unable to cure before they die from it. In this case, a transplant is their best chance. I've never had that happen personally though. Infections are easy enough to deal with as long as you can keep that colonist in bed and get to the infection before it progresses too far.
Sometimes, it happens you simply fail to check all your colonists. Other times it's an old person, and he won't pull trough an heart infection. So, a transplant is in order. But those are quite borderline cases.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison